• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Game & Watch's sliding Chef

Eminus

Smash Rookie
Sometimes, when using Game & Watch's neutral B in midair with some horizontal momentum, he will slide on the ground upon landing. The thing is, it seems to happen randomly... I first thought that it was caused by cancelling his parachute with chef, but that's not it.

Has it ever happened to anyone else? And, most importantly, do you know what causes it?

Last edited:

pepi1197

Smash Apprentice
NNID
pepi1197
My only thought would be that you're doing a B-reverse upon landing. Are you facing the same direction all the way to the landing?

Eminus

Smash Rookie
My only thought would be that you're doing a B-reverse upon landing. Are you facing the same direction all the way to the landing?
G&W happens to slide regardless of the direction I'm facing. Whether I'm doing a B-reverse or even a wavebounce doesn't seem to influence anything.
I'm starting to think it could be related to rage... Really not sure though

Eminus

Smash Rookie
lol it's a documented G&W thing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QmVNOYePSE
It's just landing on the right frame
I see, this kinda confirms what I've been figuring out then. It seems like on a specific frame, the game "forgets" that G&W has landed during his chef animation. I'm thinking this firstly because G&W keeps his vertical momentum as long as the chef animation doesn't end (e.g. if you Dair and do a reverse neutral B before landing, successfully trigger a "greasy" chef and slide off-stage, G&W will maintain the falling speed from the Dair). And secondly because G&W's feet keep the position they had in the air (instead of standing flat on the ground)
So it's like G&W is in a constant falling state, and that he's "held" by the stage from going down. And he slides because his horizontal momentum remains untouched.

This is very awkward to both explain and perform, minimizing the use for it. Plus, if someone were to get the hang of it in competitive play, Nintendo would probably have fixed it, since it's most likely a glitch. (ok idk if nintendo would go back to patch a wii u game today but still lol)

I'm glad that we've kinda figured this out though. This video you linked is 1 year old and I feel dumb for never finding it. Thanks dude!

Top Bottom