• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Give advice to a fellow Lucina please! (replay Included)

Hellzsaint

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hellzsaint
3DS FC
0087-2525-0130
Hey, I've been really liking Lucina as a character. She's very fun, but a lot of the time I can't punish people who roll spam or play defensively with projectiles

Here's a match I put up (sorry for the crappy audio. I couldn't figure out how to capture on my webcam so I used my phone.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COIlz08bQf8

Last edited:

CommanderPepper

Smash Cadet
NNID
CommanderPepper
3DS FC
5455-9558-8826
If you want to punish a roll use a tilt normal. Lucina's f tilt has good range and is relatively safe to throw out here and there. You can use here u tilt to hit opponent rolling behind. If you have a read on the opponent use a f smash to punish the opponent.
As for projectiles you can use a short hop into f air to punish a person who doesn't think twice about throwing them. You did it a 3:31.
Some other advice is to not use side b as much as you did or at the very least don't do all 4 attacks of the side b. You whiffed it a lot, the Samus could have grabbed you each time or even worse throw out here charge shot. I hope this helps.

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
Alot of what Marth does, Lucina can do about the same, so try using running shields to break off the projectiles and keep rushing forward. You do this by holding down the direction you're running towards, then press and hold the shield button to slide to a stop with the shield up. This is very useful, especially for the next part.

When you know they keep rolling, run after them and bait them to keep rolling. There's a brief moment after they roll that they're open, so go for the running shied > grab. If you wiff, you're still safe since you're using a standing still grab instead of a running grab.

Be weary of using the ftilt though, as though it does cover a good space, it does have frames that you are left out in the open. Use it to tech read opponents, and you should be good. Short Hop FAirs and NAirs are part of Marth's approach tool (as CommanderPepper mention)s, not so much the side b. Side b is more for tech reading, like ftilt.

I'd recommend just learning what all of your options can do, especially the a attacks. Those ones are your go tos for answering every character in the game (and are part of the fundamentals xD). Like CommanderPepper, I hope this helps ^^

psychoripper

Smash Rookie
I think the absolute biggest thing here is how much you are relying on your side b combo. You leave a lot of exposure with it. Adn also when you get a successful finish with it you don' seem to really attempt and follow ups or baits after word.
Another thing I would suggest from what ive seen is instead of side b use other moves to try and get them horizontal rather than vertical. And when you get them off the edge do you best to try and get some aerials like f-air or b-air to keep em away more frequently

Top Bottom