• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Glitchy? damage w/out knockback

The Derrit

Smash Lord
BRoomer
recently this has happened to me a couple times. i would be beginning to use mewtwo's fair, either before it comes out or during recovery frames, and be hit by an attack. yet while i took damage, i didn't get flinched by it, the most notable being one of samuses' charge beams. its happened on a couple different cubes so i have no idea what's going on. anyone else ever had this happen?

quak

Smash Champion
called a phantom hit, it occurs when your just on the border of the hitbox's range. You take half damage that it would normally deal. All attacks that aren't grabs can do this, for all charactors.

Bungalobill3

Smash Rookie
Is the Roy Zone when you get knocked back without taking damage? I can't remember.
Anyway, what is happening when you hit someone, and there is a white splotch that comes up on contact, kind of like a regular attack, but it has no knock back and no damage. I used to think that this happens the same way that a phantom hit does ( I have never gotten a phantom hit on my game), but it has happened with marth's sourspotted attacks. I would really like to know about these things.

EDIT: I just went to the Roy forums. The term is defined in one of their stickied guides. The Roy zone is named after the character it affects the most. It happens when an attack connects, but gives no knockback or damage. I pretty much described what it looks like. Instead of the usually color splotch that appears when you hit, a white one appears instead, and it tends to push the enemies back. I think my record is having this happen six times in one match, it happens to me a lot.

DelxDoom

Smash Lord
White splotch? Powershield? (or whatever the non projectile thing is)

And uh. Roy zone is when you swing with a move usually with Roy and your sword goes through the enemy without doing anything. At all. I think. Gamefaqs vocab thingy. And it's happened to me before.

Metà

Smash Master
I do not completely understand how phantom hits work, but I have viewed some phantom hits in frame by frame, and I think I might know why it happens. It seems like the hit box doesn't actually connect at all. It's not just the 'border' of the hitbox hitting them, because there is no border. Each hitbox is just an area of an attack that does a specific amount of damage (changes over time usually) with a specific knockback (again, usually changes over time). If you view the hitboxes in frame by frame, you'll notice that the hitboxes stretch as they move. The stretch leaves behind what I call a 'hitbox shadow'. The hitbox shadow is, to my knowledge, a replica of the original hitbox. However, the hitbox shadow is usually not the part of the attack that hits, since a single hitbox shadow usually exists for only one frame. I am not always sure whether a given hit connects using the normal hitbox or its shadow, but I usually assume that it is the original hitbox. Usually when I view a phantom hit, it occurs one or two frames after the shadow. This really confuses me, because I don't completely understand how the hitbox stretching works, but I'm fairly certain that it is somehow related to phantom hits.

That's just my observations and whatnot, so if it doesn't make sense, oh well. Maybe someone else can explain it. -_-

quak

Smash Champion
I do not completely understand how phantom hits work, but I have viewed some phantom hits in frame by frame, and I think I might know why it happens. It seems like the hit box doesn't actually connect at all. It's not just the 'border' of the hitbox hitting them, because there is no border. Each hitbox is just an area of an attack that does a specific amount of damage (changes over time usually) with a specific knockback (again, usually changes over time). If you view the hitboxes in frame by frame, you'll notice that the hitboxes stretch as they move. The stretch leaves behind what I call a 'hitbox shadow'. The hitbox shadow is, to my knowledge, a replica of the original hitbox. However, the hitbox shadow is usually not the part of the attack that hits, since a single hitbox shadow usually exists for only one frame. I am not always sure whether a given hit connects using the normal hitbox or its shadow, but I usually assume that it is the original hitbox. Usually when I view a phantom hit, it occurs one or two frames after the shadow. This really confuses me, because I don't completely understand how the hitbox stretching works, but I'm fairly certain that it is somehow related to phantom hits.

That's just my observations and whatnot, so if it doesn't make sense, oh well. Maybe someone else can explain it. -_-
makes sense, i see the hitbox shadow as well over on smashwiki.

Top Bottom