• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General Strat for chars that cant be CG'd?

Recognize

Smash Journeyman
A good amount of brawlers cant be CG'd continually. I my usual strategy for getting up the percent is CG to the edge F-throw then airal that **** up, then when he comes down U-tilt FTW.

Now of course this doesn't work on chars that cant be CG'ed. DUH!
I just usually incorporate more of my throws and do down-tilts and Dthrows.
I do find it frustrating sometimes by faster chars that can combo the EFF outta me (cough meta cough) I actually have more problems with diddy (every tourney I go there is this ****er there that ***** me)

Any tips on how to deal with this problem?

EDIT: I didnt want this to be a "How can I beat MK thread" Sorry If this was misunderstood, try to put your GENERAL strat for dealing with these smaller, more comboish chars.

Kill@Will

Smash Cadet
uh from what i heard or seen or whatever metaknight is gonna be a tough fight for DDD bcuz he is so **** fast. if you dthrow em throw a waddle at em or ftilt. maybe incorporate inhale. i realized that i cant let characters come back to the stage...lol i mean like i gotta go out there and do somethin if i can instead of stand there waiting. ive been doin that and i get wins so yea. more back airs or use your faster moves a lil more. im still tryna find out myself how to deal with faster, smaller fighters. play like a b-itch to throw their game off so they will be distracted.

Xnpio

Smash Cadet
That's what I usually do.. throw them with a dthrow or fthrow, then either waddle them, or chase em down with some b-airs once they're off the stage.. f-air is harder to time.. b-air you can just throw out, then fast-fall to hit em.

Or if I'm feeling lazy, I'll toss a couple waddles at them.

Shiken

Smash Journeyman
MK is actually a pretty easy matchup for DDD... almost every approach is shieldgrabbable, he has no projectiles, and he's lightweight easy to ko. abuse downsmash anytime they give you an opening, as its not very likely you'll correctly land fsmash on him since he's small.

Shiken

Smash Journeyman
nah dont think i have, but ive yet to have any real trouble with any mk's in tournies so far. unless this guy does somethin completely different, i dunno.

Shiken

Smash Journeyman
um... k a few things i'd note about that video.
first of all, that MK really wasnt that spectacular. i've fought better.
second, that DDD missed 3 ko oppourtunies on that first stock and got punished for it.
third, wtf was with all the upthrow to nothing combos?
fourth, he used his up+b far too much when it wasnt neccassary, and got punished almost every time for it as well.
fifth, finally, wtf at the SD at the end.

edit: but we're getting off topic here. if you wanna keep discussing it, im me.

whut?

Smash Journeyman
mk is one of my favorite ddd matchups, right next to DK.
his jumps & aerials keep him airborne 60% of the battle, right where you want him.
his speed & spammy attacks mean nothing
since he has trouble KO'ing a heavy penguin even up to 130%.
on the other hand you can kill mk in the 90%-100% range with a timed utilt.

ddd has moves that seem to counter everything meta has.
dont let MK get through your defense. thats why people hate the matchup.
olimars and good Tlinks are what you should really worry about....

Recognize

Smash Journeyman
MK is actually a pretty easy matchup for DDD... almost every approach is shieldgrabbable, he has no projectiles, and he's lightweight easy to ko. abuse downsmash anytime they give you an opening, as its not very likely you'll correctly land fsmash on him since he's small.
Yeah I guess I should learn to shield grab more, I usually just dodge away and try for a D-Tilt.

I do play against a very defensive MK and I have trouble landing D-smashes.

I guess I should play more MK's since ive only been to a few tourneys.

Thanks for the help guys.

R!S3

Smash Apprentice
i dont have too much trouble with MK

shield...alot

inhale

tilt his approach (air or ground)

he is easy to ko...i use utilt to kill MK mostly...or a well timed dsmash

most good MK players will chase you off the ledge...

try to get 1 stock ahead then wait for them to chase you off the ledge...inhale off the ledge works wonders on aggressive off the ledge chasers and can give you a huge advantage...

(this has worked several times in tournaments for me...after the first or second inhale suicide they tend to stop chasing me off the ledge...)

Wubblez

Smash Apprentice
I generally throw a lot of the henchman (can never remember the name..) dudes around more and pretty much try to get them off the edge again.

Quondulen

Smash Cadet
Basically, what I do when I can't chain grab someone is down throw > Forward Tilt > Side B.

Bizel

Smash Rookie
Personally i see too many d3 players relying so much on CGs they cant find other tactics to win (and make boring matches). d3 on the ground isnt so great but he has a bunch of moves which can really limit approaches, in the air is a beast. i normally camp a bit (henchmen, dtilt, ftilt, inhale>air game ...) until i can get a shield grab, if they can be chain grabbed do a couple grabs then fthrow or bthrow (preferably off the edge) then try and punish them with his amazing air game. I really love his fair for its hitbox and knock back(plus the satisfaction of landing a big f'n hammer)

i also play on the edge a lot (watch out of spikes) shield grabbing and throwing off stages because it frustrates and lets you land a fair.

on a side note i see too many players not use his full set of moves, all of his moves are good and make you less predictable

Wubblez

Smash Apprentice
I try to balance my game out with chain grabs. If he makes it easy for me to grab then I'll grab if not I'll just go with other methods.

Samus-T

Smash Lord
tech chase chars that cant be CG'd its pretty easy, tech chase to dsmash at around 90 and theyre done

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
fighting MK is just completely guessing right lol.

also i usually switch to my alts when fighting non chaingrabbers unless they suck in which case i use bairs and back throws to raise good damamge. up air and dair are awsome at doing this

shonuf

Smash Cadet
if you grab him back throw him it gives him around 14-17 damage,

every little bit counts

Kill@Will

Smash Cadet
D3 in that masa mune vid is terrible... >_>
Yea i saw those vids a while ago, before any real 3Deezey tactics came about. Plus you can probably take into account that since they are brothers they may play alot all the time and thus probably get used to each others style. I still think the MK was pretty good. That 3Deezey could have pulled out a few more moves but hey.

Met

Smash Ace
Well i dont know why you put diddy in there because he can be chained grabed. And if you guys are more worried about toon link then meta then you haven't played a good meta. you need to try shield grabed CG's because if you do that you can CG marth, diddy, pit, and alot more characters. when you grab you can try a down throw to a tech chased regrab to back throw etc... shield grabs work well if the person isn't spacing. In a match vs meta or someone fast slow moves even if they kill generally are not good to use like the F-tilt because it has a long cool down or the forward B.

Coney

Smash Master
When I can't CG, I do one of two things:

dthrow to fsmash -- if the opponent is aggressive and rolls back toward me with tech. Makes sure he'll never, ever do that again.

dthrow to dash -- if the opponent either does a wake-up attack or rolls away, you can catch them with De's trip...and you know how much that hurts.

Throwing out Waddles is good too, but if you can get physical contact with your opponent, DO IT.

Top Bottom