• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

GnW can Double jump after Fire.

Dr. Robotnik

Smash Journeyman
So, i have not seen any info about this in the character discussion, but after NWM i had heard that gnw could double jump after fire. Thinking it might be like megaman where you can just double jump right after the move, i was soon met with the fact that you could not and didnt test it further. But after rethinking it today i decided to lab gnw even closer and found you must do an imput, not just release from Fire (Up-B if you are unaware of the name of the move) and than you may do anything, including double jump, expect for using fire again.

Uses that come to mind: using a drop down quick fire off ledge and not snapping to the ledge, than using a falling nair, bair, or fair and than double jumping to ledge or stage. Great way to cover the edge as it gives him so much time and hit boxes to cover the edge.

finishing a combo with a fire after a short up, nairing to bait an air dodge, jumping to either get another move in, or retreating to safety while both are mid air.

thoughts?

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
It has been mentioned multiple times, there's just no where where that info would be. we don't have a guide or anything yet.

PEPESPAIN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PEPESPAIN
3DS FC
1306-8476-2667
Can you explain how to do this?

When you say.... GNW Can double jump after fire... you mean

Fire -> Attack -> Jump
Fire -> (Frame 1) input X (Cancelled action on frame 2)-> (Frame 2) Jump

I read what you wrote but I'm not sure what you mean....

Dr. Robotnik

Smash Journeyman
Can you explain how to do this?

When you say.... GNW Can double jump after fire... you mean

Fire -> Attack -> Jump
Fire -> (Frame 1) input X (Cancelled action on frame 2)-> (Frame 2) Jump

I read what you wrote but I'm not sure what you mean....
Im curious if the second option is possible, but yes i meant the first one. air dodging also works too and is the fastest option but i find nair is the safest.

PEPESPAIN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PEPESPAIN
3DS FC
1306-8476-2667
The best option is fastfalled N-Air (IMO) :p

TheMiSP

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
MISP#673
NNID
Collin9476
3DS FC
1564-3898-1072
Switch FC
SW-1536-5988-9478
Man, I reaaaalllly wish G&W can just SJ after Fire for more recovery/Fire somehow didn't make it. Been watching too much Project M I guess.

I mean, at least let him be able to do it after Trampoline Launch up b. Then I'll love that move.

Last edited:

BlakDragon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BlakDragon
3DS FC
2938-7104-7763
Pressing down mid-descent to put away your parachute will rob you of your own double-jump, even if you didn't use it during that airtime, so be careful.

edit: This should mean that using d-air or Oil Panic mid-descent is out of the question for offstage play, but if you buffer the input for either move during the last of your ascent frames, you'll keep your double jump.

I'm glad I eventually studied this move and found that out; I used to SD by being clumsy with Fire, which wasn't fun.

You know what IS fun, though? U-throw > Fire > Oil Panic may be a legitimate combo at very low (5-15)%, dependent on the victim's weight of course. I think this is handy if your oil stock just barely misses out on the KO after just a d-throw.

I say "may be" because I'm not sure if good DI can escape that string; the few opponents I landed it on, made no attempt to DI.

Last edited:

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
^These are actually really useful things to know.

Honestly though the dair thing isnt that big of a deal. I can't think of many situations where you wouldnt have been effed from the get go doing a dair out of Up-B and saving your jump

TheMiSP

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
MISP#673
NNID
Collin9476
3DS FC
1564-3898-1072
Switch FC
SW-1536-5988-9478
So should I stick to regular Fire or go with Trampoline Launch doing
Jump> Launch> Fair> Second jump?

I feel like that covers more distance, but idk at the same time.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
I dunno about the custom moves i don't play with them

However most of the time the jump after Up-B is moreso used purely as a mixup

I don't see it being able to cover more distance

Dr. Robotnik

Smash Journeyman
im pretty sure i have used gnw's down air time and time again without killilng my double jump after fire.

BlakDragon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BlakDragon
3DS FC
2938-7104-7763
Paid another visit to Training mode. There are two more ways to keep d-air and doublejump after Fire each airtime:

1) perform d-air with a button that has down smash (or down attack?) mapped to it
2) press down ever-so-slightly, just enough so you can perform d-air without putting away the parachute

Last edited:

Seleir

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Yoshigold
3DS FC
2707-1692-7697
Switch FC
2632-8168-1029
guys i dont understand how to do this, what is fire?

BlakDragon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BlakDragon
3DS FC
2938-7104-7763
Another word of caution regarding Fire: pressing up mid-descent also puts away the parachute (and kills your double jump).

I didn't notice this until a few days after my initial finding; I map up-smash to my d-pad on Wii-chuck & use that to safely use u-air an retain my double jump.

Ephenilliac

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ephenilliac
3DS FC
5455-9900-2775
Didn't know about the double jump after fire, this is very useful information!

Top Bottom