• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General tips for a new Wolf main?

uCooL

Smash Ace
NNID
SuperMurio
My go to combo is N-air, shine, B-air or F-air, depending on the character im fighting i get get N-air, shine x2 or 3 before the b-air or F-air.

some things i've picked up:

1. holding up or down influences height gain on side-B a lil bit

2. SH lasers to wave dash cuts the land lag obviously. Are people wave dashing straight down in order to throw out lasers faster? If so i cant seem to do it.

3. Always taunt with the "whats the matter scared?" when you kill someone.

If anyone else has any useful tips/comprehensive videos for me id really appreciate it.

AbstractLogic

Smash Journeyman
Welcome aboard! It wasn't too long ago that I chose the wolf to accompany the communist monkey in my quest. I'll go ahead and start off and say that your shine is your bread and butter combo starter/extender/ It's truly great. To start off yes you can influence the Side-B's angle as well as the length. pressing B shortly before Wolf jumps forward can trigger this. Short Hop lasers are best wavelanded forward or backward ideally. It can be used as a retreat or an approach. I am considering editing the bsrar to have a "Can't let you do that Star Fox" over one of the taunts if anyone is interested. I'm open for recommendations on placement.

Some tips for using wolf. Learn his SHFFLs VERY well, they are amazing. Learn to combo into his Side-B. there are a bazillion setups for it and it kills very early. Practice his grabs and their follow ups, his gab game is pretty sweet. All of his aerials are great at comboing so learn when to use what. Wolf's combo game is very deep as is his offensive game in general. Don't be too ansy to rush in all of the time either, Wolf is very good at baiting and has the speed to react to it. Sometimes the best option is a rushdown, sometimes it's just poking with tilts and B-airs. Knowing when to shift between these will help you in the long run. If you would like some videos of good Wolf play I would HIGHLY recommend anything from SilentWolf or Chillindude829 on youtube. These two are sick and make it look way too easy honestly.

uCooL

Smash Ace
NNID
SuperMurio
Welcome aboard! It wasn't too long ago that I chose the wolf to accompany the communist monkey in my quest. I'll go ahead and start off and say that your shine is your bread and butter combo starter/extender/ It's truly great. To start off yes you can influence the Side-B's angle as well as the length. pressing B shortly before Wolf jumps forward can trigger this. Short Hop lasers are best wavelanded forward or backward ideally. It can be used as a retreat or an approach. I am considering editing the bsrar to have a "Can't let you do that Star Fox" over one of the taunts if anyone is interested. I'm open for recommendations on placement.

Some tips for using wolf. Learn his SHFFLs VERY well, they are amazing. Learn to combo into his Side-B. there are a bazillion setups for it and it kills very early. Practice his grabs and their follow ups, his gab game is pretty sweet. All of his aerials are great at comboing so learn when to use what. Wolf's combo game is very deep as is his offensive game in general. Don't be too ansy to rush in all of the time either, Wolf is very good at baiting and has the speed to react to it. Sometimes the best option is a rushdown, sometimes it's just poking with tilts and B-airs. Knowing when to shift between these will help you in the long run. If you would like some videos of good Wolf play I would HIGHLY recommend anything from SilentWolf or Chillindude829 on youtube. These two are sick and make it look way too easy honestly.

Thanks for the info! So how exactly would i extend the length of the side-b?

AbstractLogic

Smash Journeyman
Well holding Up or Down after pressing Side-B will alter the angle slightly. Pressing B RIGHT before Wolf launches will shorten the length of the jump. Mess around in training mode it's just like Fox and Falco's shorten.

GMaster171

Smash Ace
It can be difficult, its a 1 frame trick for each shorten (iirc hes travelling for 3 frames, and has 3 shorten distances)

A lot of the time I end up going on the hype of a combo and somehow end up getting the correct shorten at the correct time. I cant explain how, it just works lol

One sorta good way to practice is on Metal cavern. Do the side-b angled down when you are facing right at the bottom of the slant, and try to cancel it. shortest cancel will give you a little hop, 2nd cancel will cause you to do the MW thing and end up behind where you started, 3rd cancel will also do this but you will end up in the same place as you began. no cancel will cause you to edge cancel on the right edge and you can simply recover. Much easier than just doing it over and over, and no death is included in this way.

Top Bottom