• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Give me some tips

SHIP

Smash Apprentice
I recorded a bunch of games against a friend and would really like some tips on how to improve.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLhPv8uANQesDHm6_QZVS7zQRktYxC1hc4

There's 3 games against Falco, 3 against Peach and 3 against Marth. For some reason my capture device doesn't record PAL in colour so sorry about that :'(.

I feel like im pretty good against Falco, ok against Peach (considering how bad the matchup is) and bad against Marth.

Last edited:

BluntMaster

Smash Rookie
Approaching:
Use projectiles/nana as bait. Desynched ice block with nana -> approach with popo is really good. If they try to shield the ice block, punish with a grab. If they dodge it, you can keep the pressure on with desynched iceblocks or something else. Also, nanapults are amazing against marth. If you don't already know how, go learn.
Another good approach is wavedash->jab-> downsmash/grab. Grab if they have their shield up. If the jab hits or you think you might shieldstab, dsmash will work.
Combos:
Against peach and marth, i saw a few dash attack-> uair combos. These are really good, and i think you even could have hit with a second uair/bair depending on DI in many cases.
I didn't watch all of the videos, but I saw you used the reverse diar chaingrab on marth and peach but i didn't see you go for any chaingrabs on falco. If done properly, the regular dthrow sh dair chaingrab is inescapable by falco (afaik)

As far as neutral, I can't give you a ton of advice because I feel it's one of my biggest weaknesses, but I think you need to play a lot more conservatively and try to make the opponent approach you. I know its kinda lame being campy in friendlies but when it comes to tournament, everyone is playing to win so you have to do whatever it takes.

dizzkidboogie

Smash Cadet
I really like that you aren't too dependent on grabs. One of my problems is that I go for too many grabs, and my game becomes one-dimensional. The best thing about not being to dependent on grabs, however, is that you get more grabs, so it's important to have great punishes! Learning all of the chain throws is a must (down throw->down air->regrab, solo Ice Climber down throw->regrab, solo Ice Climber down throw->short hop neutral air->regrab, and others) and being able to wobble is good too (I saw you messed one up against Peach on Dreamland, so I'm assuming that you want to use wobbling. There is quite a wide range of tempos that work, so find one that's comfortable for you and practice with a metronome! I like 190-200; a lot of Nujabes songs have those tempos, so you can play along with them!). A strong grab punish game not only gives you great mileage out of your grabs, but also forces your opponents to choose less comfortable/familiar options to try to avoid your grabs (When your friend played as Peach, for example, he was playing the matchup recklessly, but it worked for him because you didn't punish his approaches strongly enough; if your shield gets dash attacked, you should always be able to get a grab out of it!).

One thing I've found really helpful is taking time to learn percent ranges for combos. For example, against Falco on Pokemon Stadium, you go for solo Ice Climber dash attack->grab when he's at 0%. Normally that's a great combo (especially with both Ice Climbers), but it's really difficult (impossible?) to do at such a low percent with only one Climber. A better choice might have been dash attack->down smash. Another example is on Yoshi's Story against Falco. You got a grab and did a down throw, which the Falco didn't DI. It was smart of you to recognize that and go for the smash attack, but because he was at a low enough percent, he was able to tech roll before your forward smash could connect. A better choice might have been to down smash instead. Knowing percents is great not only for kills off grab combos, but also knowing exactly what kinds of follow ups work at what percents helps keep the surprises to a minimum (you'll always know what's coming next and have less reading and reacting to do).

I also feel like you could use the dual squall recovery more often. When you belay (especially without doing the ledge grab cancel thing), it leaves you separated and gives your opponent an easy chance to KO your backup Climber (At the end of the Marth match on Battlefield, you never regained control of both Climbers from using that belay and eventually lost the stock and game for it). It's also good to use multiple recovery options so that your opponent can't get used to what you do and anticipate for a big punish. It's especially important to mix it up when recovering solo, because it's much harder to get past edge guards. One thing I like to do (If I'm high enough in the air) is shoot an ice block (kind of like Dr. Mario throwing pills). It can help to keep your opponent away from the edge and/or distract them, and the first ice block gives you a little aerial boost, so you don't lose too much in the way of recovering. Getting up from the edge, I didn't see many (any?) ledge hop->wavelands (can be followed by jab, down smash, grab, up tilt, and others). Those can be really useful, especially if you do it fast enough to preserve the invincibility from having grabbed the ledge (like Hax does with fox). It's safer and faster than some of the options you favor (especially getup attack ESPECIALLY above 99%). Again, just another way to mix things up!

Always DI up and behind Peach when she grabs you (That's the best DI for the forward throw, which has a lot of knock back). If you see she's going for a down throw, then you can DI straight behind her (otherwise she'll get you with an up smash like your friend did on Fountain of Dreams). Those are generally the two throws Peach will use (unless she back throws you off the ledge, but you can react to that and DI accordingly, and it's not a good option for her anyway; down throw gets an up smash or edge guard for her anyway). Peach players LOVE to down smash; even the best can be baited into it! On Fountain of Dreams, make sure to crouch when you're under a side platform at its medium height. They'll think they can get you (but they can't!) and you get a free punish!

I like the way you play! You've obviously done research, based on your skill, but you can always study more! Make sure to watch videos of the best players and see not only what they do well, but what they do differently from each other. I learn a lot from watching Wobbles (especially for his speed, fluidity, and creativity), Fly Amanita (especially for his strategic approach and decision making), Chu Dat (especially for his reads and spacing), and Nintendude (especially for his implementation of subtle/finesse techniques like auto-cancelled aerials). There are many other great players to study; that's just a starter list! Everybody is unique, and you'll learn something different from all of them!

Keep it up; Ice Climbers for life!

S2rulL

Smash Journeyman
You shoulda come up to King of the North in Newcastle! I coulda tried to help you out a bit! But yeah, I like how you don't rely too much on grabs, as that is a bad habit formed by most Ice Climbers in the current state of both Melee & Brawl. I saw you might have flubbed some attempts at wobbling, however that's easily fixed, either by audio or visual cues, whichever you prefer, of course! (I use visual cues personally, combined with my natural good sense of rhythm.) But yeah, I think DKB kinda summarised everything else I was gonna say but good stuff dude!

Top Bottom