• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Game & Watch weaknesses

ividal

Smash Cadet
Been playing against G&W for a while and besides his dash attack being punishable and being quite light, i can't find anything else that would help against him, could a G&W main tell me what are his weaknesses? it would be highly appreciated if you could.

Folie

Smash Apprentice
It's kinda hard without being specific to MUs but this is what comes to mind imo

1. he can have trouble finishing stocks at reasonable percents at times, especially on some heavies
2. he lacks anything close to a kill throw and his one kill setup out of grab relies on an airdodge read at a lot of times
3. has trouble gimping some characters with good horizontal recoveries, or good recoveries in general (Fox, Sheik, Villager, etc)
4. easily punishable on landing by characters which have very fast punish options (Falcon dash grab, Fox dash usmash, Sheik anything, Sonic anything, etc)
5. Getting caught doing jab combo on nothing = death
6. bad in teams outside of bucket jank (I could be incredibly wrong, I am h o r r i b l e in teams)

NotAsian

Smash Journeyman
Weak hit of fair is awful
They can punish bair if your too close to them (happens to me alot they pretty much fall out of it)
All air moves have alot of lag
Dying early (80%near ledge with ness)
Can't touch the ground against fast characters

NouveauRétro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Royal_Bros.
3. has trouble gimping some characters with good horizontal recoveries, or good recoveries in general (Fox, Sheik, Villager, etc)
6. bad in teams outside of bucket jank (I could be incredibly wrong, I am h o r r i b l e in teams)
G&W is pretty good in team play, even without bucket. A partner really shores up his weaknesses.

Also, Fox shouldn't be particularly difficult to gimp. Fire>Phantasm and dair>Fox Fire. Just take advantage of that and you should get the early kill occasionally.

SeanS

Smash Journeyman
Been playing against G&W for a while and besides his dash attack being punishable and being quite light, i can't find anything else that would help against him, could a G&W main tell me what are his weaknesses? it would be highly appreciated if you could.

- no kill throw
- Basically has to be on the offensive all the time in a game where it is hard to, except against other aggro characters (jiggs, peach, mario, little mac, etc. basically anyone who can't zone easily or play reactively) or DeDeDe / DK, who are fat and without a (comparatively) great oos / zoning game.
- Major issues comboing fastfallers, especially Fox, who can literally DI out of throw combos
- Aerials are a bit too endlaggy, even when properly spaced.
- Bucket endlag sucks terribly and needs to be patched.
- Often has to shield or spot dodge purely reactive approaches.

As a Yoshi player (assumedly), you definitely have the advantage. sh fair covers so much and usually at least trades G&W's aerials, forcing him to usmash or dodge most of the time, and more rarely getting you hit by predictive bair. It can also cover both of his grounded ledge getups (ledge roll really needs to get patched :/). In addition, b reverse is a very common way to stifle G&W's aggression and tendency to shield reactive moves, forcing him to play erratically / a step ahead of you. If you combine these two moves, and throw in a sh air dodge to falling nair every now and then, you can do wonders.

Also, you can escape throw combos at around 20-30%ish by abusing double jump super armor, which is incredibly ****ing dumb, but you might as well take advantage of it.

Last edited:

SeanS

Smash Journeyman
Also, Fox shouldn't be particularly difficult to gimp. Fire>Phantasm and dair>Fox Fire. Just take advantage of that and you should get the early kill occasionally.

Any smart Fox will be combining both of these moves to guarantee a recovery based upon your positioning. Movement is much less of a commitment for him than it is for you in the edgeguarding scenario.

Infinite901

Smash Ace
NNID
Infinite901
3DS FC
3282-4624-0341
Oh yeah, Yoshi is probably one of Game and Watches worst matchups since he can escape his down-throw combos with his double jump, and those combos are vital to playing G&W in this game.

NouveauRétro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Royal_Bros.
Any smart Fox will be combining both of these moves to guarantee a recovery based upon your positioning. Movement is much less of a commitment for him than it is for you in the edgeguarding scenario.
He recovers FAST, he's just pretty vulnerable while doing it. Phantasm rarely beats G&W's aerials, sometimes trading, and a well spaced bair destroys a low Fox Fire. Yeah, it's a mixup situation where you have to make to make the correct first read, but if you manage to get him offstage without his double jump he should be screwed. Movement shouldn't be a problem Since a well-timed Fire should reset the gimp, hopefully also taking his double jump. Also, If he just has Fox Fire left, it's your fault if you fail to stop that recovery, since that move has pretty much no protection from G&W.

If you're in the wrong position when he gets knocked offstage, well that's never a gimp opportunity for any character is it?

SeanS

Smash Journeyman
Oh yeah, Yoshi is probably one of Game and Watches worst matchups since he can escape his down-throw combos with his double jump, and those combos are vital to playing G&W in this game.
I wouldn't go that far at all. Double jump armor is only really relevant at the percent range I mentioned because otherwise the hitstun will be too much for Yoshi to jump out of.

A bad matchup, but G&W is capable of fighting Yoshi. Just have to stay a step ahead of him usually.

Last edited:

NouveauRétro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Royal_Bros.
I wouldn't go that far at all. Double jump armor is only really relevant at the percent range I mentioned because otherwise the hitstun will be too much for Yoshi to jump out of.

A bad matchup, but G&W is capable of fighting Yoshi. Just have to stay a step ahead of him usually.
Well, for reference he can jump out of down-throw to uptilt until 19%. The ranges are very unique for this character even without his double jump. If he spams jump he's nearly impossible to combo at low percents, a trait special for him.

Last edited:
Top Bottom