• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Game of The Year

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
I say it's the Last of Us, great characters, great gameplay, AMAZING story, emotional soundtrack, and the game looks amazing. It is a great swan song for the PS3, like Majora's Mask and Conker's Bad Fur Day were for the N64.
If anyone else has an argument about that, let me know or forever hold you peace

mood4food77

Smash Hero
it's pretty obvious it's either going to be GTA V or The Last of Us as they were the two biggest games of the year by quite a bit

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Any game with Troy Baker in it has a chance

Dangit Troy Baker.

Gettin all the good voice acting jobs.

Zink Imp

Smash Ace
GTA V for sure will win. Gotta get that somehow.

My personal GOTY will probably be...

Project X Zone?
That's the only game I've bought so far in 2013 =/

nat pagle

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0834-1759-2409
I'm going with Last of Us.

GTA completely bombed with the multiplayer and it tarnishes the rest of the game because of it. If GTA was just single player it would've actually won, but now that the online is screwed over I doubt it can get back over Last of Us.

nat pagle

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0834-1759-2409
Game of the Year Awards: Where everyone forgets about every game that came out before October.

Last of Us came out in the summer and GTA was released in September. Not to mention no other games besides Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing, and a few others come close to a perfect 10.

finalark

SNORLAX
Last of Us came out in the summer and GTA was released in September. Not to mention no other games besides Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing, and a few others come close to a perfect 10.

You're right, let me rephrase that.

Game of the Year Awards: Where everyone forgets about every game that came out before the fall. Because really, I don't expect FE Awaken or Animal Crossing to appear on any sites. Even though they are very high-quality games. Honestly, the only pre-fall game I expect to see talked about is Bioshock Infinite.

nat pagle

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0834-1759-2409
You're right, let me rephrase that.

Game of the Year Awards: Where everyone forgets about every game that came out before the fall. Because really, I don't expect FE Awaken or Animal Crossing to appear on any sites. Even though they are very high-quality games. Honestly, the only pre-fall game I expect to see talked about is Bioshock Infinite.

None of those got perfect tens on multiple sites though. That's why no one's talking about them.

finalark

SNORLAX
None of those got perfect tens on multiple sites though. That's why no one's talking about them.

I'm not sure what you're talking about, but Bioshock infinite got 10s out the ass.

Let's use Game Informer, for example, a widely-read magazine in NA (not sure about EU).

1992: Street Figther II (July)
1993: Mortal Kombat (September)
(for some reason three years are skipped)
1996: Super Mario 64 (September)
1997: Final Fantasy VII (September)
1998: Ocarina of Time (November)
1999: Super Smash Bros. (April)
2000: Tony Hawk 2 (September)
2001: Metal Gear Solid 2 (November)
(For some reason four years are skipped)
2005: Resident Evil 4 (January for GCN, October for PS2)
2006: Twilight Princess (November)
2007: Bioshock (August)
2008: GTA4 (April)
2009: Uncharted 2 (October)
2010: Red Dead Redemption (May)
2011: ES5 (November)
2012: ME3 (March for PS360 and PC, November for Wii U)

Notice how a vast majority of these games were released in the fall. There is a reason why you see so many triple-A releases in the fall. At that point, most people will have forgotten about releases for earlier that year. Thus, giving these triple-A releases a higher chance of getting game of the year.

nat pagle

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0834-1759-2409
I'm not sure what you're talking about, but Bioshock infinite got 10s out the ***.

Let's use Game Informer, for example, a widely-read magazine in NA (not sure about EU).

1992: Street Figther II (July)
1993: Mortal Kombat (September)
(for some reason three years are skipped)
1996: Super Mario 64 (September)
1997: Final Fantasy VII (September)
1998: Ocarina of Time (November)
1999: Super Smash Bros. (April)
2000: Tony Hawk 2 (September)
2001: Metal Gear Solid 2 (November)
(For some reason four years are skipped)
2005: Resident Evil 4 (January for GCN, October for PS2)
2006: Twilight Princess (November)
2007: Bioshock (August)
2008: GTA4 (April)
2009: Uncharted 2 (October)
2010: Red Dead Redemption (May)
2011: ES5 (November)
2012: ME3 (March for PS360 and PC, November for Wii U)

Notice how a vast majority of these games were released in the fall. There is a reason why you see so many triple-A releases in the fall. At that point, most people will have forgotten about releases for earlier that year. Thus, giving these triple-A releases a higher chance of getting game of the year.

Still, Last of Us if I recall got more 10's than it.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
no game that came out this year was close to as big as the last of us or GTAV except for bioshock infinite

i'm going to list the only games of 2013 with a rating of 90+ based on gamerankings.com percentages (i use it over metacritic because it accounts for more reviewers than metacritic does, even though they're both owned by cbs...go figure), i'm not listing duplicates

1. GTA V (97.01% PS3, 96.21% X360)
2. The Last of Us (95.04%)
3. Bioshock Infinite (92.62% PC, 91.89% X360, PS3 doesn't have enough reviews to count)
4. Fire Emblem: Awakening (92.52%)
5. The Stanley Parable (91.30%)
6. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD (91.18%)

and that's it, 6 different games, there's quite a big gap between review scores for TLoU and Bioshock (3% is pretty big), we also had saints row IV, tomb raider (which i loved), pokemon, rayman legends, and a good amount of MMOs to come out but nothing blew up like GTAV and TLoU did this year, not even bioshock

nat pagle

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0834-1759-2409
GTA V had a multiplayer disaster that detracted from it too much. Last of Us has none of that while Bioshock from what I heard had port issues.

Top Bottom