• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Getting worse...

NadaisaGod

Smash Apprentice
I've been playing on a much more frequent basis lately, but the more I play, the more it seems like I'm degrading. I used to consistently SHFFL all my moves perfectly, decent mindgames, reliable waveshine, etc. But, now, the more I've been playing, my SHFFL seems to lack a FF or L sometimes, my mindgames seem dulled down, and my wavedash tends to mess up. When I shinespike, I'm beginning to lose that fluid, efficient in-and-out movement, and shineturn, then jump. Occasionally, it happens in the middle of combos when I try to full jump, shine, and JC to a wavelanded jab grab or something. Is it just some sort of horrible fluke that's affected me, or is it a phase that may soon be over?

Pye

Smash Journeyman
Montreal. PM me if you're on the island! I need op
You may be playing too much. I know that, personally, if I don't get enough sleep, or if I play for long periods of time at a time, I start to feel clumbsy. My hands aren't as dexterious as they should be, I can't seem to time anything I can usualy do no problem, and my overall gameplay is slowed down significantly. My typing on a computer also becomes clumbsy, and I make a lot of mistakes unless I type at half my normal speed. One time, I wasn't even able to SHL consistantly in a match. 2 out of 3 lasers didn't come out (I'm a Falco main. SHL is normally second nature to me).

Try not playing for a few days, or getting some more sleep if possible, then try playing against someone. Don't worry, your tech skill won't suffer due to only a few days of not playing.

Psi

Smash Cadet
I have the same problem but not due to lack of sleep. If I play too long my brain goes into repeat mode and stops focusing on what I'm doing. Once that happens I suck until I go take a break and come back to it.

Lord-Geo

Smash Cadet
It's cuz you play fox. And god hates you for that.

On a more serious note.

Jerry... I hardly play Smash unless its against real players... When I DO play it is just the original smash.

Find another fun game and just relax on that for a while.

Ermm.... I actually had the same problem. And as you've noticed. I've gotten relatively better. Comboing cpus or just overdoing the game could cause you to just get bored of the game.

Play some Mario Kart until next Saturday and come to the biweekly and WOW the poo out of us.

the problem

Smash Apprentice
Well like most of you said if you constantly play and don't get enough sleep... you play like ****. What you should do is take brakes i only play on weekends and when I'm bored and i don't lose skill =/

ihatethecape

Smash Ace
loss of sleep, smashed out, fatigue are the main causes of me not being able to do that ****.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
This happened to me as well, unforunately I never got back to normal. The fact that my mom stopped me from playing my GC for over a month and a half only made it worse.

I think if you play with friends you should probably get back your groove.

NadaisaGod

Smash Apprentice
It's cuz you play fox. And god hates you for that.

On a more serious note.

Jerry... I hardly play Smash unless its against real players... When I DO play it is just the original smash.

Find another fun game and just relax on that for a while.

Ermm.... I actually had the same problem. And as you've noticed. I've gotten relatively better. Comboing cpus or just overdoing the game could cause you to just get bored of the game.

Play some Mario Kart until next Saturday and come to the biweekly and WOW the poo out of us.
Gotten relatively better? From Mr. Can't-L-Cancel? Kekeke. >_>

On a less serious note (:p),

I play games severely faster paced than this, and I'm used to playing fast paced games for prolonged amounts of time. I've played much longer sprees than this one, and this is the first time that I've ever noticed a severe degradation skill wise. I haven't touched the game since then, and here's to hoping I improve for the biweekly.

Chitose

Smash Rookie
Just take a break maybe. I tend to do better when I come back to a game after I've taken a rest period of a couple of days. I also have phases where I get better, then get worse and then get better than ever before.

Tsukuyomi

Smash Journeyman
Here are my guesses on what may happen:

1) You got bored [probably because you want SSB:B to released already]
2) Facing a friend who you pitty
3) Facing with a someone you like or someone cute
4) Spacing out [probably because of #3]
5) Plain tired
6) Uncomfortable setting of gaming place [chair's to lumpy, its hot, you being naked, etc.]
7) Recently got an injury/sickness or came out of the hospital
8) Ate something and didn't wait an hour before playing
9) Came from school with knowledge in your mind
10) Made love with someone
11) Remember something embarrassing
12) Remember something embarrassing while making love

Well, there's plenty more...

Tyson651

Smash Lord
probably too much smash makes u lose interest and enthusiasm, therefore not paying much attention.

otherwise, ur going over a certain learning curve of mindgames, which once over, ur mindgames increase and u just start to build ur technical skill behind.

usually after i take a break when that happens, and resume after a few weeks, im pumped, and my mindgames are better.

happens to me, but u just give it a try.

EDIT: oh btw, playing with noobs too much which are significantly crappier than u also lowers ur skill and mindgames and such, especially when u play with them for a hella long time. the reason being is, u become lazy, theres no thrill or "need" to try hard, and u build bad habits that u can only pull on a noob, and not on someone who is well experienced or near equal in skill as u.

Lesheik

Smash Lord
Ehh, I have actually been playing too much recently and I feel I am getting worse, too. So I'm just going to stop playing for a while and see how things turn out. :)
It happened to me too.. It's not that you got worse. It must've been that:

A. You forgot how to do something(s).
B. You changed your techniques unintentionally or intentionally and it didn't work out.
C. You were off on that match.

Okay... These are all common signs of "Ithinkigotworse" disease..

The following are cures for "Ithinkigotworse" disease:

(In order from top)

How to fix (A)
- Retrieve what you lost before. Exercise your brain so it doesn't happen again.

How to fix (B)
- Remember your techs, and keep using them. If you feel there is a problem with your techs, intentionally change them. This symptom is common in "Ithinkigotworse" because at times most smashers change their style up during a battle by guessing whats wrong. Know what's wrong with your techs, and fix them. If you play a multi-fold amount of matches and you experiment (as in guess what the *bleep* is wrong and try to correct it on your own)with your techs in all of those matches, your brain will put those techs in your head, and you'll get worse and worse trying to find out what's wrong. Find out what's wrong by asking for advice or stealing someones techs. Sometimes people get lucky and actually get better in smash by guessing what the *bleep* is wrong and trying to correct it. However, most don't, and they get worse.

How to fix (C) - You f***** up in the match. Figure out what you did wrong in that match and fix it by asking for advice, stealing someone's techs, or practicing. Of course maybe the person got lucky or he/she is better than you; that could be why you lost.

It was probably just an off match for you.

FireBomb

Smash Lord
Being an only child, I know what it's like to not be able to get yourself going for a while. There isn't much to do by yourself if you want to get better, so I'm starting to find myself playing for short amounts of time now. Getting bored and everything will slow you down, while playing with friends gets you more into it. You can't really get worse unless you have a drastic change, so keeping yourself entertained with another game might be for the best.

Twin Dreams

Smash Ace
I stopped reading after a few posts, because as usual in MD, every one repeats the first opinion. Assuming you are a normal human being that recognizes sleep as a necessity over video games, I'm not going to tell you to go to bed. You've conveyed that this has been a long term problem, so it isn't that you need a break.

Do you play alone? Lack of competition has dulled the experience.

Do your friends suck? Playing bad people makes you dumb down your game. I would recommend playing good people more often than bad people. If your friends are the only people who you can play with, pick up a new character. You're friends will get better eventually. At some point though, you need to get your *** kicked.

How much have you played? Is your controller wearing out?

There are many reasons why you may not be playing efficiently. Enter a tournament. The adrenaline should put you back on your mark.

NadaisaGod

Smash Apprentice
I guess a few things applied to me. Lack of sleep, but it doesn't really throw my game usually. Not that great opponent, he uses Dr. Mario, and spams one combo. Dash attack > Dsmash > Usmash > Uair spam. Pretty avoidable with SHFFL'd nairs. But that's where part of the problem kicked in. My L-Cancels held over and my shield popped up, a problem I've never had before. Maybe I was off because I was playing a defensive, pillspamming Doc. I'm really not a defensive sort of person with Fox. >_>

Lesheik

Smash Lord
I stopped reading after a few posts, because as usual in MD, every one repeats the first opinion. Assuming you are a normal human being that recognizes sleep as a necessity over video games, I'm not going to tell you to go to bed. You've conveyed that this has been a long term problem, so it isn't that you need a break.

Do you play alone? Lack of competition has dulled the experience.

Do your friends suck? Playing bad people makes you dumb down your game. I would recommend playing good people more often than bad people. If your friends are the only people who you can play with, pick up a new character. You're friends will get better eventually. At some point though, you need to get your *** kicked.

How much have you played? Is your controller wearing out?

There are many reasons why you may not be playing efficiently. Enter a tournament. The adrenaline should put you back on your mark.
Wow.. I never thought about those possibilities..

the_air_up_there7

Smash Ace
Laredo Texas (training mode), offseason :)
You been problably been playing too much, give it a rest. Or maybe you just suck at it. Or simply you just know too much, and all these moves run through your mind, and you can't decide what to do. Also do you excersice often? maybe that's the problem :laugh: . No but really. Other problem would be that maybe you use too many characters, but no I don't think that's the problem.

Top Bottom