• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gamestop Tournament! Ike Users?

Hokkaido

Smash Journeyman
Is anybody here planning on joining the gamestop tournament as Ike? In case you haven't read the general discussion article, here's what I've gathered:

1. Beginning Characters Only (Ike would be selectable)
2. 1 Minute Match (I'm assuming score)
3. Wiimotes + Nunchucks only
4. 1v1 Matches, 32 Players

With that in mind, as much as Ike has fared MUCH better in multi-man matches and free-for-alls under my experience, does anybody have anything to suggest? I've been playing as Ike for a main since the second day of Brawl's Japanese release (you might have seen me around the Ike boards, contributing/debunking/debating), so I'm fairly confident in my skills (considering hopefully that nobody else has gotten similar playtime, and not to mention two of my friends who've played with me should also attend for insurance).

This is a list of things I'm going to try to keep in mind (feel free to contribute/debate!):

1. Avoid using laggier moves vs. quicker characters, and/or punish their mistakes.
2. Use Ike's SAF and heavy weight in order to stay alive, but make sure to still avoid damage whenever possible.
3. Practice with the Wiimote/Nunchuck (I was hoping I'd never have to use it =( )
4. Learn the 'safe' distances and spots for Ike's moves, and *becoming familiar with Ike's quick draw distances*

verditude

Smash Journeyman
I'll play as a few characters since Gamestop is getting demos a few days before release, but I think I'll use Ike. He seems most capable of KOing in one minute.

Hokkaido

Smash Journeyman
Who cares? I sure don't- If you don't like it or can't contribute, then get out. Nothing wrong with another topic for debate.

I'll play as a few characters since Gamestop is getting demos a few days before release, but I think I'll use Ike. He seems most capable of KOing in one minute.
There are some pretty great characters on the starting roster, but I agree with you that Ike is one of the few that could probably KO a character within a single minute (he's definitely the most likely in my opinion, but that's without comparing the skills of players)... if you know how to use him correctly, there's also a good chance that you won't get knocked out yourself, especially if your opponent doesn't realize the diminishing attacks (which I'm sure there will be at least a few, probably more outside SWForums that don't realize it).

ama(m/t)

Smash Lord
if you'd ever been to smashboards, you'd know the forums dont follow any rules designed to promote intelligent discourse and general spreading of information
why don't we just fill up the whole front page with this topic then
nothing would ever get done as people try to sort all the information from all the topics
you are just adding to the problem while acting like you're useful

Ledger_Damayn

Smash Ace
gay its with the wiimote and nunchuk.....
It's sad when a post like this is actually one of the most on-topic posts in a thread.

Ya, there really was no point for this thread. Not with an identical thread with pages upon pages laden with advice and opinions. Most of them pointing towards Ike, fyi.

In any case, I'm not going to attend the tournament, or rather, probably not. If I don't get a chance to familiarize myself with the new controls and Ike or Zelda's moveset (for the purpose of simplicity, I'll use Ike, since Zelda appears to require a significant amount more practice to master her sweetspots), then I won't show. If I do, then I'll probably show up just to mingle with the local Smash community.

I wish they would just impose the "Bring your own controller" policy like everyone else...

I'd probably even prefer 1 stock matches to 1 minute matches, too. At this rate, most wins are going to come from accidental suicides due to no one knowing how to handle their characters.

My prediction is no one knowing how to dodge Ike's Fsmash will pretty much be the main source of actual KO's in all of the tourney's across the nation.

Hokkaido

Smash Journeyman
if you'd ever been to smashboards, you'd know the forums dont follow any rules designed to promote intelligent discourse and general spreading of information
why don't we just fill up the whole front page with this topic then
nothing would ever get done as people try to sort all the information from all the topics
you are just adding to the problem while acting like you're useful
Considering I didn't realize someone else would have made a thread, don't necessarily condone endless spam and that the mods could simply merge the two threads, I'd say I'm not the problem here; Instead of simply posting flame-bait/troll and baseless arguments, why don't you try contributing something useful for a change?

It's sad when a post like this is actually one of the most on-topic posts in a thread.

Ya, there really was no point for this thread. Not with an identical thread with pages upon pages laden with advice and opinions. Most of them pointing towards Ike, fyi.

In any case, I'm not going to attend the tournament, or rather, probably not. If I don't get a chance to familiarize myself with the new controls and Ike or Zelda's moveset (for the purpose of simplicity, I'll use Ike, since Zelda appears to require a significant amount more practice to master her sweetspots), then I won't show. If I do, then I'll probably show up just to mingle with the local Smash community.

I wish they would just impose the "Bring your own controller" policy like everyone else...

I'd probably even prefer 1 stock matches to 1 minute matches, too. At this rate, most wins are going to come from accidental suicides due to no one knowing how to handle their characters.

My prediction is no one knowing how to dodge Ike's Fsmash will pretty much be the main source of actual KO's in all of the tourney's across the nation.
Actually, some good news; upon closer reading, Round 1 tournaments have their rules setup under the jurisdiction of the shop-owner/overseer/whatever/etc.. Upon talking to an employee today, I learned that my particular tournament place hadn't decided their rules yet, and more humorously that they were hoping and thinking that not many contestants would show up... and since they told me to call them back during the middle of next week, I think I'll give persuading them to allow gamecube controllers one small shot.

ama(m/t)

Smash Lord
i'd definitely say you're the problem
you suck at smash bros and are trying to give advice

Hokkaido

Smash Journeyman
i'd definitely say you're the problem
you suck at smash bros and are trying to give advice
Hah, I never said I was amazing in smash, but I certainly have more credibility than someone like you, having played/practiced at it since the release date in Japan... but I suppose that doesn't really matter, since you do nothing but spit out useless flame-bait and never really offer any base for your comments.

Hokkaido

Smash Journeyman
where's your copy of the game?
mine's right here
I don't feel like taking any snappies for you right now (plus I'm pretty sure there's something against posting about downloaded/burned games here), but I will post a video of a replay I was screwing around with my friend on: the homerun derby. Of course we don't have even close to the top score, but take note that the video is old and was posted 10 days after the game's release:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiZlJEYFPaE

I'm the Santa Ganon on the right.

ama(m/t)

Smash Lord
mine is possibly imported
point is, i am able to wifi match now
why aren't you

Hokkaido

Smash Journeyman
mine is possibly imported
point is, i am able to wifi match now
why aren't you
I've been able to watch matches without trouble through spectate/watch mode, I'm pretty sure we've gone over this in the other thread. When we try to connect to games to actually play however, it sticks us in the waiting room and never advances from there. Does anybody else have this problem? I don't know, I haven't spoken to any other import/pirate users.

ama(m/t)

Smash Lord
the "other thread"
if by other thread, you mean the other gamestop thread, then you see why we don't make new topics about the SAME THING
if not, [citation needed]
everyone has that problem

steps to playing wifi
1. trade friend codes
2. connect to wifi
3. fight

please start at step 1

Hokkaido

Smash Journeyman
the "other thread"
if by other thread, you mean the other gamestop thread, then you see why we don't make new topics about the SAME THING
if not, [citation needed]
everyone has that problem

steps to playing wifi
1. trade friend codes
2. connect to wifi
3. fight

please start at step 1
No, please resort to asking instead of trying to belittle someone without knowing what you've actually read or know what you're saying (I'm pretty sure I've said this several times, and you haven't seem to have learned). I meant the big "Watch" thread you tried to have a field day with, which you seem to mysteriously forgotten.

The problem with friend codes is that the Wii is my roommate's (it has the modchip installed, thus we've been able to play on it), and he's leaving for his home from College fresh tomorrow morning (I'll actually be headed home tomorrow afternoon). Since my own Wii is also at home but is unmodded (and thus cannot play the pirated copy we've been using), you understand why I'm asking you to be patient until March 8th, when I can get the game for myself during Spring Break at the earliest.

ama(m/t)

Smash Lord
i'm pretty sure i know what i've actually read
i see why you can't play now
but there's no reason why you couldn't play earlier

Hokkaido

Smash Journeyman
i'm pretty sure i know what i've actually read
i see why you can't play now
but there's no reason why you couldn't play earlier
Considering your arguments are pointless and completely divergent from the topic, no, you actually don't.

Keep your challenge for March 8th, and I'll destroy you (yes, you in particular. Please note that I'm not boasting that I'm a pro, in case you decide to mis-reference this). If you're not a complete pansy, perhaps you can talk with your skill and not your mouth.

Zukaza

Smash Apprentice
Considering your arguments are pointless and completely divergent from the topic, no, you actually don't.

Keep your challenge for March 8th, and I'll destroy you (yes, you in particular. Please note that I'm not boasting that I'm a pro, in case you decide to mis-reference this). If you're not a complete pansy, perhaps you can talk with your skill and not your mouth.
Isnt the game coming out March 9th? Or do you two already have the game?

Hokkaido

Smash Journeyman
Isnt the game coming out March 9th? Or do you two already have the game?
I've been using a pirated copy on my roommate's modded Wii since Feb. 2nd, but the gamestop nearby me will apparently have it available late March 8th (which is what the manager said when I talked to him regarding the tournament as well). Assuming he doesn't renege on that statement, I'm pretty sure it'll be in my hands before March 9th.

Zukaza

Smash Apprentice
I've been using a pirated copy on my roommate's modded Wii since Feb. 2nd, but the gamestop nearby me will apparently have it available late March 8th (which is what the manager said when I talked to him regarding the tournament as well). Assuming he doesn't renege on that statement, I'm pretty sure it'll be in my hands before March 9th.
Meh, i would like to have Brawl too. Ive only gotten a few chances to play it thanks to some guy at my college who decides when to treat the masses to Brawl ;)

Hokkaido

Smash Journeyman
Meh, i would like to have Brawl too. Ive only gotten a few chances to play it thanks to some guy at my college who decides when to treat the masses to Brawl ;)
My roommate wanted to set the Wii up with a projector in the lobby of one of the huge dorms around here, but I thought something would go wrong (probably along the line of us getting swamped to death), so I convinced him not to do it... but we've had our own share of stragglers in the room too; it's pretty entertaining.

Zukaza

Smash Apprentice
My roommate wanted to set the Wii up with a projector in the lobby of one of the huge dorms around here, but I thought something would go wrong (probably along the line of us getting swamped to death), so I convinced him not to do it... but we've had our own share of stragglers in the room too; it's pretty entertaining.
Lol, there was a guy who was playing with us yesterday and he kept threatening to kill the guy who beat him in brawl with a gun. He was immediately told to leave the premises by the guy who owned Brawl. I daresay he owns brawl so he has authority over us :laugh:

ama(m/t)

Smash Lord
i can talk with my skill, and right now, too.
the one who's only talking with their mouth is you
unfortunately
i'd say you've lost any credibility bonus over me for your owning of the game that you thought you ever had

Zukaza

Smash Apprentice
unfortunately
i'd say you've lost any credibility bonus over me for your owning of the game that you thought you ever had
Lol, ama's a hard ***. Hey ama, i wanna play you, you seem like the really competitive type. Or do you just talk that way? Ill add you to my buddy list and pm you around march 10th.

Hokkaido

Smash Journeyman
Lol, ama's a hard ***. Hey ama, i wanna play you, you seem like the really competitive type. Or do you just talk that way? Ill add you to my buddy list and pm you around march 10th.
Believe me, the only posts he puts up attack other people; since he hasn't put a single contributive thing in towards this board, I really would doubt he knows what he's doing.

unfortunately
Just because the deadline's March 8th, don't get all cocky because it's not something I'm backing away from. Being that I have a good understanding of Japanese and that I spent about an hour or so deciphering the menu for my friends on the first day he got it, no, I'm going to say both my roommates are better than you... we all do play with the intent to compete after all.

Zukaza

Smash Apprentice
Believe me, the only posts he puts up attack other people; since he hasn't put a single contributive thing in towards this board, I really would doubt he knows what he's doing.
Just because the deadline's March 8th, don't get all cocky because it's not something I'm backing away from. Being that I have a good understanding of Japanese and that I spent about an hour or so deciphering the menu for my friends on the first day he got it, no, I'm going to say both my roommates are better than you... we all do play with the intent to compete after all.
Yea ive noticed him around the boards lately, made quite a name for himself already.

ama(m/t)

Smash Lord
Hah, I never said I was amazing in smash, but I certainly have more credibility than someone like you,...
i was talking about credibility in reference to this post
where you don't because you've at best had the game for just as long as i have

mr. read-it-all, i've made one or two useful posts. quite enough for me, since the only things people will accept around here are posts raising ike on a pedestal
say something bad about him, 5/6 the board will be on you calling you a hater whose never played the game

finally
Being that I have a good understanding of math, and I spent about three hours studying for the test with my friends the day before the test... I'm going to say that I'm better than you at smash bros
lol

btw the interface does not require translating
i would invest in some common sense before you continue down your competitive path

Hokkaido

Smash Journeyman
i was talking about credibility in reference to this post
where you don't because you've at best had the game for just as long as i have

mr. read-it-all, i've made one or two useful posts. quite enough for me, since the only things people will accept around here are posts raising ike on a pedestal
say something bad about him, 5/6 the board will be on you calling you a hater whose never played the game

finally
Being that I have a good understanding of math, and I spent about three hours studying for the test with my friends the day before the test... I'm going to say that I'm better than you at smash bros
lol

btw the interface does not require translating
i would invest in some common sense before you continue down your competitive path
Looks like somebody's bitter about his perspective on Ike :). There are obviously things on the menu that didn't need translating (and most of these were in fact translated and posted side-by-side in screenshots on several websites to help players out), many of the menu translations and control options were things we would rather know first instead of "trial-and-error". Add up the stickers from the subspace emissary, and you've got a slew of translations... so yes, in deciding to be efficient and to have more fun with the main story mode, I suppose we were being lacking in the common sense department.

Who cares how long you've had the game for? Just don't try and forget (or pretend to forget and hope I won't catch you, if you're like that as well) the challenge.

BearsAreScary

Smash Journeyman

Knowledge of the Japanese language has been scientifically proven to be directly proportional to video game skill. That's why Japanese players are better than US players

Hokkaido

Smash Journeyman
you could not beat anybody period because you can't even play the game
Even if he hasn't touched the game I'm pretty sure he can play better than you do. :)

edit:
Knowledge of the Japanese language has been scientifically proven to be directly proportional to video game skill. That's why Japanese players are better than US players
It certainly helps when you know the rules/advanced rules setting's effects on your gameplay;
YOUR LOGIC IS SUPERIOR

BearsAreScary

Smash Journeyman
Even if he hasn't touched the game I'm pretty sure he can play better than you do. :)

edit:

It certainly helps when you know the rules/advanced rules setting's effects on your gameplay;
YOUR LOGIC IS SUPERIOR
Yea it's pretty hard to read rules like "stokku" vs "taimu", and the item switch, so difficult!!!
Even if I were not able to read to read them myself, I'm sure it becomes obvious to anyone with more than six brain cells that if you turn the items on a certain option and items still appear, you've picked the wrong option. Also "ON" vs "OFF" still gets me sometimes, but I'm working on it.

What's this? How come I have infinite stock but there is, instead, a timer on the screen?
I AM SO CONFUSED

Hokkaido

Smash Journeyman
Yea it's pretty hard to read rules like "stokku" vs "taimu", and the item switch, so difficult!!!
Even if I were not able to read to read them myself, I'm sure it becomes obvious to anyone with more than six brain cells that if you turn the items on a certain option and items still appear, you've picked the wrong option. Also "ON" vs "OFF" still gets me sometimes, but I'm working on it.

What's this? How come I have infinite stock but there is, instead, a timer on the screen?
I AM SO CONFUSED
</sarcasm>?

I guess it passed over your head.

ama(m/t)

Smash Lord
Who cares how long you've had the game for? Just don't try and forget (or pretend to forget and hope I won't catch you, if you're like that as well) the challenge.
Hah, I never said I was amazing in smash, but I certainly have more credibility than someone like you, having played/practiced at it since the release date in Japan....
the menu translations and option translations take no more than 10 seconds per option, translated by me who is not japanese nor has ever taken a japanese course
stickers, maybe

but you sluggishly translating the game's menus for an hour or so do not increase the skill of your roommates, sorry.
especially since you all
play with the intent to compete after all.
the only options that should matter to you are item switch and stage select. maybe friendly fire if you're into teams

i'm pretty sure i'm the best smash bros player on this forum, and no one here on this forum can contest me since none of you can match me

Hokkaido

Smash Journeyman
i'm pretty sure i'm the best smash bros player on this forum, and no one here on this forum can contest me since none of you can match me
Actually, I didn't mean for those phrases to be in the same sentence; my roommates are simply better than you are. If you're the best brawl player on the forum, then that would mean that my roommates and I are better than you (also meaning we would be the better brawl players than everybody here)...but since I'm pretty sure you're fece-fied, I'll just hold you to your challenge on March 8th. Don't chicken out, k?

BearsAreScary

Smash Journeyman
</sarcasm>?

I guess it passed over your head.
What the heck are you talking about
Admitting my logic is superior was sarcastic? YOU'RE CRAZY

Please ignore my entire post, which details why my logic is superior. Your knowledge of the Japanese language is completely irrelevant to your skill at Smash Bros. How was this not searingly obvious?

There, I spelled it out for you. No jokes, no sarcasm, no witty response. Logic only. Enjoy.

Top Bottom