• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Getting Shield Grabbed/ Approach Problems

JakeLaser

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I have a few quick questions / concerns with my falco gameplay.

So I noticed that I have been having some issues with getting shield grabbed on my approaches lately. I definitely vary how I approach my opponents with the use of dance dancing / wave dashing. I usually approach my opponents with a short hopped attack immediately followed by a wave shine. When I vary my timing and approach, it can be effective but I always get shield grabbed at least 3-5 times a match on my approach.

If I understand Falco correctly, I thought that If i SHFFL'd some Nairs or Dairs into a shine canceled jump, I shouldn't be grabbed because of some invisibility frames. Sometimes I get shield grabbed on the Nair or Dair, other times I get grabbed after I shine before I can jump or wave shine out of it... Am I just not getting out of the shine fast enough or L-cancelling fast enough on my approaches?

Also, if you have some suggestions on how I should practice my approach game / combo game, please let me know. I feel like I have easily mastered all of the basics for Falco and I can play him relatively fast, but I need to now get better with the small things that will add up. Thanks!

KingDozie

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, I have a few quick questions / concerns with my falco gameplay.

So I noticed that I have been having some issues with getting shield grabbed on my approaches lately. I definitely vary how I approach my opponents with the use of dance dancing / wave dashing. I usually approach my opponents with a short hopped attack immediately followed by a wave shine. When I vary my timing and approach, it can be effective but I always get shield grabbed at least 3-5 times a match on my approach.

If I understand Falco correctly, I thought that If i SHFFL'd some Nairs or Dairs into a shine canceled jump, I shouldn't be grabbed because of some invisibility frames. Sometimes I get shield grabbed on the Nair or Dair, other times I get grabbed after I shine before I can jump or wave shine out of it... Am I just not getting out of the shine fast enough or L-cancelling fast enough on my approaches?

Also, if you have some suggestions on how I should practice my approach game / combo game, please let me know. I feel like I have easily mastered all of the basics for Falco and I can play him relatively fast, but I need to now get better with the small things that will add up. Thanks!
You will always get shield grab depends on the player, The thing you need to focus on is to DI the throws. You should also use spot dodge,Jab dash back then dash forward, and Double shine or shine jc grab. For Approach i guess bait and shoot more laserz and make sure you time your shffl well.

JakeLaser

Smash Rookie
Okay, any tips on using spot dodging and/or crouch cancelling with falco? I know it's always safe to crouch cancel into shines, which is effective with falco, but I don't spot dodge too much.

pkblaze

Smash Apprentice
Just FYI the reason it's supposed to be relatively safe is because of shield stun, not invincibility frames. Dair and Nair both do a lot of shield stun (Nair does more but people like Dair better because it's easier to combo/shieldstun with) and Shine does a disproportionate amount of shield stun because it's an electric attack. Only the first frame of shine is invincible.

For crouch canceling, it depends on the move you expect to be hit by. If it's Peach's downsmash, you're royally ****ed. Personally I use a lot of crouch cancel D-tilt vs. Puff, but that's cuz my tech skill sucks and D-tilts are EZ. Still, I think it's the best counter Falco has on Puff and maybe other floaties when they're at high percent.

For spotdodging, it's a mixup/mindgame thing. You should spot dodge when you expect them to throw something at you that isn't like Peach or Shiek's Dsmash. Upon hopefully spotdodging the attack, you shine as soon as you're able. If the animation doesn't show you crouching or standing, you did it fast enough. Also if it works, you did it fast enough.

JakeLaser

Smash Rookie
Okay cool.

Do any of you have any ideas on how I can practice some of these techniques for Falco? Should I just go into training mode with level 1 CPUs and practice Pillaring and SHFFL'd moved and such? That's what I've been doing along with some level 9s but it's obviously not going to be DI'd or teched like a human would do

Zekk

Smash Apprentice
Okay cool.

Do any of you have any ideas on how I can practice some of these techniques for Falco? Should I just go into training mode with level 1 CPUs and practice Pillaring and SHFFL'd moved and such? That's what I've been doing along with some level 9s but it's obviously not going to be DI'd or teched like a human would do
To me if you want to practice Falcos combos you want to train with 3 different types of opponents
A CPU
Human (Spacer)
Aggressive (human)

Top Bottom