• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Generic (insert character name here) main #67352

FrankDaTank

Smash Cadet
So I don't play smash 4 much on my 3DS, mostly a Melee/Project M player, but one thing I have noticed from playing a decent amount of For Glory is how pretty much everyone I've played against who uses Ness, Mario, Little Mac, Bayonetta, or any other characters you can name that you see all the time online, do the exact same things over and over and over again.

Ness "mains" do nothing but back throw, PK Fire, and down throw forward air over and over again.

Mario "mains" do nothing but down throw up tilt nonsense and sometimes up airs or Up-B's.

You get the point.

Honestly, I main Link and it's really just boring watching someone do the same thing over and over again with those characters. It's as if I'm just playing against the same person over and over again who plays Ness and just tries to grab you 20 times (Yes, literally 20 times in one match), Bayonetta players who tries to do the same Witch Twist zero-death stuff, and Mario players who just do the same thing as every other generic Mario main in the world. It sucks the fun out of the game because it's as if I'm just watching instant replays over and over again. There's no variety in the playstyles of these people.

Oh and for the record, this isn't a salt post. Just an observation on the last 15 Ness, Mario, and Bayonetta "mains" in a row I played online and they literally all did exactly the same thing as the other respective people who played those characters.

Arrei

Smash Lord
You may just be paying too much attention to their bread-and-butter moves. Many characters in fighters will want to go for similar options when they get in an advantageous position because they're reliable and safe. The key thing that distinguishes players is how they manage to maneuver themselves into those advantageous positions - are you paying attention to their mixups, their baits, their mindgames?

NoLoudNoise

Smash Rookie
NNID
NoLoudNoise
When I play Mario on FG it's almost exclusively to dunk people lol

FrankDaTank

Smash Cadet
You may just be paying too much attention to their bread-and-butter moves. Many characters in fighters will want to go for similar options when they get in an advantageous position because they're reliable and safe. The key thing that distinguishes players is how they manage to maneuver themselves into those advantageous positions - are you paying attention to their mixups, their baits, their mindgames?
Mixups? What mixups? You mean run up and shield or run up and grab? Shielding and especially shieldgrabbing in this game seems to be far too powerful because doing pretty much any aerial on someone's shield will just results in you either getting grabbed because you're too close to them or them dropping shield to run up and grab you because of landing lag.

Most people will just sit in their shield, wait for you to hit their shield, and because of the absurdly low shieldstun, will be able to grab you somehow. It seems like the entirety of this game is grab, throw, attack over and over again.

FrankDaTank

Smash Cadet
Mario, in my opinion, is horribly unbalanced in this game relative to the characters that are worse than him. Like Link. Or Roy. OR Bowser or DK or quite a few other characters.

Arrei

Smash Lord
Mixups? What mixups? You mean run up and shield or run up and grab? Shielding and especially shieldgrabbing in this game seems to be far too powerful because doing pretty much any aerial on someone's shield will just results in you either getting grabbed because you're too close to them or them dropping shield to run up and grab you because of landing lag.

Most people will just sit in their shield, wait for you to hit their shield, and because of the absurdly low shieldstun, will be able to grab you somehow. It seems like the entirety of this game is grab, throw, attack over and over again.
Then you're not doing it right, to be blunt. If one is waiting for you in shield, then depending on the type of character the approaching player using, they can harass them from afar with projectiles, space out ground and aerial moves to poke from a safe distance trying to make them make a mistake, go for a tomahawk or command grab, try to cross them up with an aggressive approach so that they'll attempt to punish but miss, etc. Each of these options have patterns of movement that the player can then change up to throw their opponent off. Changing a typical jump approach into an air jump at the last second to fake an opponent out. Aiming to jump clear over the opponent to throw a back aerial at the opponent's rear. Landing akin to a tomahawk but throwing out an attack instead because they know their opponent is prone to dropping shield immediately to try and punish. Threatening with an autocanceled aerial at max range into an immediate ground attack, running away the next time and trying a pivot grab.

Perhaps, you find these people doing the same thing because most of them found it worked on you?

Last edited:

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
Your problem is trying to base off how players play them through FG, really...
Also, the balancing in all Smash games is kind of a joke, but Mario really isn't what anyone would call OP. Mario is still an incredible character, but he has a mediocre recovery and below average range to balance him out. Maybe you could exploit those weaknesses.

FrankDaTank

Smash Cadet
Your problem is trying to base off how players play them through FG, really...
Also, the balancing in all Smash games is kind of a joke, but Mario really isn't what anyone would call OP. Mario is still an incredible character, but he has a mediocre recovery and below average range to balance him out. Maybe you could exploit those weaknesses.
I would honestly say it's far better in Melee and Project M because at least every character can combo to some degree, be it off of throws or otherwise. OR at least tech chase which doesn't really exist at all in this game.

Also, I never once said Mario is OP. While his recovery isn't the best compared to someone like Jigglypuff if he doesn't have a jump, because of how slow and floaty the game is, he is able to make it back 99% of the time because of the air dodging system? See someone coming out to hit you away? Air dodge. And you get back on stage. Simple.

Also, while Mario's overall reach is not very good, does that really matter when he has a 9 frame up smash that kills someone like Ike at around 120% with no rage? Or when he's a decently fast enough character that can exploit someone like Link or any other sword character whiffing an attack even if it's well spaced?

Mario is not OP, but after the nerfs to Sheik and Bayonetta, and to a lesser extent ZSS, he is easily Top 5 in the game right now. Compared to the rest of the cast below him, Mario's "balance" is an absolute joke.

Matt11111

Semi-Casual Modest Scrub
NNID
Mat11111
Right. Why would you attempt something if you know it will result in more risk and less reward? At the same time, though, You could probably call me a generic :4ness: or :4mario: because I go straight for the throws at the beginning of the match and start to rack up some damage. I don't really mix things up, I just do what works.

I suck at Smash.

Oh yes. I did that to my friend last week and it felt so satisfying.

Top Bottom