• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Going to first tourney soon.

Aiur

Smash Cadet
I'm going to my first tournament in a month or so. I plan to use ZSS and maybe some D3. Are there any good ZSS's that could teach me a few helpful tips to remember when using my ZSS in a tourney? I've only played with friends so far, so my mindgames aren't up to par. Anything ZSS can do to really confuse an opponent? Thanks in advance.

canthandletheSpeculosity

Smash Journeyman
recently i found out that up air is your best friend. imo it's just as good as side b. falling uairs are great punishing moves because they link to others. apperently if u just spam side b it's pretty easy yo get sheildgrabbed unless spaced right. learn to pr3edict rolls and punish with dsmash. a thing i do a lot is foxtrot. if you're fighting a roll spammer, and you know they're gonna roll at you, just foxtrot back, pivot, and dsmash. gets them all the time.

against good players. learn to use mindgames.

wWw Dazwa

#BADMAN
You're going to Mass Madness, right? Maybe we could get some friendlies in, or meet in tournament :o

MetaSerge

Smash Rookie
A little something I usually do is dtilt to grab at very low percentages. It's a good mindgame for when people think you might try to Fair afterwards. Just make a slight pause before the grab; too early and you might miss. Works fairly well against the space animals and even meta knight. On the grab, smack them once or twice, then down throw. This'll send them up just a little bit at low percentage. If they DI toward you, try a Down Smash to Bair/Forward B. If they DI away, do a sliding Up Smash the moment after they air dodge (most of the people I've face usually air dodged immediately after being thrown).

Oh and with all those Meta Knight's down smashing left and right all the time, it wouldn't hurt to know how to grab-release the bejesus out of them. When MK's around 60% or so, you could get in at least 2-3 smacks before they break free in the air. Do this across Final D or in some parts of Delfino and you'll get a free 15-20% with that alone. Hope this info helps. Good luck at the tourney :D

Vorguen

Smash Champion
Good luck on your first tourney and let us know how it goes. :)

As best as I can help is if you post some videos up of your fights there, so make sure you get at least some! Then we'll rate you and help you get better for your second tourney. :)

Aiur

Smash Cadet
Thank you all for the tips. Yeah, I am going to Mass Madness. It's only about an hour and a half from Hadley. Besides, I have cousins one town over from Framingham.

Top Bottom