• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ganondorf Moveset Discussion

jamesster445

Smash Lord
So I Recently made a redacted moveset for Ganondorf. I was going to put in the moveset discussion topic to realize that there is no such thing in Ganon's forum (if there is one, please redirect me there).

Let me know what you think. Also what do you think about Ganondorf's current moveset?

And if you want to see more movesets for hypothetical characters...
http://smashboards.com/threads/virt...-in-your-fighting-games.427769/#post-21080649

Last edited:

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
The moveset thread exists, but has been defunct for some time now. That being said, you've clearly put a lot of effort into this, so I'll let this stand on its own for now in hopes that productive discussion might come of it.

twistacles twistacles Koskinator Koskinator Remember, we <do> share this board with more casual players. Consider it a personal favor to not discourage thoughtful posts, even if they're moveset discussions.

Last edited:

Clock Tower Prison

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5215-3120-4820
What Vermanubis Vermanubis said. There is a thread and iirc some people wanted him to not be changed while others myself included wanted either project m ganon or just something that fits him better than a worse Falcon. I am impressed with how much you put into this and I would not mind if this was how he became.

Litany

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Brushfire11
Switch FC
SW-6201-5293-0444
I have to say, I really like this idea. It makes Ganondorf more faithful to The Legend of Zelda, and at the same time, still seems like it could be played similarly to our current Falcondorf.

jamesster445

Smash Lord
The moveset thread exists, but has been defunct for some time now. That being said, you've clearly put a lot of effort into this, so I'll let this stand on its own for now in hopes that productive discussion might come of it.

twistacles twistacles Koskinator Koskinator Remember, we <do> share this board with more casual players. Consider it a personal favor to not discourage thoughtful posts, even if they're moveset discussions.
So basically there was one, but things got uncivilized so it died. Gotcha. In the worst case scenario I have a thread in Creative Minds with other movesets so I'll just leave a link here just in case this thread goes down...
http://smashboards.com/threads/virt...-in-your-fighting-games.427769/#post-21080649

Jotari

Smash Journeyman
That's a pretty great hybrid. Gives us differences and similarities galore. If some of his old specials could stick around as custom moves it'd be a great moveset. I like the format too. I might rustle up something similar. I have all the notes on a word doc but nothing with the nice pictures you have.

jamesster445

Smash Lord
That's a pretty great hybrid. Gives us differences and similarities galore. If some of his old specials could stick around as custom moves it'd be a great moveset. I like the format too. I might rustle up something similar. I have all the notes on a word doc but nothing with the nice pictures you have.
Thanks. but yeah I'd be curious to see what ever ideas you have.

Edit- Of course something I failed to point out is that if Ganon is gonna see any changes it's entirely dependent on how he appears in future titles. Hopefully he has a sick design in the Wii U game, if he shows up at all.

Last edited:

Jotari

Smash Journeyman
Ask and thou shalt receive.

Overview. It is my firm belief that Ganondorf both has a good, viable, moveset, and that his moveset represents his games far more than people tend to assume. I do not think he requires a major overhaul as a character, yet as a Ganondorf player, and someone who obsess over character's pulling attacks for their own games, there are a number of subtle changes I would make in order to improve him as a fighter and make him distinctly more Ganondorf.

First off his Jab. This is based on his magic casting animation in Ocarina of Time so to reflect that, and to make him more magical over all, I'd have a ball of energy appear in his hand for a few frames. This will do less damage than hitting with his hand but will serve to give the attack more range over all. It is not a projectile. Think Mario's Forward Smash.

Next is the Sparta Kick. An attack much loved by Ganondorf players and one even people who want to see his moveset revamped want to see stick around. Mainly because it's something he actually does in Twilight Princess. In Twilight Princess it's used to break Link's guard so to reflect that fact I would increase the shield damage this attack does significantly.

His up tilt is one of the most unique tilts in the game but also one of the least useful. It got some significant buffs in Smash 4 to make it viable in a number of circumstances, and extremely satisfying to pull off, but it's still a needlessly risky attack. Therefore I would add the ability to cancel out of it in the first few frames of the attack. This would make it less damning if used by mistake and could also give it great potential for baiting enemies.

His Side Smash is a clone move from Captain Falcon but I personally think it fits Ganondorf better. And it quite probably could have inspired one of his attacks in Twilight Princess. So to make the two characters less similar I would actually change Falcon's Side Smash, back to the flaming kick he had in Smash 64 which was pretty cool. Though I'm not here to talk about Falcon. Like his forward tilt, I'd give it increased shield damage like his elbow attack in Twilight Princess. Even ignoring the connection to that game, this just looks like an attack that should be breaking shields.

His Up Smash, nothing from his games but it is an original attack they added in Brawl to differentiate him from Falcon so I don't feel the particular need to see it replaced. I would however like if it's hitbox was a bit bigger above Ganon so you can more easily smash airborne enemies.

Now onto his Down Smash. This I would replace with a pretty cool attack Ganon uses in Oracle of Ages/Seasons. He charges up energy in his hand and then slams a palm into the ground sending shockwaves in both directions. This attack would have abit more start up lag before you can launch it similar to Ike and Dedede's forward smash though not nearly as extreme as their examples. It would deal vertical knockback.

I have nothing to say about his Up Aerial, likewise his Down Aerial is awesome and needs to comment. HIs Forward Aerial, little known fact, is actually a reference to an attack he used in The Ocarina of Time manga and has been an exclusive attack to him since Melee so that definitely stays. His neutral aerial is a great attack for approaching enemies so I'd also like to see that stay, however I don't think the double kcik animation quite fits him. It looks a bit too athletic. So I'd probably change it to two magical blasts.

His back Aerial is the attack I'd modify the most. Instead of a backhand punch, it would be a cape attack that turns Ganondorf around. In terms of hitboxes it would come out as fast and as powerful as his old down aerial with only a little bit more range. However it would also have a minor wind hit box and could reflect projectiles, though the awkward nature of back aerials would make that trait less useful than it seems.

I would change his grab so it's similar to Pac Man. Slow, clumsy, but with great range that stays out for a while. Ganondorf's current grab is near useless. I personally only ever use it out of shield and even then it's reach is so pathetic by the time I manage to grab someone I'm so unused to the concept, I don't know what to do with them. A Grab like Pac-man's would suit Ganondorf's playstyle better being somewhat riskier but more rewarding to use right. His throws, I have nothing to say about. They could be replaced or they could remain as they are, it wouldn't make all too big a difference.

I work under the assumption, hope, that in the next game all characters can receive specials as diverse as Palutena's.

Before Smash 4 I never thought I'd say I want to see Ganondorf use a sword, nor did I ever think I'd advocate the removal of Warlock Punch, but the way they used Warlock Blade has changed my view on that entirely. A key difference between it in Smash 4 and my hypothetical set up is that he would use Demise's sword with a much flashier and more natrual looking animation. There would still be a sweet spot at the tip but the attack will come out a bit slower, on par with Warlock Punch, in exchange the sour spot will be increased in power to that of Warlock Punch.

His second neutral special is Dead Man's Volley, the projectile everyone wants to see him have. Not much more to say about it. It would be powerful but with significant start up lag before it's launched and the ability for it to be reflected by most attacks.

His last neutral special is called Dark Soul. This is a charging attack that takes a lot of time to unleash. When it is unleashed you can't store the charge. You can however interrupt the charge but the charge will reduce over time. The level of charge is signified by a shadow aura surrounding Ganondorf. The attack itself is based on one of his attacks in Hyrule Warriors. A large showdy version of Ganon will emerge from him and strike the stage dealing massive knockback damage. However the nature of it's charging, and incredibly long charge time (think about 25 second uninterrupted) makes it quite an unpractical attack. However the threat of the attack can be useful for baiting enemies since they simply cannot allow it to be unleashed.

Flame Choke is a really great move and something he's done in his own games so universally people want to keep it around. One change I would make to it however is the ability to hold B throughout the attack, similar to Corrin's and Robin's neutral specials. If you do this it will be Flame Wave instead of Flame Choke, launching enemies away. Additionally, it will also no longer induce a helpless state when used in the air, though it can only be used once. This makes Ganondorf a lot more dangerous to chase since Ganoncide is a lot safer and boosts his recovery quite a bit regardless of what up special you choose.

He will retain Flame Chain has a custom side special but I would rename it Gerudo Dragon after the Melee attack and give it some dragon imagery because adding more dragons to something is never a bad idea. Other than that the attack is fine as it is.

Wizard's Foot has been moved to be an alt Side Special. It would also receive the Flame Choke treatment in getting properties of its old variations. If you smash the attack Ganondorf will delay slightly before using it and unleash the powerfl Wizard's Assault. In the air you can also direct the attack going from directly downward to almost completely sidewards like Wizard's Dropkick.

Dark Fists replace Dark Dive as his default up special. There is also an additional phase to the attack. After reaching the zenith, Ganondorf will slam down towards the ground dealing heavy damage to anyone he hits and burying anyone he just misses. This makes the attack a little less safe to use when recovering as it now works quite like Aether. Though you can still control his direction slightly when slaming downwards. I'd also make it so the first hit can connect easier.

Although it is not an up special, Dark Dive still exists in some form. By pressing the grab button in the air Ganondorf will attempt to Grab an opponent. If he will perform the attack portion of Dark Dive. Success would also restore his mid air jump. Link, Samus and a handful of others all have the grab button do something in the air so I'd like to see that treatment done to all characters.

His second up special is Trident Warp. Ganondorf will summon and fling his Trident. He will remain stationary in the air or on the ground as the Trident moves. The player will have the ability to curve it slightly like Young Link's boomerang. Enemies caught it the trident will be caught by it and will move with it until it moves a certain distance away from Ganondorf at which point Ganondorf will warp to the tridents side and strike with it. This move is most like Fire Fox really in the way it can be aimed in any direction and will deal damage between two points. However Ganondorf will not move with the attack until the end which both leaves him safer but also leaves him more open if enemies can get around the attack.

His last special is Levitate. This will be a move similar to Peach's jump that will actually give Ganondorf air time and allow him to pull out some very effective combos. It's one major downside however is that it gives him absolutely no vertical recovery.

No pictures for these but I reckon you get the idea.

Now onto his down specials. His first is Magic Cape. Ganondorf will swing his cape which would reflect projectiles back at twice the speed. This would be a very quick move that deals a little bit of damage and has a slight wind hitbox.

His next down special is called the imprisoned. This is a very quick move with a small hitbox, about the same as his old garb. If it hits it will cause red electricity to hit the foes, stunning them and leaving Ganondorf open to perform one of his powerful attacks.

Ganondorf's last special move is Parry, a simple counter move. Ganonorf pulls out his sword and blocks with it then he strikes back if a foes attacks him. I know everyone and their mother has a counter in Smash Bros. already so it isn't a particularly interesting move, but since Ganondorf's moveset depends so heavily on what his opponent's do, I think a counter would really benefit him and make approaching Ganondorf a lot more difficult.

So there you go. I hope you're satisfied with that Ganondorf moveset. I think it really improves him as a character, stays true to his current style of fighting and represents all of his most common abilities in his own series. He has magic, projectiles, weapons, warping, pounding, levitating and cape flapping.

Last edited:
Top Bottom