• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gamecube Controller Problems

Pye

Smash Journeyman
Montreal. PM me if you're on the island! I need op
Hey everyone.

So here's the story. I got my gamecube on release day, 6 years ago, along with an extra controller (making two total. The purple one that comes with the cube, and the extra black one). I still have these controllers today, which is surprising. They have survived almost 6 years of SSBM abuse, along with quite a bit of Kirby: Air Ride, two Metroid games, Pikmin, two Sonic games and Super Mario Sunshine.

Now, however, they seem to be on their last legs.

The purple controller's joystick is really loose (which isn't that much of a problem right now, since it's not loose enough to affect gameplay, but I'm worried it might get worse), the C-stick sometimes goes completely unresponsive, or gets "stuck" (the C-stick is in neutral position, but every time I grab in SSBM, it auto-throws in a direction, 99% of the time down). I have to mash the c-stick around for about 5 seconds for it to work again :\

The black controller is not nearly as worn down in that the joystick isn't loose, but sometimes the C-stick won't work left and right, but it still registers fine up and down. But what worries me the most is every time this controller is plugged in when the cube is turned on, it comes on as "stuck" scrolling up (so the SSBM menu at the beginning is screwy). I have to reset the cube several times for this to go away (my record so far is 14 times :\ ).

I've opened up the controllers and found the joysticks and C-sticks to be clogged with dust and such, and after cleaning that up, they worked fine for a few months. Now their getting worse again, and the C-sticks are ceaseing to function. I opened them today only to find them unclogged, so the problem is something different this time.

Does anyone have ways to fix these problems?

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Take them to a repair shop? Idk, my controller's control stick are a big 'wobby' too sometimes due to months of playing SSBM.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Buy new controllers. Seriously. It's simple wear and tear, and it happens eventually, especially if you play Smash a lot.

Pye

Smash Journeyman
Montreal. PM me if you're on the island! I need op
Darnit. I'm a Falco player on SSBM (and all smash players know that for some reason, Falcos have a harder time adjusting to a new controller then any other players. This phenomenon i still a mystery :p), so I was hesitant to get new controllers. I guess these ones have bit the dust though. *sigh*

Thanks for the replies guys.

falco_4_life

Smash Lord
i know what your talkin about. me bein a falco player to. when i play with someone else controller its hard to adjust. But just buy a new controller n switch between playin with it n playin with your other controllers. soon or later you'll get used to your new controller

FireBomb

Smash Lord
My Wavebird got overloaded even though it's not terribly old. It was working fine until I got more into intensive Smash, then I guess I destroyed it from the inside out. It doesn't work anymore after turning it on again and again, so I resorted to the normal ones.

But yeah, just get a new one if you really need it. It hasn't really been almost 6 years, has it? More like a little more than 5, but yeah, those controllers gotta give sometime.

Top Bottom