• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Getting Aggressive, Comic Style

ImpossiblyRood

Smash Apprentice
I know that Toon Link has a bad rep for being a campy, cowardly, bomb-throwing, auto-comboing, irritant of a cast member, so we can get those statements out of the way.

While Toon Link has a very capable toolkit for the projectile tossing, runaway playstyle, why has nobody tried to get a bit more agressive, ala Lucas? Don't get me wrong, I know TL isn't Lucas. I don't think TL is as blatantly aggressive as Lucas' seem to be, but he has a decent offensive toolkit for approaches. My comparison comes from Lucas' sh PK freeze and TL bombs or sh 'rang both being capable approaches/neutral coverage.
Rather than running around or camping, what's to stop you from tossing a boomerang or bomb on approach and just getting into people? He has solid combos and close range tools, and ranged tools for dealing with people who can out-priority or outrange him and covering his approaches. I'm slowly working on my Toon Link, and I usually opt for a more aggressive play-style, unlike when I play my normal Link, where I camp far more actively because to his shorter projectile windup and more solid pressure options.

This might seem like a kinda noobish question, but it's more of a rhetorical one. What am I missing here? Why aren't you getting in there and kicking some tail?

Side note: Take what I say with a grain of salt, as this is a semi-outside view of the TL meta.

Last edited:

Skootarius

Smash Cadet
Toon Link can't get all in there crazy because... well that's just not true at all.

The general "style" of Tink is Gorilla tactics (Sorry Donkey Kong), but they're very hit and run. That being said, you're not wrong. People disagree with me because there is this sort of Toon Link "expectation" that he is a rangy camper, but in reality it's that expectation that leaves him an under developed character.

I don't usually play an Aggro Tink, for the reason that Aggro makes you stupid and Tink can't easily go toe to toe with the more Aggro characters. He has a hard time beating them at their own game. That being said, I don't play a campy Tink either (Except against some characters that have a hard time dealing with it.) For the most part, in my opinion, Tink is a very neutral and well rounded character. His nair can be shuffled very well and leads into D-tilts and then into and Up-B like a clockwork kill at med-high %'s.

It's my opinion that it's the newer Tinks that camp and projectile spam in every match. My advice, play Tink with no projectiles a few matches (or at least no boomerangs or bombs). Really get to know that base character and see that he's pretty friggen good even without all that. A smart Tink is a dangerous thing. Then after you feel comfortable you can re-implement it. I find that I use bomb's arrows, rangs more effectively now that I'm not just chucking them all over the place.

A very good question about a topic not often talked about. Thank you. I hope this helps.

ImpossiblyRood

Smash Apprentice
I hope this helps.
It does, actually. I hadn't considered forgoing projectiles to learn tink better, but it seems like a good idea.

I completely agree that Tink can't be as CQC as, say, Marth - his range is vastly inferior. But a guerrilla-style Tink seems to be potent idea. As I mess around with him more, I'll keep that idea in mind. That's how I currently play adult link at the moment, so it might be smart to use Tink as a possible substitute for when my Link isn't cutting it for whatever reason. Hopefully other Tinks can be inspired to rid the character of his nubbish and camper designations.

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
Toon Link gets this because of Young Link's reputation, in reality his offensive CQC options are very good. Most of his moves do lots of damage, come out fast, cover many options and have little endlag.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I haven't read much of whats here because tl;dr but
Toonlink is ridiculously aggressive. He's an aggressive zoner, the only toonlinks who are campy are the players, not the character.

MrDrJacob

Smash Rookie
NNID
MisterJacob
There's a difference between spamming and using projectiles to your advantage. Usually I'm able to set up a boomerang+arrow+bomb+auto combo into a nair or a forward smash if the tech incorrectly.

Dautrix

Smash Rookie
I came from a Marth background before I jumped into Project M. I was used to keeping my opponents at bay with the blade. After awhile I found myself looking at Toon Link, in his Pajama costume. It clicked with me right then and there, not only did I see myself in this character I soon discovered he matched my playstyle perfectly. I am a very offensive Toon Link, with a very in-your-face kind of way. I can't explain how much I love his speed and combo capabilities. I don't even have to play campy, I use the bow most of the time close up, along with the boomerang. It was great when I went to my first Tournament and used Toon Link.

>>>>My reaction to their reaction of how well I did playing as T Link

Aio Project

Smash Rookie
Yea all this about aggro Tink is cool but i really don't think that aggro is the right word. The way i see it, you want to use the projectiles to force your opponent into non-ideal situations. It's similar to zelda's din's fire. I tend to think of it as keeping up a wall of projectiles and if they can get in you bair or nair or zair them out. As far as offence though, the guerrilla style works, due to the fact that you can literally throw out a hit box from anywhere (bomb/boomerang mostly)

Top Bottom