• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Going back to Marth

Brango

Smash Cadet
NNID
Brang0
3DS FC
2750-1590-3967
Hey guys, new to smash boards. Haven't played smash in years but My main in Melee was Marth. But never played him in Brawl and wanna go back to playing Marth but people are saying that Smash 4 Marth plays like the brawl one. And boy, he feels a lot different and its taking a long time for me to get used to him. Anyone has any tips or maybe link me to a page that has tips on playing as Marth in Smash 4? Thanks, much love :)

.....btw, did they shortened his sword?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
His range is shorter than in Melee.

First thing you do with Marth in this game...is D-tilt a lot. Get familiar with that move, and realize how good it is.

Do DB out of shield against unsafe things. Up-B also is decent defensively due to invincibility frames.

You can't SH double F-air specifically in this game. Space with N-air preferably which is safer.

Brango

Smash Cadet
NNID
Brang0
3DS FC
2750-1590-3967
Ah, no SH fair anymore? Makes sense since I've been trying to do that. I'll def try to get used to Dtilt more. Thanks for the info brah :)

ClickDecision

Smash Rookie
Ah, no SH fair anymore? Makes sense since I've been trying to do that. I'll def try to get used to Dtilt more. Thanks for the info brah :)
Well let's not totally dismiss it. Our lord and Savior EmblemLord says: "SH Fair is solid. Allows you to stay in control and hop over other characters d-tilts while applying pressure. Space it well and DO NOT FAST FALL IT!!! Only time you do that is when your opponent is wide open. SH Fair still has a use in the neutral game due to Marth/Lucinas great aerial mobility and the arc of the attack. It shuts down a lot of low pokes and dash in attacks while still letting you maintain control and spacing."

Last edited:

BrianAure

Smash Cadet
Lucinia has cooties, join the Marth rebellion.

Here are some tips:
His dair spike is still a killer move and this time it doesn't lead to a suicide if you make a mistake since it doesn't have a long long ending lag.
Now that dash dancing is possible in Smash 4 (kind of), one tap dash left/right (for spacing) then f-smash opposite direction is pretty good, since tipper is still his specialty and a killer move at around 80% unless they are vectoring. (idk if this would be classified as turn canceling :/) This is good for mind games.
A fully charged shield Breaker gives you horizontal recovery so save you jump for afterwards, like in brawl.

Brango

Smash Cadet
NNID
Brang0
3DS FC
2750-1590-3967
Well let's not totally dismiss it. Our lord and Savior EmblemLord says: "SH Fair is solid. Allows you to stay in control and hop over other characters d-tilts while applying pressure. Space it well and DO NOT FAST FALL IT!!! Only time you do that is when your opponent is wide open. SH Fair still has a use in the neutral game due to Marth/Lucinas great aerial mobility and the arc of the attack. It shuts down a lot of low pokes and dash in attacks while still letting you maintain control and spacing."
Ah I see. I gotta get used to his sword reach

Brango

Smash Cadet
NNID
Brang0
3DS FC
2750-1590-3967
rg
Lucinia has cooties, join the Marth rebellion.

Here are some tips:
His dair spike is still a killer move and this time it doesn't lead to a suicide if you make a mistake since it doesn't have a long long ending lag.
Now that dash dancing is possible in Smash 4 (kind of), one tap dash left/right (for spacing) then f-smash opposite direction is pretty good, since tipper is still his specialty and a killer move at around 80% unless they are vectoring. (idk if this would be classified as turn canceling :/) This is good for mind games.
A fully charged shield Breaker gives you horizontal recovery so save you jump for afterwards, like in brawl.
thanks man. Because of his new shortened reach, I gotta get used to spacing and it's taking a while cuz I always miss the tipper by a like a pixel or two lol.

ClickDecision

Smash Rookie
rg

thanks man. Because of his new shortened reach, I gotta get used to spacing and it's taking a while cuz I always miss the tipper by a like a pixel or two lol.

There's nothing confirming his shorter reach. It's more likely a placebo of you playing the game on the 3ds.

Edit: lol sorry just realized you said you haven't played marth since melee : P my bad ^

Last edited:

BrianAure

Smash Cadet
There's nothing confirming his shorter reach. It's more likely a placebo of you playing the game on the 3ds.

Edit: lol sorry just realized you said you haven't played marth since melee : P my bad ^
Well at least it isn't badly nerfed as metaknight's range... :o

Brango

Smash Cadet
NNID
Brang0
3DS FC
2750-1590-3967

Lol it's ok.

Beninator

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GhotiH
3DS FC
1461-6196-0520
Hey guys, new to smash boards. Haven't played smash in years but My main in Melee was Marth. But never played him in Brawl and wanna go back to playing Marth but people are saying that Smash 4 Marth plays like the brawl one. And boy, he feels a lot different and its taking a long time for me to get used to him. Anyone has any tips or maybe link me to a page that has tips on playing as Marth in Smash 4? Thanks, much love :)

.....btw, did they shortened his sword?
He plays just like Brawl Marth, if Brawl Marth had no range, was slow, and all his attacks gave slightly more knockback (not enough to actually be more powerful, but just enough that you can't follow up an attack.)

If you want to play Marth more, I'd recommend Brawl, where he was my favorite. I love him in Melee, but he's just too easy. Marth was like, the one character to actually get more complex in Brawl, since sweestpotting was harder (but not too hard), and the lack of hitstun (though he was still one of the best at comboing).

Play him in SSB4 if you want to feel sad.

Okay, I'm overreacting, but Marth in SSB4, even if good, doesn't play a thing like Brawl or Melee Marth, who I felt were actually kinda similar.

Brango

Smash Cadet
NNID
Brang0
3DS FC
2750-1590-3967
Yea Marth is very different. Like I am trying really hard to make Marth work for me but it's hard. I know some people can make sm4sh Marth work but I personally can't. So I went to try my other main, Falco......I-I don't wanna talk about it :(

I might need to find a new main for this game. People have suggested Lucina but plays just like sm4sh Marth w/o tipper. Patiently searching for my new main :)

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
Marth can no longer Fair wall, and quite true that he plays much different than his previous iterations. With Marth's new meta being developed and all, I can't blame you for wanting to change.

If you still wish to use Marth though, I'm sure there are a couple of guys here that can guide ya through him as he is now. If I can be of any help too, I'll gladly give it.

Brango

Smash Cadet
NNID
Brang0
3DS FC
2750-1590-3967
Thanks man :)
Although I will be looking for a new main, I still have a soft spot for Marth so he's gonna be my secondary. I guess my biggest problem so far with him is his mobility and his new range. But what do you do when you use him?
Marth can no longer Fair wall, and quite true that he plays much different than his previous iterations. With Marth's new meta being developed and all, I can't blame you for wanting to change.

If you still wish to use Marth though, I'm sure there are a couple of guys here that can guide ya through him as he is now. If I can be of any help too, I'll gladly give it.

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
Thanks man :)
Although I will be looking for a new main, I still have a soft spot for Marth so he's gonna be my secondary. I guess my biggest problem so far with him is his mobility and his new range. But what do you do when you use him?
Now I'm not the best spacer with Marth I'd think, but he does have new options for approach (not just the Fair, which does still work). You have the short hop shield breaker, which in the air actually pushes you slightly forward after using it. This hides the true reach of the attack and keeps your opponents on their toes of when to try and block you. Charging it slightly also helps read perfect guards, and some don't expect how far it actually reaches (especially since it seems to have an interesting reach slightly below the blade).

Another option is the short hop dancing blades, where you only do the first slash, then a number of options are open to you. Think of it like you would a fair, but afterwards you're free to act into another attack or retreat. This approach is a treasure trove of mixups, so give it a try and you'll see what I mean. I personally opt to use this over Fairs even xD

Probably the last thing is just getting use to the nerfed range and commitment. I'm still adjusting too, and I occasionally go for spacing like I had in brawl, but really I rely more on the two above for how I deal with my opponents. Fairs can leave you open, so either attack and retreat, or attack and go over your opponent with it. Should the initial attack succeed when you try to jump over, you can follow up to a fsmash or ftilt. There's also full jump Fairs, and cancelling recovery by performing a Nair just before touching the ground, but that's all based on how high you jump.

If ya want more details on all of this, its all there in that post I made on Setups/Combos/Strategies. We can always play against each other if you want a visual representation

Top Bottom