• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gamecube Controller Question

DoktoroKiu

Smash Rookie
Tl;dr -- Why is the gamecube controller's analog stick angled/rotated to the right? Has anyone had issues adapting to this/from this?

Hello, all. This is my first post here so please correct me if I am in the wrong section or anything.

A bit of back-story:
I've been a big fan of smash games since the 64 version, but the 64 is the last Nintendo console I owned. I played some melee with friends for a while, but not enough to really become good at it. I have played quite a bit of Brawl and more recently Project M, but I have primarily used the Wii-mote and nun-chuck until recently switching to a gamecube controller. I'm weaning myself off of pushing up to jump and trying to learn to use the c-stick.

The issue:
Since the switch I've had more frequent problems with not performing the intended attack, and I've been writing it off as me just not being used to the controller. I frequently do the wrong direction when I'm doing smashes, so I've been more deliberately directing my moves in what I feel are the correct directions and it has strangely only made things worse...

This morning before work I took a good look at the controller (something you don't do in-game) and I noticed that the axis is slightly off on the analog stick. It is somewhat angled to the right (I can only tell thanks to the octagonal shape). Is the analog sticks axis really rotated slightly to the right on a Gamecube controller? As far as I know none of the other major controllers have this design, and it feels very odd to me that up isn't up and so on.

This can perfectly explain some of my issues, especially since I've probably been over-correcting for it and making the issue worse:
1) Sometimes I just sit in my egg (Yoshi for life) when I intend to dodge left, and repeated left-dodging is usually pretty choppy. My guess is I'm sometimes registering a down-press instead of a left press. At any rate I am positive that dodging left is less smooth for me than dodging right.
2) I have on several occasions done my up-b recovery in the wrong direction when on the left side of the stage. The slight leftward press when I push "straight up" may be changing my direction.
3) A good chunk of my smash mix-ups are between an up/down attack and an over attack in the direction that correlates with the analog stick angle. Since I like to play odd characters I easily get screwed in the event of a mix-up (unintended gravity smashes, accidental egg-rolls)
4) Before I disable pushing up to jump I would constantly be missing jumps that I would swear I had.

Has anyone else had problems with this? I'm sure I'm a rare case in that I have experience with the wii and n64 but not the gamecube, but certainly someone had to notice this before (at least in going from gamecube to xbox/playstation where the analogs are not angled). I think I had such a hard time noticing this because the wii-mote + nun-chuck is laid out very similarly to the gamecube controller (minus a few buttons) except the analog stick is not angled. Another issue (my issue, not the controller's) is that the buttons need pushed harder on the gamecube controllers that I have used (as compared to a wiimote + nun-chuck).

I'll have to test my hypothesis in actual gameplay, but I'm almost positive that this is the cause of some (at least a small fraction) of my grief when my mind's intended actions don't map to what my character does.

DoktoroKiu

Smash Rookie
Just did a quick and dirty analysis in paint and I believe it definitively shows that the axis is angled:

Here's a picture of what I'm talking about:

I put the picture of the controller in paint, drew a line that goes through the top and bottom angles in the octagonal edges around the stick, and then drew a vertical line next to that one. There is clearly an angle between "up" on the stick and "real" up (in my mind anyway). This is more ergonomic, but it messes with my head a little.

Clearly if I am being precise in my motions this small angle wouldn't be a problem, but in the head of a battle a slightly down-left press becomes a truly down-left press (causing my left-dodging problem). I've also not ever really experimented with the zone sensitivity of the analog stick to see exactly how much tolerance there is in each direction.

Last edited:

Spennicus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
groovysmithy
3DS FC
2750-1131-0443
I've never even noticed that before. Must be because I've had a GameCube practically all my life and I'm just super used to it. I've never had any issues with the stick before.

Top Bottom