• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Getting out of a Plateau with Jiggs

Legendre

Smash Rookie
I have been playing jiggs a bunch recently, and I have all the important rest setups and Wall of Pain and other necessary combos, however I keep getting beat by foxes through laser percent and upthrow upair and random upsmash. I have been smash DI ing upair when I can, but I feel like I have plateaued with Jiggs and am not improving. Are there any tips on how to improve to get around these foxes?(This isn't about techskill, but more like how to continue to increase my play level to combat the fox matchup)

Mtank

Smash Cadet
Well here's some general tips for the fox matchup: look for sneaky grabs, throws can lead to rests on bad di, or lead to edgeguarding situations which could easily result in a kill. If you are above a fox, ive found it useful to put out a nair and fastfall down, so that if they try to jump they will just hit their head. If youre close enough to the ground when you hit the fox with your nair, you can auto cancel-grab them. If a fox is running away from you lasering, unfortunately the smartest decision is probably to plank (if you are ahead) in all honesty, but you should only do that if youre a weenie and you dont think you can take them foreal. I'll usually just try to keep them in a corner (in fact I like smaller stages vs fox for this reason) by spacing bairs, and crossing up with nair-grabs every once in awhile. Up-airs under platforms is reeeally good. Also if they are rando up-smashing you, theyve probably caught on to your movement/landing patterns, so consider mixing things up like how many jumps, where you land, etc.Also I've found forward smash very useful n this matchup, if they are ever approaching you while youre on the ground, throw out a forward smash for the trade, itll be well worth. (you can also wavedash back before fsmashing for cleaner results.)
Just keep on thinking. Puff relies on out-thinking your opponent, and getting cheesy rests.

krazyzyko

Smash Champion
What helps me vs foxes is to stay airborne. Waveland instead of doing a bair to avoid getting grabbed. Or keep jumping and edge cancel on platforms. Also, use sing to grab the edge from further, you can buffer an edge tech with this too.

Try to put hitboxes to catch Fox jumping Oos, where fair might be the only aerial that can hit you.

Last edited:

Sarej

Smash Cadet
I have been playing jiggs a bunch recently, and I have all the important rest setups and Wall of Pain and other necessary combos, however I keep getting beat by foxes through laser percent and upthrow upair and random upsmash. I have been smash DI ing upair when I can, but I feel like I have plateaued with Jiggs and am not improving. Are there any tips on how to improve to get around these foxes?(This isn't about techskill, but more like how to continue to increase my play level to combat the fox matchup)
Funny you mention getting grabbed, I have a friend who's a Pikachu main (we are currently trading sets back and forth but I've beaten him in tourney/mm's (basically when it counts) 80% of the time. Well he has a decent Fox or rather he plays Fox smart, he noticed how I would always land close, grab and you know etc. (still working on smash DI too). Eventually I learned I can't do that anymore and have to reevaluate my approaches. The thing about campy Fox is when they are shooting lasers you are going to take hits no matter what, what you can do is get close but no close enough for him to jump out and hit you but just close enough for him to feel comfortable using his lasers and right as he jumps inch closer and attack while he's busy throwing lasers out.

I find that works vs a lot of laser based Fox players, it's different for each Fox player I find though. Some are just full out aggro and those are the easiest in my opinion because Puff is all about aggro. Some will literally wait for you to approach and go for a grab, this is actually somewhat alright because you can bait them hard and call the read super easily.

Just takes time man, get used to the matchup, find a practice partner who plays Fox and just play him over and over again. I've also been finding short hop into nair while moving backwards (you have to nair fast enough so it auto cancels) can be a good way to disengage.

Top Bottom