• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Getting Tech Chased

JakeLaser

Smash Rookie
So I entered my first tournament this weekend. I usually play friendlies and haven't played too much on the competitive side. I was happy with my performance but I had a couple of issues using falco.

My main concern was getting tech chased constantly! It seemed like no matter which way I rolled (immediately or delayed), my Falco was easily tech chased and grabbed/combo'd. Even when I just got up or did a get up attack, it was easily readable and I got punished.

Is there any way to be more unpredictable or ways to manage avoiding tech chasing?

pkblaze

Smash Apprentice
Don't get grabbed I guess. Falco hasn't got an amazing tech roll. You could try to DI up to land on platforms. Also a thing I heard Mango does it rotate his control stick rapidly right before he techs. This has the effect of making it so that his techs are effectively random.

JakeLaser

Smash Rookie
LOL so does Mango not even know where his tech goes then if he is just rapidly rotating his stick? Idk I guess it's something I will have to work on.

pkblaze

Smash Apprentice
LOL so does Mango not even know where his tech goes then if he is just rapidly rotating his stick? Idk I guess it's something I will have to work on.
I think that's sort of the point. You can't read where he's going to tech if he doesn't know where he's going to tech.

Ogopogo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3797-6544-0935
At least it's not Falcon's roll.

It's tough to be "random" with your rolls, but rolling the stick seems like an effective way to do that. Just make sure YOU can react to your rolls.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
C-stick doesn't change your tech direction IIRC. Your best bet is to mix up your techs/roll direction, and WAKE UP SHINE. Its godlike for all the spacies, hits first frame on wakeup, and leads to free combos. Falco already has amazing tech rolls so tech away and wake-up shine makes it nearly impossible for some characters to grab you again. if they start going for DAs or smashes then wake up spot dodge is amazing as well. wake up spotdodge > shine is obnoxious as well.

DJ _ICE

Smash Apprentice
A tip that I know is that tech rolling the same direction you DI is a really easy option to read. Also rolling into the stage is usually a bad idea against someone smart cause that's usually the first option they cover mentally

JakeLaser

Smash Rookie
I like all of these ideas. I will definitely work on them. Thanks you all!

Drodeka

Smash Journeyman
I have a large amount of experience getting tech chased, mainly by sheik, and I will break down how I feel you should combat it.
Ahem.

If your opponent is the type that waits just a bit of distance away from you and either dash dances or stays in place, your best bet is to roll away from them. HOWEVER, if they are a fast character, you are close to an edge/wall in that direction, or they are moving in on you at the moment, don't roll away.

If your opponent is the type that stands overtop of you and shields or waits for rising attacks, roll toward them OR rise in place and then immediately spot dodge. If they punish the roll through, the rise in place (done by pressing up or shield without left or right) with spot dodge will most likely make them miss a grab, which you can punish with your own grab or shine into combo, depending on how you feel.

If you are teching and not lying still for a moment, you are usually easier to re-grab, so try to mix-up when you tech and when you lie still. And NEVER lie still for very long, you will always get hit.

Hope it helps!

Top Bottom