• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gimping: A Discussion

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
Basically the title pretty much says it all. With good reads, you can still gimp with Jigglypuff in this game, although it's much less than other iterations. Pretty much discuss ways you like to gimp, or have questions about gimping.

To me, Nair is like the new Bair for Jigglypuff (except Bair is still a good kill move). Using Jigglypuff's multiple jumps in conjuction with Nair can allow you to carry people off stage with good prediction and timing (not a Wall of Pain, per se, since they aren't in hitstun the whole time, but akin to that). I've mainly done my experimenting in For Glory, but there are several characters that you can go pretty deep with in terms of recovery and Nair them so they can't make it.

I'll edit this post as people put new stuff in. Please contribute! I second/tert Jigglypuff currently, so I'm leaving a lot of stuff blank.

Characters with crappy recoveries/ more likely to gimp:

:4littlemac:

Characters with decent recoveries/ still a chance to gimp

Characters with CRAZY recoveries, like no way ever hahahah

Things to watch out for when gimping:

SPIKES/meteors. It's just not worth it sometimes! Characters like ROB, Robin, and the Links have pretty powerful moves that push you downward, most likely making you lost a stock.

To be updated as more people post. Thanks!!

Last edited:

JaegerEC

Smash Cadet
It all depends on how your opponent is DI'ing. If they're DI'ing up or trying to jump, you can definitely WoP people with Fair off the stage and into the blast zone really easily especially if they have crappy recovery. If they're below you, or DI'ing downward after Fair, you can use Nair to hit them further from the stage. Nair is also excellent for stage spiking and can punish characters like Sheik who like to hang out around the edge for a while with no invincibility. Run off stage> fast fall Nair can definitely stage spike for an easy stock on stages like Battlefield. Bair is honestly not great for gimping. It's just too slow imho. Good for edge guarding when you can predict how they will be approaching the stage and they're in kill % range. Dair is good for interrupting and displacing people trying to get back on the stage because of it's really long active frames, so it's pretty useful, but the downside is it doesn't spike or have a set knockback, so sometimes it can actually push them up closer to the edge helping them get back to the stage which is kind of annoying when that happens >_> Pound isn't terrible either, even though it hits them upwards possibly closer to the ledge, its really long active frames can cover a lot of your opponents options for getting back on the ledge if placed properly

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
you can really mess with a lot of characters with wall of pain, like rosalina and the pits, because they just be slapped out of their recovery. yeah nair is really good because it stays out a while, fair is basically nair except with a bit more power and range in front, bair sucks compared to the others unless you read an air dodge or something, but i'd just nair because it stays out long enough to cover that sometimes. dair is like nair except the area it covers is less useful imo and nair comes out quicker.

UNCjer

Smash Rookie
I disagree with Villager and Rosalina being hard to gimp. I think lucario at mid to high percents is harder to gimp (assuming a high level player).

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
I think :4rob: can go under "Characters with good recovers / still able to gimp."

JaegerEC

Smash Cadet
Lucario can be seemingly impossible to gimp/edge guard at times. His recovery is insane. Rob has good recovery but it's not too difficult at all for jiggly to gimp/edge guard him. Worst thing that can happen is going off stage to gimp him and getting hit with his Dair that's pretty much the big thing to watch out for. Villager is not too hard to gimp for Jiggly. Her nair can pop his balloons really easy. Other characters yeah but not so much for Jiggly. Rosalina....I have trouble with her, but I have yet to fight a non-laggy, good, Rosalina. I find her recovery obnoxious though, kinda like Lucario but not as ridiculous.

Top Bottom