• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

GED or High School Diploma? Decission...

Ok,i'm going to be strait forward.I've been in a homeless situation for 2 years,and it has affected my GPA and school studies dramatically to the point that i won't graduate for about another year,and over that time I failed several classes.I have only been able to make up so many credits,so i'm lucky that i had the chances,even though i didn't make them all up.

I'm in a very tough position right now even right now with my home life.Mom is disabled,my father passed 2 years ago,and mortgage payments are high and difficult to pay at times because of our fixed income.

I know that it's risky,but i wanted to know that if i should try to take my GED test,or go for my High School Deploma? I've been thinking about it,but i wanted to know if their are any benifits that have when you posses a HSD rather than a GED,such as better job employment opportunities.

I really want to finish High School so that i can move on to better things(I want to become a graphics designer,or a computer technician,still deciding >_>).

I really need help,and i thought that it would help me to ask of you because i feel comfortable speaking to everyone.

So....what should i do?(I'm in the 12th grabe by the way)

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Go for the High School Diploma. You are in your last year of school.

Trust me, the HSD is A LOT better than a GED. It is better to have that if you want to apply to college and it also looks better on your resume for most jobs. A lot of jobs will turn you down simply because you don't have a HSD.

It is completely worth your time and effort to get that diploma. It is worth more than you think.

The Mad Hatter

Smash Ace
Sounds like your in a tough situation. My best friend in High School went through the same thing (sort of). He failed almost every class he took, he had to take summer classes every year, and everybody knew he was not going to make it in the end. He ended up having a kid and was forced to drop out to support the new family.

Fact is, if your getting a job that requires either a HSD or GED they are not going to care which you have. Its hard to find a job that pays above minimum wage without an Associates anyway.

You say you want to be a graphics designer,or a computer technician. This is good. I know for a fact you can take classes for both of these programs in a community college, and community colleges have no problem accepting people with a GED. And if you decide you really want to move forward with your education after the two year school/tech school, University's will accept you. In fact I know plenty of people in college with me now that only have a GED. You really don't want to wake up every day wishing you had chased your dreams.

Am I telling you to get the GED instead of the HSD? No, you have spent a long time in high school and it would suck to see all that work go for nothing. I'm simply telling you there are opportunities for you either way. Don't have in your head that a GED will keep you from your goals.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Having the GED does give you more opportunties then if you just drop out but the Diploma is worth more. If you were a sophomore or junior or something, you may have needed to get the GED but you are in your last year so I would say, just go for it.

EEvisu

Smash Lord
Good

Enough

Diploma

you should always expect more of yourself...

Peeze

Smash Master
Based on the way you spelt "Decission" in the title, you should probly try to stay in school and get a diploma.
Have you ever seen that Lifetime Movie "Homeless To Harvard?"

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Most mods are English majors. We have no benefit to society so we have to be stiff on grammar.

Honestly, I'd suggest looking into Online colleges for whatever you get. It will allow you to travel at your own pace and you can work a full-time job. I will probably get my masters this way or something while I am music school. I don't know how much it would cost, but the higher the degree, the better the job basically.

Top Bottom