• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gamecuve Controllers?

NOT-OKAY

Smash Rookie
I have only played Wii U and 3DS, and I only use a Wii U Pro controller. I've noticed that most people in competitive use the GameCube controller, but they have probably been using it since Melee. Should I buy one even though I've never played Melee/ Brawl, or should I stick to the Wii U Pro?

MarioManTAW

Smash Ace
I have only played Wii U and 3DS, and I only use a Wii U Pro controller. I've noticed that most people in competitive use the GameCube controller, but they have probably been using it since Melee. Should I buy one even though I've never played Melee/ Brawl, or should I stick to the Wii U Pro?
Definitely not required. Comparison of GC to Wii U Pro (+ indicates pro, - indicates con), disregarding any controller familiarity:

GC: notched sticks (+), slower trigger buttons (-), fewer trigger buttons (-), wired (doesn't actually make it faster like some people think, but you don't have to worry about it causing interference)
Pro: rounded sticks (-), faster trigger buttons (+), more triggers (+), wireless

Keep in mind that each also has a different button/C-stick layout. For me personally, Wii U Pro would be my controller of choice... if I had one.

NOT-OKAY

Smash Rookie
Definitely not required. Comparison of GC to Wii U Pro (+ indicates pro, - indicates con), disregarding any controller familiarity:

GC: notched sticks (+), slower trigger buttons (-), fewer trigger buttons (-), wired (doesn't actually make it faster like some people think, but you don't have to worry about it causing interference)
Pro: rounded sticks (-), faster trigger buttons (+), more triggers (+), wireless

Keep in mind that each also has a different button/C-stick layout. For me personally, Wii U Pro would be my controller of choice... if I had one.
Thank you! To be honest, I didn't expect anyone to respond

Crosstails20

Smash Journeyman
I don't use any of thoes controllers but if you want a gamecube controller with out buying an adapter. All you need is a wii remote and a hori battle pad and boom you got your self a cheap game cube controller

Lola Luftnagle

Banned via Warnings
If you want to get the most out of the characters then yes, GCN controller is the way to go. Other controller methods are a bit awkward in my opinion.

Top Bottom