• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ganon Training Regimen

Stitch4

Smash Cadet
I'm pretty new to the scene (only been playing melee since early October), and I've played a lot of characters. I settled on Falcon, but after playing quite a bit of Ganon as well I've come to like the way Ganon functions as a character more than I like Falcon. It's fun to fly across the stage and knee someone, but I just feel so much more powerful and in control when playing as Ganon, so I've decided to main him.

Anywho, I noticed that in the Captain Falcon threads that Scar and Hax made a training regimen for falcon players(wouldn't allow me to share the link due to being new to the boards), and I was wondering if someone has already done this for Ganon, or if somebody could make one for both me and other aspiring Ganon players. When I hop on to do a bit of training I practice SHFFL aerials, wavelands, and sweetspotting the ledge, but aside from that its not very focused training.

I've been able to find "guides" on how to practice Eddie Spikes and other character specific things to Ganon, but its all buried in different posts or in the Ganon FAQ that's like 300+ pages long now making it very difficult to find specific things. There is a lot of stuff that can't be practiced just by yourself or in training mode, and there are some guides already stickied (like the chain grabbing guide amongst others) that have helped me a ton, so I'm talking about a guide for things to practice on your own/fundamentals and AT's that all Ganon players should know and practice on their own. If a lot of that info was consolidated into 1 post and someone was able to make a solid training regimen for The King that we all know and love, then I know that me, as well as a lot of the newer Ganon players out there, would be forever grateful.

Stitch4

Smash Cadet
In my head I thought that "thread" meant "forum" so I both read Eikelmann's post that way, and responded as such. Yay for being ********. But sure, I'll post it into the Gdorf Q&A thread.

M-Tude

Smash Cadet
Hey, I didn't see you post anything in the ganon thread, so I'll just paste my own training regime for you. I'm not a great ganon main or anything but I Hope it helps.

I'm a firm believer that the Neutral game is just something that you learn on your own over time, but here is my list so far of solo techniques to practice so that I'm comfortable enough with them to use them in any circumstance.

The classics

· Perfect WL movement tricks
· Dash-->WD movement tricks
· Crouch cancels/ASDI
· DI and SDI
· OoS options
· Perfectly spaced aerials

Edge/platform work

· Falling PWL from platform to platform
· Non-FF auto-cancel bairs off platforms.
· Shield drop
· Edge cancelled aerials
· Reverse PWL Tipman spike
· Side-B edge cancels on Yoshi’s Story (for fun)

Shield work

· Light-shield Power shield (A+L+Z) (hard as f***
· Light shield uses/comfortability
· Instant Uair/Instant Uair OoS (Frame perfect SH-Uair hits falco 100% of the time)
· Shield DI
· Shield SDI
· Buffered rolls out of shield pressure/jab reset

Ledge work

· Edge-canceled tipman spike/Bair/Dair-->ledge
· Tournament winner-->ledge cancelled Fair
· Hax-dash-->DJ edge-cancelled Fair/Dair
· Hax-dash-->DJ WL on side platform
· Gannon hax-dash
· Ledge hop run-off DJ Bair
· Uair from Ledge-->re-grab ledge (like shieks's bair)
· Ledge hop Auto Cancel invincible Uair to stage (I thought I saw Ace say this could be done?? haven't tried it yet though)
· Invincible ledge-dash jab
· Invincible ledge-hop jab/grab
· Reverse Up-B to ledge (safer)
· Edge cancelled reverse and normal Up-B

Pivots, Aerials, & other movements

· Full jump Dair-->double jump
· SH instant Uair/Bair-->double jump/dj waveland on something
· BIZZARO MOONWALKS!!!
· Pivots
o Pivot F-tilt/Jab/Smashes/Grab
o (Very Hard: Pivot D-tilt & Pivot U-tilt)
o Pivot jumps (+fades)
· Dash-->Pivot-->Jump backward full drift back-->Aerial (Super cool or something)
· SH Immediate Uair into waveland. (This can only be done on YS by drifting to where the floor is lower than where you started your jump, giving you the necessary time to WL)

Spacing

· Pullback on F-smash, Side-B, and Down-B
· Shield stab/safe-on-shield Dairs at head & feet

Practice combos and stuff on level 1,3,7 computers and see how much you can movement style on them. That's my solo training stuff.

Edit: This is a new and improved list

Last edited:

Schwamus

Smash Cadet
Is there some kind of list of characters susceptible to dair shield-stabbing on feet hurtbox? I seem to Bizz land them mostly on Sheiks.
I don't know have a list but I know Samus is pretty damn susceptible because her full replenished shield only covers down to her knees if she doesn't tilt her shield down

M-Tude

Smash Cadet
Hey, I cleaned up the list I posted a while back and added new things to it, just noticed that this had a lot of views so I thought maybe people were like, i don't know, maybe getting something out of it. Check it out.

I think any tall character is susceptible to Dair shield stabbing as long as their shield is low enough. I think experimenting with SH Bair-->DJ dair shield stab might be cool.

Also, I've been thinking about Ganon's NILs. Turns out he can NIL on any platform by timing the DJ right. On Yoshi's it just has to be like frame perfect or something right out of a SH but it's not that hard. I try practicing these too, but they're not super important to the meta right now. There are also other ways to NIL that i'm not mentioning cause...meh.

Also, Ace, did I see a video of you sh uairing and wavelanding after? How the h*ll did you do that?

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Yeah bro. On YS, you can sh uair waveland, notice I landed right by the ledge where it is lower. This gives you the necessary frames for uair to end.

M-Tude

Smash Cadet
Sick man, I think that's probably worth putting in my nooby training regime up top.

Top Bottom