• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General Matchup Discussion

peekpeek

Smash Cadet
There's some chat about very specific matchups, but no thread about general performance, so here goes. Bowser Jr. feels like he is actually viable in some matchups, but he can have a significant problem against fast characters with copious disjoints, and characters that have projectiles that can interrupt the kart. Unfortunately, with swordsmen, Links, and Pichu/Pikachu being so common leads to a Bowser Jr. running against bad matchups more often than not.

His good matchups are fat characters and/or characters with bad range, as his own disjoints and aerials can do a good job of juggling.

Some questions:

- How do I approach a fight against Pikachu and Pichu? Kart feels worthless due to their size and their projectiles, and their aerials feel like they out range Jr.'s.
- The Links. Young Link is a total nightmare, because his boomerang and his fire arrows break the kart. If he's hiding under a ledge he has good options to protect his top.
- Which swordsmen are good and bad? Cloud seems like the worst matchup. The range of the FE Lords doesn't feel as problematic, and they have no projectile, which means Bowser can get in some good kart plays.
- What characters is the Kart good against, and which ones is it not?

Last edited:

scalpel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1322-7073-9341
How do I approach a fight against Pikachu and Pichu?
Thank you for making this thread. I need help with this match up, also, especially against Pichu.

Mechakoopa is great because it can absorb 3 thunder jolts before exploding, so it takes away Pichu's ranged pressuring option.
Using short hop nair to relieve pressure works against most characters, but it often whiffs against Pichu because of his small hurtbox. I find that staying grounded and not jumping much is somewhat effective, relying on disjointed tilts to deal damage/relieve pressure.

Often I find myself unable to land anything, and the best course of action is to actually just play defensive and survive for as long as I can while Pichu damages himself with his lightning. When he gets to above 100%, then I try for kart spins and pray that one lands to secure a KO.

Pichu feels oppressive to play against in the sense that he doesn't allow you to play how you would normally play in any other match up. You have to completely change styles just to survive against Pichu's pressure. Any advice for this match up is appreciated.

CircularSaw

Smash Rookie
Links and 'chus definitely are difficult matchups for Jr. imo.

It's hard to compete against Links fast and versatile projectiles in neutral. Jumping a lot helps, and mechakoopa can tank arrows and horizontal boomerang a bit. I never challenge Links (and pretty much every swordies) aerials, and always wait for their landings instead. Outstage is where we are shinning. Try to push him a little further with a Fair or Nair so they waste their jump, comeback and edgeguard with projectiles if they still can make it.

Agaisnt 'chus, I just pray.

I think Villager is a pretty fun MU, since he will absolutely try to pocket mechakoopa, which is bad for us, but still give opportunities for some reads and traps.

Last edited:
Top Bottom