• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Georgia Power Rankings Discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaddd

Smash Lord
After much conversation with GaPeach, we concluded that our Power Rankings, as a state, are lacking due mostly to the following of tradition. Anyone with a decent IQ knows that tradition is just about the worst reason to do anything, because you end up repeating your own mistakes and the mistakes of others. This isn't to be a discussion about our Rankings List, it is a discussion about out Panel.

The Georgia Panel used to be sufficient to judge the rest of the state, but as of recently, the shift in ability amongst members of our state has brought many to question how exactly certain members of the panel got there. It seems as though the ones who know the most about the game in our state are being silenced and outweighed by a group of Georgia Smashers that seem to lack the knowledge or love for the game, or even sheer ability of players much more qualified, like Mike G.

Therefore, I say we take a poll. Some sort of vote to legitimately decide how this panel is to come to be, rather than having a group of average ranked players decide for the rest of the state. It's also come to light that certain members of the panel have arranged a list based on personal feelings towards members of the Georgia community, and according to their own agendas for themselves.

This is why I ask: Where was I when we all decided our panel would be:

-FullMetal
-DogySamich

???

None of these members have ever come close to consistently placing 1st at tournaments, nor have they battled for it consistently. The only other member who is supposed to be active is Mike G, and from what I've heard, he's pretty much been ignored in his opinion. The last list was actually decided almost entirely without him. Sounds pretty fair and balanced (like Brawl, right?).

Here are the people I feel are more than qualified to represent the panel members of Georgia:

-XIF
-Carter
-Alpha
-Mike G
-GaPeach
-Renegade Marth
-GaWes(duh)
-FullMetal

I have excluded myself, despite my history of consistent first places, for obvious reasons. This includes the fact that I don't feel it would be proper for me to suggest myself for such a list, considering how I would say I should be #1, and several people in this state clearly have a problem with that for unexplained reasons.

I know for a fact that I had no say at all in the most recent decisions regarding the panel, and now I am staring down the barrel of an under-qualified panel and I'm told to 'stop complaining and deal with it'. I know that if I, as #1 at the time, was not asked even for a vote on who i thought should be on the panel, that more than a few very qualified members of our community were overlooked as well. The scrubs should not simply be able to vote themselves in to determine the status of our state's rankings.

Discuss.

GA Peach

Smash Lord
i agree with this, and as Chad stated before, he and i have talked much about it. As not mentioned, though, I feel that with the current panel, Chad and others may not get an unbiased discussion about their rank. I feel that with a change, we may be able to achieve that. Also, I want to take more into account when rankings are done, as I feel that they represent more than what people are trying to view it as. I think that doing the rankings while taking into account whom the person in question played during their brackets as well will help it to be more fair. I still think, and always have agreed, that being able to do rankings matches/challenges is a good idea. First, it'll show actual skill level between the players in question, and secondly, it will force people to be more alert and involved in their position. These are just thoughts, but I do believe they will help our PR better represent our state. Your thoughts, please.

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
A reimagined panel with new standards would be a good idea.

Eugenio

Smash Lord
Sounds cool. I agree with this mostly. I remember back in the era of Wes, when he would lay down a ranking list and that was it, no arguments.

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
well, that's because he was GAWes.

look at how we've deteriorated without him ;-;

Anomic_Punk

Smash Champion
I agree with pretty much everything thats been said in this thread.

Why I'm on the panel: GAwes wanted me to be a panelist to take his spot when he left for the UK.
I'm certainly in no position to say if I'm qualified to be on the panel or not, but I THINK I am.

However if they community wants a completely new panel, and I'm not chosen to be on it- I certainly won't complain.

Its no cake-walk to decide the PR, having to set aside personal opinions and objectively evaluate skill and tournament placings to rank your friends.
Especially when SOMEONE is always going to be mad.

Don't kid yourselves about the PR when Wes was here- there were still people who were discontent with them...
It just didn't matter, because all of GA respects Wes so much, no-one would question his judgements. <3

But I'm all in for a revised panel and system of deciding the PR.

I think the round-robin idea works best for the most current update, though.

ama(m/t)

Smash Lord
this placings-based panelists idea is biased against me

i never come 1st cause i always make sure the ladies do

;)

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
A small thing that I feel should be addressed: it needs more people. An odd number is good, but I think that it's easier to eliminate bias with more people. Five sounds good to me.

Mike G

███████████████ 100%
BRoomer
OK I talked to some people about this and If you all want to do this thing over, We'll have a poll to see who you all want to be the new panelists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom