• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Getting the Kill

Nymphbits

Smash Rookie
Rosy is my main, Obviously~ But I've been feeling a bit suffocated while playing her lately, and was wondering if some of you guys could help me improve? Some of the biggest problems I'm having are against rush/beatdown characters like captain falcon, I end up just not really knowing what to do and getting juggled like a beach ball.

The biggest issue for me right now is getting that final K.O. hit. This might just be a fundamental problem, but when my opponent reaches a high percentage, my play goes down really bad, and I mentally lock up. I can't seem to figure out anything meaningful to do with her other than F-smash! F-smash! F-smash! F-smash! Typically, no matter who they are, my opponent will make a humiliating comeback. ;_;

Any Expert Rosy players have any advice to offer?

~Nymph

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
F-smash isn't Rosalina's only finishing move. There's also the u-smash and u-air. You basically need to be less predictable with your battle strategy; mix it up a little.

Garde Noir

Smash Journeyman
Rosy is my main, Obviously~ But I've been feeling a bit suffocated while playing her lately, and was wondering if some of you guys could help me improve? Some of the biggest problems I'm having are against rush/beatdown characters like captain falcon, I end up just not really knowing what to do and getting juggled like a beach ball.

The biggest issue for me right now is getting that final K.O. hit. This might just be a fundamental problem, but when my opponent reaches a high percentage, my play goes down really bad, and I mentally lock up. I can't seem to figure out anything meaningful to do with her other than F-smash! F-smash! F-smash! F-smash! Typically, no matter who they are, my opponent will make a humiliating comeback. ;_;

Any Expert Rosy players have any advice to offer?

~Nymph
The most consistent kills are not with Smashes, but with Juggling and Gimping.
Watch how Dabuz plays, I really like his style and approach with Rosalina. The game shouldn't be about high percentages, but instead each part of the game should be treated as equally likely to KO your opponent. Rosie isn't a combo character like Falcon or Marth, where the goal is some threshold percentage number before the KO is ensured. Rosie is a control character. Your goal isn't to knock them really far off the stage, but to control their movements and predictions the entire game.

For example, every time they're in the air, you should be juggling them. This can be done with Up-Tilt, Up-smash (with it's godly 7 I-frames) or Up-Air. If you play it correctly, you can usually KO upwards before "high" percentages are reached. It's less about the KO, and more about limited options, however. The KO will come. Tips for that can be found all throughout the board.

The other more consistent Rosie kill is offstage. Bair is a really good reverse-approach tool, and because you have Luma, it allows for more strong hitboxes. With Rosalina's amazing recovery, you shouldn't be afraid to go out far, or down deep to make sure they can't recover. Don't be afraid of Offstage! Especially with new ledge-mechanics, that's where most of the game is taking place.

I hope I at least answered some question, or got you to think a slightly different way. Rosie doesn't act like other characters, and so we can't really think like other characters. Don't THINK about the KO, think about control and the KO will come.

Nymphbits

Smash Rookie
The most consistent kills are not with Smashes, but with Juggling and Gimping.
Watch how Dabuz plays, I really like his style and approach with Rosalina. The game shouldn't be about high percentages, but instead each part of the game should be treated as equally likely to KO your opponent. Rosie isn't a combo character like Falcon or Marth, where the goal is some threshold percentage number before the KO is ensured. Rosie is a control character. Your goal isn't to knock them really far off the stage, but to control their movements and predictions the entire game.

For example, every time they're in the air, you should be juggling them. This can be done with Up-Tilt, Up-smash (with it's godly 7 I-frames) or Up-Air. If you play it correctly, you can usually KO upwards before "high" percentages are reached. It's less about the KO, and more about limited options, however. The KO will come. Tips for that can be found all throughout the board.

The other more consistent Rosie kill is offstage. Bair is a really good reverse-approach tool, and because you have Luma, it allows for more strong hitboxes. With Rosalina's amazing recovery, you shouldn't be afraid to go out far, or down deep to make sure they can't recover. Don't be afraid of Offstage! Especially with new ledge-mechanics, that's where most of the game is taking place.

I hope I at least answered some question, or got you to think a slightly different way. Rosie doesn't act like other characters, and so we can't really think like other characters. Don't THINK about the KO, think about control and the KO will come.
Hey thanks~ ^^ That was really nice of you to give such an in depth response! It definitely has me thinking differently about my play options. I think the mindset was something I was lacking quite a bit of.

If you'd ever like, maybe we can play a few games online and spar a bit together sometime? Any of you who are willing. I'm in much in need of friends as I am of improvement with Rosie. ^^;

@ Mario & Sonic Guy Mario & Sonic Guy Thanks for your answer too. Avoiding being predictable can be really tough. I find myself getting emotional a lot during a match. Tensing up, getting frustrated, ect... During moments like that it's really tough to think things through. But yeah.. dunno if it ever gets like that for you. If you ever wanted to play a few games and critique my play, I'd greatly appreciate it. :D

Garde Noir

Smash Journeyman
Hey thanks~ ^^ That was really nice of you to give such an in depth response! It definitely has me thinking differently about my play options. I think the mindset was something I was lacking quite a bit of.

If you'd ever like, maybe we can play a few games online and spar a bit together sometime? Any of you who are willing. I'm in much in need of friends as I am of improvement with Rosie. ^^;

@ Mario & Sonic Guy Mario & Sonic Guy Thanks for your answer too. Avoiding being predictable can be really tough. I find myself getting emotional a lot during a match. Tensing up, getting frustrated, ect... During moments like that it's really tough to think things through. But yeah.. dunno if it ever gets like that for you. If you ever wanted to play a few games and critique my play, I'd greatly appreciate it. :D
We all played like that a lot at some point. It's hard NOT to be emotional about something you're invested into. Hey, you cared enough to get an account to ask your question here, right? You obviously care.

But you have to read my signature-- the part in green? That's what's REALLY gotten me better.

The reason Smash has such an amazing community is because it's so responsive and in depth. There are strategies for each character yes, but it can be responsive and manipulated-- it follows you, not the other way around. Play Rosie as you will play her, but watch some of the best to see how others do as well.

Last edited:

mat7772

Smash Cadet
Was gonna make my own thread but saw this and I have a similar question - is nair a reliable kill move?

Last edited:

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Was gonna make my own thread but saw this and I have a similar question - is nair a reliable kill move?
I think it used to be way back before the patches. It takes waaaaaaayy too long to get to kill percentage for it. It is good for Luma Landing though.

Anyway, getting the kill consistently I find is mostly about gimping, or getting the up-air.

Down-air is the main gimping tool, as just throwing it out when the opponent is trying to recovery can get them hit by Luma. The best use of down-air though would be the spike, so you really have to time it.

Getting the back air is also helpful as Luma makes a nice extra hitbox that actually reaches pretty far.

Up-air is another great way to kill, and the most reliable way of doing that is through up-throw.

For gimping, remember you can go pretty deep due to Rosalina great recovery.

The smashes are good only if you get a good read. Don't go throwing them out.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
Not on stage. Hitting with Luma while they are recovering high has gotten me a lot of success. What I like about Nair is that if you miss with you can usually catch them with the end hitbox of Rosalina even if they air dodge Luma.

Getting the back air is also helpful as Luma makes a nice extra hitbox that actually reaches pretty far.
This is especially true if you RAR at the latest moment. Since there is a Delay in Luma moving when Rosalina turns around, the RAR will keep Luma in place and the back air will extend Luma even further.[/quote]

Last edited:

Nymphbits

Smash Rookie
This is especially true if you RAR at the latest moment. Since there is a Delay in Luma moving when Rosalina turns around, the RAR will keep Luma in place and the back air will extend Luma even further.
What's RAR Stand for if you don't mind me asking..?

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
What's RAR Stand for if you don't mind me asking..?
Not at all!
RAR = reverse aerial rush

The idea: dashing towards your opponent, then turning around and jumping at almost the same time. This will carry your forward momentum from dashing, but you will be facing away from your opponent in the air allowing you to do a back air if you want. You can perform any aerial.

This can be performed by any character. This helps Rosalina out because as she dashes, Luma stays in front of her. When she turns around there is a slight delay in Luma changing positions. So if your perform an attack, specifically back air, Luma will get added range.

bmaster77

Smash Apprentice
NNID
bobatapioca
Not at all!
RAR = reverse aerial rush

The idea: dashing towards your opponent, then turning around and jumping at almost the same time. This will carry your forward momentum from dashing, but you will be facing away from your opponent in the air allowing you to do a back air if you want. You can perform any aerial.

This can be performed by any character. This helps Rosalina out because as she dashes, Luma stays in front of her. When she turns around there is a slight delay in Luma changing positions. So if your perform an attack, specifically back air, Luma will get added range.
is this the only way to have luma's bair extended forward, or is there another way outside of RARing to achieve this?

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
is this the only way to have luma's bair extended forward, or is there another way outside of RARing to achieve this?
This is the primary way. The idea is that since Luma, when connected, is always in front of Rosalina, a normal back air won't have as much range because of Luma's natural position.

So if you can come up with different ways to manipulate Luma's position, then yes.

Karinole

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Karinole
Best kill options I've noticed at high percents:

On-stage:

Neutral B - If charged just a little bit you can kill many characters at high percents. Good against rush down.

Jab string (non-multi hit) - The third hit of jab with luma does a surprisingly large amount of knockback.

F-Smash - Kills but is very unreliable as it is slow coming out. Use only in landing punishes or hard reads.

U-Smash - Best on-stage kill move; does good damage and has amazing knockback. Use it primarily as a punish tool.

Short-hop Holy Dair - Only works with luma but does a large amount of knockback if luma hits them in the right spot.

Holy Uair - Great for juggling the opponent and can kill very early if your opponent is caught unawares.

Off-Stage:

Holy Dair - The halo spikes people down. If you have luma it will most of the time hit them away horizontally but that's okay because it will usually stage spike them or knock them too far away to recover. The best way I've discovered to set this up is to run off the edge as they are trying to recover from below and throw out the dair before they can react. It's almost guaranteed on characters like falcon, ganon, link etc.

Bair - Gets people trying to recover high and hits harder with luma.

Don't be afraid to rush off to get it because that up-b is so good you can recover from most anything. Hope I helped.

Top Bottom