• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Going to my First Tournament tomorrow.

Dilligaf

Smash Rookie
It's a campus tournament in a small town but I've heard that really good people from around Texas have shown up in the past, and there will be a stream of it on Twitch apparently. I'm looking to represent Shulk there with Diddy Kong as a secondary.

Any tips for a first time tournament player?

Just stay calm and do your best. Remember your match ups, know when to use your moves and arts, and don't roll a lot. Most players know how to punish rolls

If you lose, don't feel bad. It's something that will make you better instead of making you feel worse and most importantly. Try to win and have fun!

Last edited:

TheHopefulHero

Smash Apprentice
Berserker sued up what I was going to say, just thought I should add on to what's already been said. Don't let the other player's reputations get to you; in Smash, anything can and will happen out there, especially when everyone leasts expects it. Just stay calm and play your best. Don't be afraid to reach out to others, it's also a way to improve and meet other members of the community.

As for gameplay, make sure you know your range, know when to use an art and take advantage of it, and also remember your visions. A well-timed vision can get you out of almost anything. Match-up wise, watch-out for those floaty characters (Kirby, Jigglypuff, King Dedede, ect..); these guys can drive you nuts as they'll try to recover in a place where it's risky for Shulk to edge-guard outside of Jump. (Usually around the bottom of the stage, but sometimes, they like to air-dodge their way towards the edge, so you might want to watch-out for that)

I think you know the rest for the tournament tomorrow (Rest-up, you don't want to be functioning at drowsyness), but we can also try to give you some more pointers if you'd like.

You got this man. Go out there and show them the power of the Monado!

Dilligaf

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the advice guys. I'll make to sure to post the results of the tournament tomorrow.

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
Nice!Good Luck!I have never been to a tournament so I really wouldn't know what to say.Use this as a learning experience for matchups and gameplay as your characters.Also can you link to the stream and time?

Virum

Smash Ace
NNID
SiLeNtDo0m
3DS FC
3368-3441-2801
I say go to the tournament trying to learn as opposed to trying to win. Very very few people perform well on their first tournament but if you can take what you learned from the matches you play you can only improve from there. Try your best to get friendlies in with different players as well. All helps towards experience.

From there begin to evaluate how good you are and set yourself realistic milestones. Did you play against someone in close sets but you ended up just losing? Try yo aim for the victory next time.

Most importantly, go in to have a good time! The competitive Smash community is full of cool people so it's always good to try to make new friends.

TheHopefulHero

Smash Apprentice
This is also a very good option btw
I second this notion. Oh, and if It's not too late to say this, don't feel pressured to show off any fancy stuff (i.e. Monado Art Lag Cancel, and Monado Art Air Turn) during the match if you don't feel comfortable about it. You know how you fight, so stick to how you roll, and do your best.

But if such opportunity presents itself, and if you're feeling it, then go for it!

Dilligaf

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the help guys! I won my first match but lost the second won, then made it to Losers Semi-Finals. I did way better than I expected to. I may post a link to the tournament when it's on youtube for some critique on my play (also some of my friends assume direct control of the shoutcasting, leading to some amusing shenanigans.)

TheHopefulHero

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the help guys! I won my first match but lost the second won, then made it to Losers Semi-Finals. I did way better than I expected to. I may post a link to the tournament when it's on youtube for some critique on my play (also some of my friends assume direct control of the shoutcasting, leading to some amusing shenanigans.)
Awesome. Congrats Man, can't wait to see the footage of your matches, if possible. Anyway, good for you.

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
Sidekick do good!

In all seriousness though, that's really cool, great job! I wish I could do that, but knowing my skill I'd probably get knocked out in the first round XD

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
Sidekick do good!

In all seriousness though, that's really cool, great job! I wish I could do that, but knowing my skill I'd probably get knocked out in the first round XD
Just as Dilligaf entered the field of battle with uncertainty, so too should you. Everyone has said that you take a tournament to learn and have fun, and I couldn't agree more - winning is simply a bonus. That being said, don't downplay yourself if ever you enter a tournament. You're not just competing against others, but you are also competing against yourself in all the mindgames and actual fighting you will do. So be strong, carry your sword with courage, and press forward towards becoming better than you are now.

... I'm being melodramatic xD but I figured the positive reinforcement should go all around for anyone going to the tournament scene. A positive mindset, not clouded with negativity or pride, will lead to the best results in a tournament I'd say.

Also @ Dilligaf Dilligaf congrats on your results in the tournament. Things will only continue to improve as long as you keep playing with the right motives and mindset. Looking forward to seeing those replays whenever they go up

Last edited:
Top Bottom