• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General gameplay style of Rosalina

Legend Vermillion

Spanish Brawl Competitive Player
Hi, I want to know how this character must be played. I mean, I need descriptions for her moves, if i need to go aggresive or defensive, basic combos and general stuff to start training with her. I dont know anything and its been hard for me to find the right way of how to play Rosalina just trying random things in training mode. Would be great some help ^^

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
The thing about Rosalina is that she doesn't really have a set in stone playstyle or meta. She truly seems versatile enough to effectively fit many roles.

It might be better, as a starting point, to say what your preferred playstyles in Smash are in general, and people can say how well Rosalina fits into those?

Legend Vermillion

Spanish Brawl Competitive Player
The thing about Rosalina is that she doesn't really have a set in stone playstyle or meta. She truly seems versatile enough to effectively fit many roles.

It might be better, as a starting point, to say what your preferred playstyles in Smash are in general, and people can say how well Rosalina fits into those?
I love the Brawl Falco playstyle. Camp and safe things + punishes or baits is the things I most enjoy : )

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I love the Brawl Falco playstyle. Camp and safe things + punishes or baits is the things I most enjoy : )
Well Rosalina is extremely safe in a lot of cases. She has her little Luma helper, after all, who can not only attack for her, but act as a damage sponge/"star" shield. Because of Luma, she can definitely camp too (albeit a totally different kind of camping). Just send Luma out with Luma Shot (which is a very strong projectile move), and let him at your opponent.

Rosalina is great for punishing and baiting too. Luma can be used to bait people, and you can punish them for giving him too much attention. She can also force projectile users to approach her, since her down special denies pretty much every projectile in the game (and then some), and it's really easy to use too. Her dash attack also comes out very fast and has excellent reach, which is great for punishing. Having Luma nearby when you do it also makes the range even more ridiculous, and you can dash right through most projectiles using Luma as your shield, and punish with Rosalina's Dash Attack.

Rosalina's Up Tilt and Up Air are also really good for punishing people trying to attack from above, and Luma again makes the range even more ridiculous. Not only that, but they are also KO moves. Up Smash is also great for this, and can punish people approaching from the ground too.

Down Smash is also really good for punishing rolls (especially useful since rolls are so good in this game. Rosalina herself has one of the best rolls too). Especially if Luma is present, since you can then cover both sides at the same time.

And since I know Falco's D-Air spike has been one of his signature traits in past games (I know it helped influence my choice to main him in Melee), you might be happy to know Rosalina has a D-Air that can spike:

It's weaker than Falco's spike was, and it's kinda difficult to land on the 3DS, but it's definitely very useful and getting it down would be awesome. It's also not very risky, because unlike Falco who couldn't recover very well compared to others, Rosalina's ability to recover is one of the best, if not the best, in the game. She can recover from the magnifying glass with ease most of the time.

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
i gotta disagree with her recovery being one of the bests. sure, it travels far but if you are in a tense situation and trying to edgeguard down low there's a chance you botch your recovery. the angle on it is weird, and while it can be changed it's still weird and easy to screw up, especially with the 3ds controller. this is even more true for stages with transformations, you really gotta memorize where every ledge is and where it's going to be, like in prism tower.

an example of her weird recovery, if you want to shoot straight up, you press up B then quickly flick away from the way you're facing, and if you do it too quickly you'll do a B reversal up b and send you to your death as you fly away horizontally. otherwise the default up B is and up and to the left recovery. if you up B and press forward you shoot far in front of you, which is actually decent for getting on the stage if you can overshoot your opponent without them reading it.

also anyone worth their salt in smash can knock her out of her up b, it has no invincibility frames and has no hitbox, so good luck against anyone who knows what they're doing. luckily rosalina can stall in the air for a bit since she's so floaty and her recovery does have a good amount of options.

silly i decided to write a full post about one of your sentences but i think it should be said. i do think it's a strong recovery regardless, it's range and versatility make it pretty solid, and ona gamecube controller input errors will be far more rare.

Dapplegonger

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetX-tremist
3DS FC
5129-1289-1208
I'm not great at this game, but the way I usually play is I go pretty aggressive until I get up into high percents, then I just play runaway as best I can while still trying to get in hits. I feel like she can play really campy when she needs to. I'll survive into 150+% (not sure how normal this is though) even though I get very little done against my opponent, and I've had matches drag on til the 20 sec mark (even got into sudden death in for glory in a serious match) because I'm trying to just survive as long as I can, and campy Rosalina can survive almost forever. And I don't even spam rolls.

Top Bottom