• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General opinion. Need tips

RamenKamen

Smash Cadet
NNID
RamenKamen
3DS FC
1289-9460-6072
Is it just me? I cant seem to find how people find project m all mighty. Personally i feel smash 4 is way better. I played project m today with some friends the game feels so unresponsive. I cannot second jump from an aerial attack. Nor can i DI properly. Mabe the game is laggy for me. Who knows any ways to make it run smoother or faster? Any general gameplay tips. This project m hype is too much. I played. I compared i gave a review. IMO smash 4 has a better balance feel to it. But please do give tips and any help at all.

Foo

Smash Lord
I take it by you "not being able to jump after an aerial" means you hit the ground before you can jump again? This is probably because of project m having generally increased fall speeds. As for the DI problem, not really sure what to say. DI is more effective in PM than it is in sm4sh. Also, the game shouldn't be "laggier." Are you using a crt tv? If you are using an HD, that will cause delay, but other than that, it should play faster than sm4sh.

For the rest, you just have to get used to PM. I used to play brawl exclusively (and casually) and when I started playing PM, I HATED it. I was one of the people who thought PM was stupid and that everyone should just play brawl, the "real" game. Now, I realize that I was a complete idiot for thinking that and have since come to hate brawl and sm4sh and be absolutely addicted to PM. Sm4sh is easier to get into, but once you get PM figured out, the amount of control you have over your character is unprecedented.

HughMan-Chu

Smash Rookie
What Foo said, After playing brawl a bunch I went back to melee and I felt like I couldnt do anything, and no matter what character I picked I felt like a was weaker then my opponent. Its a similar thing too for people going from LoL to DotA aswell

Also if your playing on dolphin on a low spec computer that could be it, but I doubt it

RamenKamen

Smash Cadet
NNID
RamenKamen
3DS FC
1289-9460-6072
I take it by you "not being able to jump after an aerial" means you hit the ground before you can jump again? This is probably because of project m having generally increased fall speeds. As for the DI problem, not really sure what to say. DI is more effective in PM than it is in sm4sh. Also, the game shouldn't be "laggier." Are you using a crt tv? If you are using an HD, that will cause delay, but other than that, it should play faster than sm4sh..
Well i am playing on an HD TV so that explains certain things, and what i meant by not jumping is that i cannot seem to juggle myself in the air. I try to Uair on first jump and then second jump and Uair again and for some reason i just cant do it! I tried using roy again (nostagia) and went tl Dair and jump back on the stage... He did not second jump at all. I felt robbed lol. I try to air juggle with capt fabulous (pink falcon) and cant seem to get that second mid air jump off. Sigh. Ive tried to DI while in hit stun and i just fly like a catapulted potato. Any help and tips is greatly and much appreciated. Thanks for the reply BTW.

RamenKamen

Smash Cadet
NNID
RamenKamen
3DS FC
1289-9460-6072
What Foo said, After playing brawl a bunch I went back to melee and I felt like I couldnt do anything, and no matter what character I picked I felt like a was weaker then my opponent. Its a similar thing too for people going from LoL to DotA aswell

Also if your playing on dolphin on a low spec computer that could be it, but I doubt it
Mi wii is not hacked. Its all base. No homebrew. I enjoy my wii how it is. But humm for some reason i feel inept at playing this game.

Foo

Smash Lord
Well i am playing on an HD TV so that explains certain things, and what i meant by not jumping is that i cannot seem to juggle myself in the air. I try to Uair on first jump and then second jump and Uair again and for some reason i just cant do it! I tried using roy again (nostagia) and went tl Dair and jump back on the stage... He did not second jump at all. I felt robbed lol. I try to air juggle with capt fabulous (pink falcon) and cant seem to get that second mid air jump off. Sigh. Ive tried to DI while in hit stun and i just fly like a catapulted potato. Any help and tips is greatly and much appreciated. Thanks for the reply BTW.
I see. Tink and Roy Upair/Dair both have very high lag unless you hit the ground first. Typically, unless you are playing luigi or something, you juggle by shffling (short hop, fast fall, L-cancel). Roy has a very powerful juggling tool where he can jump and upair, fast fall towards the ground, and repeat to throw out many upairs rapidly to keep opponents airborne. L-canceling is a tech in PM and melee that half's the landing lag of an aerial if you hit shield (or grab) just before hitting the ground. You'll know you did it right (in PM) because your character will flash white.

RamenKamen

Smash Cadet
NNID
RamenKamen
3DS FC
1289-9460-6072
I see. Tink and Roy Upair/Dair both have very high lag unless you hit the ground first. Typically, unless you are playing luigi or something, you juggle by shffling (short hop, fast fall, L-cancel). Roy has a very powerful juggling tool where he can jump and upair, fast fall towards the ground, and repeat to throw out many upairs rapidly to keep opponents airborne. L-canceling is a tech in PM and melee that half's the landing lag of an aerial if you hit shield (or grab) just before hitting the ground. You'll know you did it right (in PM) because your character will flash white.
I know the l-cancel. I did not know that in PM the flashed. Humm good to know. It says smash rookie but trust me i am not lol.

Saxophoneoftime

Smash Lord
Oh I thought you were in the UK because of your last message, didn't check your location.

Look on the Free section of Craigslist, people are literally giving them away.

Leafeon

Verdant Pokémon
There is also a 10 frame buffer in Smash4
There is no buffer in PM.

http://www.ssbwiki.com/Buffer
I was going to say this but I figured someone would before I did.

You have to actually time your jump correctly in PM after your IASAF. In Smash 4 and Brawl there was leniency with it which allowed you to press the jump early.

Roy does not have any short-hop-double anything. He has waveland out of side B and that is it.

Last edited:

Celestis

Smash Ace
PM controls are much tighter then Brawl or Smash 4, so someone like you who plays smash 4 would not be used to the tighter controls of PM and things like that would happen to you.

RamenKamen

Smash Cadet
NNID
RamenKamen
3DS FC
1289-9460-6072
I think the roy has not short hop anything answered the question. To you sir. I say thank you. But. The reason i want to better my jumps are for edge guards. Seriously tired of not killing people.

waygu

Smash Lord
I would advise going for a platform to get higher and in turn save a jump or use a ground attack, or go grab the ledge - only one can hold it in pm and it puts you in position to jump off and hit them getting back, roy's back air is amazing for that. It takes time to feel comfortable getting there in time and then following up but its a big part of edge guarding in pm.

NTG

Smash Cadet
I would advise going for a platform to get higher and in turn save a jump or use a ground attack, or go grab the ledge - only one can hold it in pm and it puts you in position to jump off and hit them getting back, roy's back air is amazing for that. It takes time to feel comfortable getting there in time and then following up but its a big part of edge guarding in pm.
Roy's bair has a ton of lag, way better as a finisher on stage. Letting go of ledge and bairing is just asking for suicide. He ain't Marth

Top Bottom