• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gaza

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team

Here's some quick references for starters:

This area of the world has been under conflict for literally thousands of years. In essence, no one can agree on who deserves to be settled there. In the Old Testament this area was "promised" to the "chosen" people, the Hebrews. After what seems to be countless years of war, centuries of conflict, the 20th century gave birth to military technology which essentially afforded countries to become so-called World Powers. And it was these powers-that-be that carved up the land, and dedicated portions of it to specific entities, as a way to "settle" the conflict.

It's far from settled as we can see

So tell me, debaters. What do you think the US policy on Gaza should be?

My take: Religion is literally at the heart of this conflict, and as such has no place in our politics. We should pull any support we have from -both- sides. The difficulty is that Israel's army is actually quite powerful (thanks largely in part to us). The humanitarian thing to do would be what? Let them all kill each other? I want to know what you all think, though... a fresh perspective so to speak.

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
Generally the only thing I'm sure of is that it's the fault of the British, mostly.

Also, as a jewish person with a vested interest in curbing genocide in all of its forms, I can't help but appreciate the historical irony.

Hamas do seem like a pile of douchebags, but in regards to the average palestinian and their position of support... if a military was just marching in, and "smart" drones were bombing schools and hospitals, what would you do?

This whole thing just reeks of opportunism (especially given those 3 teens were NOT killed by Hamas) and it of course is happening while the rest of the world powers are consumed by and concerned with Ukraine.

I don't like it.

The Smashing Samurai

Smash Cadet
The United States, personally, should stay out of it. The Middle East has had conflict between two groups of people before, and no amount of drones, missiles, tanks, and bullets is going to stop it.

Landry

Smash Ace
The two-state solution does not, and never has, worked. So there's that...

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
Those are some pretty absolute words for something that has never been implemented in the first place.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
The problem with wars, like these, is that religion is the reason behind them, and unless you're religious, people are just going to look on and facepalm at these people for fighting in the name of a deity created by man to control man (or to explain the unexplainable in some cases, but that's for a different topic). Another problem (and this is probably a big one) is the United States constantly trying to play both police AND superhero for everyone. They invade countries and fight wars that has nothing to do with them, as was the case with the Vietnam War and the Iraq War and the so-called "war on terror". They also supplied weapons and other forms of advanced technology to countries that would later end up being seen as enemies of the U.S., and so when said enemies fight with decent firepower, even if we do defeat them, we'd have ended up with needless losses because of the help we gave to our future enemies.

The U.S. just needs to step back and worry about its own needs within the country, and stop worrying about other countries' well-being and conflicts unless said countries and conflicts directly affects us. But no, good ole Uncle Sam just wants to keep pumping money from taxes, as well as extra money we don't have into more weapons and war technology. I'm convinced the U.S. will be aiming to create "The United Countries of the World"... but I digress.

The main point is if two countries want to obliterate one another for a god that doesn't exist, then let them. I mean, really, one countries prays to God to help them destroy their enemies while the other country does the same. Someone is going to have their prayers answered by a giant middle finger in the form of a missile. Chances are, it will be both sides.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
hahahaha the United Countries of the World, that was awesome, thank you for that. And giant middle finger missiles! lol

I tend to agree, we need to stay out of this one.

If you think about it, we're actually fixing to be embroiled in FOUR conflicts it we're not careful...

1.) Gaza
2.) Ukraine
3.) Iraq... again. ><
4.) Afghanistan

We couldn't even afford to properly execute our operation in Iraq the first time. But 4 conflicts? 4 military actions? ...... we are so stupid.

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
I'm skeptical about America getting very involved with Ukraine.

Someone might try to torch and pitchfork me for this, but I'm really happy that we didn't get any more involved with Syria. That seems to show that America is capable of at least some restraint when it comes to international conflicts.

Top Bottom