• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General gameplay analysis for MM

SanAntonioSmasher

Smash Apprentice
I have been working hard trying to master all the mega man techniques, and trying to put them in competitive matches. However, I am struggling to improve against top players (in my area), and the occasional ones on FG. So, I am going to take a step back and try to look at the big picture. In general, what tactics am I using and how often. Mega man has so many options that can be effective, it is difficult to know which to use.

I could really use input from people that have success either competitively in their local scene, or on FG. I'm around 65% wins on FG, but it could be a little higher if that mattered to me. I won't replay people that aren't a good challenge, and when games are laggy I will just suicide. I know I've got a lot of room for improvement. Against good players I have trouble ending stocks (especially off-stage) getting back to neutral when juggled, punishing opportunities, and I often get punished while trying to zone (attacked through lemon barrages, metal blades caught and dashed or aerial attacked through, and getting hit or grabbed shortly after getting a leaf shield.)

So I ask these questions, feel free to answer as many as you think you can. Or respond in more genetal terms if you like, i know these might be hard to answer. Also, I know these are heavily character and player match up specific, but just looking for rough estimates, based on a 2 stock match. I think other players may benefit from this as well.

After I review more of my replays I will put my answers. I also plan to review footage from the top MMs and see what they are doing.

1. What % of time jumping in a match
2. What % of jumps are short hopped vs full hopped, and why
3. If moving on ground, what % walking vs running
4. Horizontal movement, what % of time moving toward opponent, away from opponent, and not moving horizontally (including when you weave in air around the same place)
5. To avoid damage, what %s of each (shielding, rolling, spot dodging, move character, lemons to cancel actions, etc)
6. What % of metal blades are thrown at opponent vs into ground for pick-up
7. Breakdown of how blades thrown by %s (straight from ground, backwards running away, diagnal up from ground, short hopped forward, full hop diagonal down, etc).
8. On average, how long will you hold a metal blade
9. How many leaf shield activations per game(assuming against opponent that is hard to offstage leafstool), and %s of usage (to rack up damage on a throw, using hitstun to help setup throw or other attack, to help prevent juggling, as a projectile, etc)
10. How many crashbombs per game, and in what situations %s (returning to stage, punish a far away landing, for zoning, part of a projectile barrage, etc)
11. On average, (assume medium weight character) around what percent are you netting kills
12. What % of kills from opponent on stage vs opponent off stage/trying to return to stage
13. Breakdown in %s where are killing blows coming from on stage (bair, uair, usmash, f-smash, utilt, throw, other)
14. How would you describe your general approach (aggressive zoning, defensive zoning, aggressive bait and punish(such as running up and shielding), defensive bait and punish, etc)

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
I think this would be way too in depth. So much depends on what the opponent does.

SanAntonioSmasher

Smash Apprentice
I think this would be way too in depth. So much depends on what the opponent does.
I think its possible to say in general terms. Yes some match ups will significantly change these numbers, but I think most mega man players have a default play style. If it is working against a given opponent they will stick with it, if it doesn't work then try a different approach. I'll go ahead and throw my answers out there.

1. I'm constantly jumping, probably too much. 80%
2. I full hop more so than I intend, 60% full hops
3. If moving towards opponent I usually am doing forward tilt so walking or running in for grab/punish, if moving away its a run. Probably 80% run, 20% walk
4. 20% towards, 40% away, 40% neutral/weaving
5. Hard to quantify %s on this. I focus mostly on moving character and lemons to shut down opponent (60%).I roll too much still out of habit (10%), and I will mostly shield (25%) over spot dodging(5%).
6. 25% of blades into ground, 75% at opponent
7. 40% at short hop height forward (sometimes SH or falling from FH) in hopes of follow up (usually grab), 20% while running away from opponent (either grounded or SH), 20% down or angled down to help get to stage, 10% going for the FH diagonal down combo, 10% other
8. I don't hold blades long, maybe 2-3 seconds
9. I use leaf shield a bunch. I'd have to watch replays to count. Maybe 15 times. 50% for helping land grabs, 30% for helping against juggles, 20% other (either throwing because about to expire or to help clear projectiles)
10. Not a big crash bomb fan, maybe 10 per game 80% returning to stage, 20% zoning
11. I'm not good at ending stocks early, maybe 130% on average
12. Most my kills are on stage 70%, 20% as they are just getting back to stage, 10% off-stageoff-stage (low I know)
13. On stage bair does more KOs than others 30%, then usmash 20%, uair 15%, backthrow 15%, fsmash 15%, utilt 10%
14. Defensive zoning mixed with fairly heavy leaf shield grab game

I don't know how valuable these numbers might be to someone, but I do think it helps for all players to take a step back and look at their tendencies and which ones are beneficial and which ones aren't.

Last edited:

p1ay6ack

Smash Journeyman
I have been working hard trying to master all the mega man techniques, and trying to put them in competitive matches. However, I am struggling to improve against top players (in my area), and the occasional ones on FG. So, I am going to take a step back and try to look at the big picture. In general, what tactics am I using and how often. Mega man has so many options that can be effective, it is difficult to know which to use.

I could really use input from people that have success either competitively in their local scene, or on FG. I'm around 65% wins on FG, but it could be a little higher if that mattered to me. I won't replay people that aren't a good challenge, and when games are laggy I will just suicide. I know I've got a lot of room for improvement. Against good players I have trouble ending stocks (especially off-stage) getting back to neutral when juggled, punishing opportunities, and I often get punished while trying to zone (attacked through lemon barrages, metal blades caught and dashed or aerial attacked through, and getting hit or grabbed shortly after getting a leaf shield.)

So I ask these questions, feel free to answer as many as you think you can. Or respond in more genetal terms if you like, i know these might be hard to answer. Also, I know these are heavily character and player match up specific, but just looking for rough estimates, based on a 2 stock match. I think other players may benefit from this as well.

After I review more of my replays I will put my answers. I also plan to review footage from the top MMs and see what they are doing.

4. Horizontal movement, what % of time moving toward opponent, away from opponent, and not moving horizontally (including when you weave in air around the same place)
5. To avoid damage, what %s of each (shielding, rolling, spot dodging, move character, lemons to cancel actions, etc)
7. Breakdown of how blades thrown by %s (straight from ground, backwards running away, diagnal up from ground, short hopped forward, full hop diagonal down, etc).
9. How many leaf shield activations per game(assuming against opponent that is hard to offstage leafstool), and %s of usage (to rack up damage on a throw, using hitstun to help setup throw or other attack, to help prevent juggling, as a projectile, etc)
10. How many crashbombs per game, and in what situations %s (returning to stage, punish a far away landing, for zoning, part of a projectile barrage, etc)
11. On average, (assume medium weight character) around what percent are you netting kills
12. What % of kills from opponent on stage vs opponent off stage/trying to return to stage
13. Breakdown in %s where are killing blows coming from on stage (bair, uair, usmash, f-smash, utilt, throw, other)
14. How would you describe your general approach (aggressive zoning, defensive zoning, aggressive bait and punish(such as running up and shielding), defensive bait and punish, etc)
1. it's probably around 65%. it's match dependent to me, because if my opponent stands still more, i'd jump less, because megaman has a risk of landing lag, and landing in wrong places.

2. 80% short hop 20% normal hop. i short hop alot more on stage and as i'm moving towards my opponenet, because it gives me options for BAIR and sweet spot FAIRS.

3. 70% walking 30% running.

4. 40% moving toward oppoeent 20% moving away from opponet 40% standing still. megaman can have alot of prescence and put pressure just by standing still, and sometimes i just stand still, because i can read an opponeents attack, then dodge it, and punish it.

5. 20% shielding 35% spot dodging 35% move chaarchter 10% lemon to cancel actions

6. 60% metal blade thrown 40% metal blade pickup.

7. it's a bit hard saying the perecentages for this question. the match up really determines the percent of mb use. there's been matchups when i used this less than the other or more than the other.

8. not very long. i only hold it when im setting up a z drop metal blade. or im throwing it as a projectil offstage, or downwards off stage or on stage

9. probably 8. i find the best situation for me to activate leaf shield is when my opp is hit off stage in horizontal trajectory, and then i get the option to either chase them with leaf shield, wait for them on stage for a grab, or see them space me so they recover at ledge (at this situation, this is the best moment to throw leaf shield as a projectile).

10. match depednet, but probably 40% my opp always shields it, so its like a bit annoying having to deal with shield, so i use it less. and when i do hit them, they're still using shield. so im trying to incorporate an immediate grab after i crash bomb them to punush shielding

11.120-150% if im not setting it up. i'm finding the best way megaman gets kills is by spot dodging into down smash or shoryuken, Fsmash. ive had alot more success getting kills by spot dodging into punishes. also, BAIRS are really good, but you got to be really good at reading air dodges and know the trajectory of your opponenet's fall speed.

12. 50/50 its match dependent for me

13. lots of bair, bair , bair and more bair. ive found down smash is useful, but its how to use down smash that makes it good. ive noticed when your opp is trying to recover on ledge that the best way to use down smash is by jumping twice as you are approaching ledge,so you get air, and then down smash. ive found way more success landing down smashes doing two jumps. if you do 1 jump, you'll have less success, cuz down smash goes by a bit quick in the start up of the hitbox.

!4.aggressive zoning, and aggresive bait and punish. as you play mm, you get to know his combos, but MM doesn't really have good options when his combos are done, so here is where you bait them. like you got to expect your opp is going to hit you after your combo is finished, so you got to expect the hit into a spot dodge, and then punish them. this is a critical moment because this is when you "continue'' your aggressive play, and get into your opp's head. if you can do this without taking dmg for the longest time, you'll notice your opp spamming attacks on you, because they're desperate to get a hit on you. this is the perfect moment to stand still at certain places in the stage, because you can easily get punishes

cot(θ)

Smash Journeyman
80%
Nearly all SH. SH-lemons is my default stance in neutral. I just keep spitting lemons and move back and forth, just playing footsies with them, and then I'll do an empty landing and go for one of my mixups, including:
Grab (they're shielding the lemons - this is a no-brainer)
Pivot Grab (If they're fast enough to spot-dodge your grab, run past and grab them after their spot-dodge)
Metal Blade (they see you stopped shooting lemons, so they try to close the distance. Metal Blade -> grab -> advantage)
Danger Wrap (if the opponent is trying to jump over your lemons)
Nothing (expect a roll inwards - punish with a grab, or a Mega Upper at kill percents)
I run a lot, because it's mainly to get in for the grab after a Metal Blade toss, or to cover distance for a juggle or landing trap. I only walk when I need to cover a very small amount of distance for a Mega Upper punish, or when advancing with lemons.
In neutral, it's back and forth, back and forth. SH-lemons for days. However, the balance of this movement is backwards, so it's important to start the mixups I mentioned earlier before you're backed up to the ledge. In the advantage, I'm always trying to close the distance. In disadvantage, I'll generally try to make space with a sweet-spotted nair, or a d-tilt, rather than retreating.
A good mix of each is best, though I favour using lemons most of the time. It's useful to note that most of the time, there's no value to moving your character away without spitting lemons as well.
Mostly thrown at the opponent. In particular, with customs off, above and diagonally to Mega Man is a vulnerable spot, so it's important to keep Metal Blade available to thrown diagonally to cover this approach in many matchups. With DW, it's much safer to hold the blade in hand.
All directions are useful depending on the situation.

To edgeguard, I either jump out and throw a metal blade down, to force them to alter their trajectory for further edgeguarding, or drop the metal blade on them for a stage spike.
When approaching, I often jump and throw the blade diagonally downwards, or just throw it forwards and go in for a follow-up. Remember that if they shield the metal blade, you can usually count on them rolling behind you or spot-dodging if you try to go for a grab follow-up.
For defense, I mix-up forward and upwards diagonal throws.
Not long at all. Sometimes I will delay throwing it by using lemons and z-drop -> bair/dair/uairl catch as a mixup, but I typically drop it or throw it fairly quickly.
Very seldom. Against opponents who thrive on safe, lagless approaches (Jigglypuff) I try to throw it out more often, but it's hit and miss, and I haven't really mastered this move.
Seldom, except against projectile spammy characters, to cancel some of their attacks, or to hit Luma. I often use it when recovering though, just to make them delay their edgeguard. I prefer Danger Wrap in almost all matchups, though.
Not low enough... About %120-%130 is typical for me, usually with a bair. I think improving my Mega Upper game will vastly help that, though.
Depends very heavily on the character. With someone like Captain Falcon, it's almost always on an edgeguard, whereas against Lucina, it will be almost always from the stage. Very matchup dependent.
Mostly bair, or back throw -> edgeguard. Again though, Mega Upper is a very viable kill move when I'm able to recognize the opportunities to use it.
Aggressive zoning. As I mentioned before, I generally space with SH-lemons for a while, before initiating an approach.

Top Bottom