• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gameshark code question

¨°PÞ-§°¨ Bane

Smash Apprentice
gives you a neutral start which is most fair. p1 p2 spawn makes p2 somewhat pinned down right from the start of the match. it can also sometimes be advantageous for p2 in certain matchups

¨°PÞ-§°¨ Bane

Smash Apprentice
hm, those are the working codes, but if i have them pre-loaded and i try to boot up the game on pj64 it doesn't load.. strange.

Last edited:

mixa

Banned via Warnings
I remember I had this cheat working, but since I couldn't make it work online, I stopped using it.

Looking at the cheat file, it seems that this is the one that worked for me:
Code:
Cheat83="_VS Mode\2P 4P slot swap",81218976 058D,81218978 0391
Cheat83_N=Dream Land / VS Mode only.
I also have the one Star King posted, but it's not indexed to the cheat file, so I assume it didn't work for me then.

Well, I tested it and it seems none of them work now. :drshrug:

Last edited:

Madao

Ok now I'm mind blown. So I try my own code and it doesn't work!

For some reason the address is 802189B6 instead of 80218976 for player 1 spawn coordinate X. So I got the spawn code to work when I switched 7 to B.

The reason the emulator freezes when you load the game with the cheat code, is because the memory addresses used for the code are used for other things too. I'll try and find a convenient way around this, without relying on activator codes, which don't work on PJ64k. Honestly though, PJ64k sucks anyway lol. I wonder how the japanese got their code to work. I'm pretty sure they based it off my code though :) .

I'm wondering what I did differently. I'm not going to edit my thread, until I figure out exactly what's going on. I know that when items are enabled, the addresses change, but I only posted the addresses for when items are off.
I summon the great @ Madao Madao
So who's on your team for the smash64 mod?

Last edited:

mixa

Banned via Warnings
B instead of 7 does fix the code, but when playing online, it'll freeze the emulator when loading the next screen or so -- which is the same problem I had the first time I used the code a few months ago.

I wonder how the japanese got their code to work. I'm pretty sure they based it off my code though :) .
Wasn't it the other way around? As I recall, I saw their code and asked you if you could make it one (http://smashboards.com/threads/ask-...king-a-question.237869/page-204#post-16468401)

Last edited:

Madao

B instead of 7 does fix the code, but when playing online, it'll freeze the emulator when loading the next screen or so -- which is the same problem I had the first time.
So I guess the 7 was a typo lol.

I tried the code you posted here and it doesn't work at all. I want to see if the J version has the same issue. I could make the J version code myself, but I'd rather use the exact same code they used.

Ya so the only solution I know of is to use activator codes. Maybe that'l convince people to stop using the obsolute PJ64k.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
Haha, they don't work for me either. But I remember those jp codes worked then because I even made a cheat file for J, but since I couldn't play J online, I don't know if the issue was there as well.

Madao

I guess I was assuming they based it off mine, since they did port some of my other codes. Now that I think about it, I have no idea when they even made these codes. I actually had the spawn coordinate GS codes since like November or something. I just never tried putting it into a patch until you asked that day. I'm getting closer to my goal of rom hacking. Zoinkity helped me out a lot, so big thanks to him. So maybe someday I'll just be able to easily patch it into the rom, so we don't have to deal with this.

Now http://ch.nicovideo.jp/nanakyouSP/blomaga is gone :( . Is there a new site? I'd like to see if they found anything new lately.

Something weird is going on here! How could a code all the sudden not work?? Oh well, I guess I'll try making a J version code and see if that has the same issue.

Edit: Lol I just noticed they are using emulator, (with an obsolete gfx plugin). Looks like J version works without noticable side effects.

I just tried the GS code for J version on Nemu and it works. For some reason, it's not working on pj64 1.6 or KVE.

So I looked at memory viewer through Cheat Engine 6.4 and I think I solved the mystery as to why my old code doesn't work. I primarily use Nemu64 for making GS codes since it has an amazing debugger. For some reason the code I made doesn't work on every other emulator. It turns out there's 2 sets of data, so I just made a code off the 2nd set which is why I changed 7 to B. I applied the same thing to the J version code posted and it now works in PJ64. That's another reason why I believed they simply ported my code, because their's is based on the 1st set, just like my old code. Looks like the J version works differently because there's no major side effects to the code. I'm wondering how/if they got their original code to work.

For player 1 in J version VS Mode Dream Land no items, it's
81216326 ???? (X)
81216328 ???? (Y)

Conclusion, there are a few solutions. Solution 1 is to use cheat engine instead of gameshark (ghetto). Solution 2 is to play J version (lol). Solution 3 is to use a better online emulator. Solution 4 is to patch the rom. There's not really any way for me to make a gameshark code without side effects that changes the spawn, because the game loads the data from the rom, and that same memory location is used for other important things. That's why you need to add conditional codes, to reduce/eliminate side effects.

I'd personally go with Solution #3. Obviously Solution #4 is the most ideal, but also the most difficult.

Last edited:

Madao

i want a code that gives pika's up b an extra thingy so it can do 3 directions
Unfortunately it would require you to rewrite a significant amount of code. MIPS is a hassle too since the branching instructions aren't as flexible compared to x86.

Anyway, here's infinite Up B for Pikachu.
81153210 2400

mixa

Banned via Warnings
Anyway, here's infinite Up B for Pikachu.
81153210 2400
What is that code supposed to do? The only effect I saw was Pikachu could only teleport once during the up-B.

Madao

What is that code supposed to do? The only effect I saw was Pikachu could only teleport once during the up-B.
The frame window is probably pretty narrow. It's a lot easier to do in slow-mo if you like to tap.
The easy way to do it is to just hold it. It's a pretty broken code, but it's the best I can do unfortunately lol.

Madao

Slow-mo or not, I couldn't do it.
The code basically just allows you to inf teleport (so long as you have joystick input to a direction). As soon as you stop teleporting, you can't teleport again, until you get hit or land. That would require a different code to always be able to Up B. I can't remember if I posted that code or not.

Just try holding a direction. If it still doesn't work, it must mean that you are enabling the code after starting a match. Any gameshark code that changes CPU instructions, will require you to turn it on early, when playing in CPU Recompiler mode on emulator.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
Nope, can't do it. Then again there are a bunch of codes that don't work for me so whatever.

Madao

That's just odd! What emulator are you using? I will try it out on w/e emulator.

Doesn't make sense how it just doesn't work for you.

Can anyone else confirm whether this code works??

mixa

Banned via Warnings
I was using PJ 1.7.

Upon seeing your post I tried it on KVE, and it bugged the emulator altogether -- the game doesn't progress past the initial screen.

edit: I don't know what happened, my KVE doesn't open Smash Bros (U) anymore. My cheat file is now busted. If I put it in a freshly unzipped emulator, it'll crash. What.

Last edited:

Madao

Apparently, it just doesn't work on PJ64. It's not like my code is incorrect, so I blame the emulator! It clearly isn't running the CPU instructions the way it's supposed to.

So I apologize for that issue. I only tested it on Nemu64 and 1964. I'll see if it works on Mupen64.

Lol now I have another reason not to use PJ64...

Edit: Mind = blown. I guess the way certain emulators handle CPU instructions is different. I did some debugging and found what caused the problem. So to get it working on PJ64, you have to do
81153210 2400
81153214 2400

What's interesting is that when i only used the first code, I could just hold a direction and it would keep going. But when I use the newer code, I have to press it, so it's harder to do. Man debuggers are so useful!

This is fun analyzing game mechanics.

Last edited:

mixa

Banned via Warnings
Ah, so that explains it. Still weird that by simply putting those numbers in the .cht file, it would make the emulator crash. I guess that's PJ64 for you.

Interesting cheat.
With a bit of planning and synched inputs one could attempt something like an air show. The sound would be a bit obnoxious, but I guess that's top tiers for you.

Last edited:
Top Bottom