• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Game Disc Read Error.

Vorguen

Smash Champion
About a month or two ago my Wii started giving me "Game Disc Read Errors" (looks like weird screen with Green Letters)

The obvious problem with this is I can't play my Brawl at peace or any other game for the matter, it does this with any game. And I know it is the Wii and not my games because I can load my Brawl on other Wii's without a problem, and my Wii will Error out on any game I put in it.

Does anyone know how I can fix this? Any information on what the problem may be and how I can solve this would help out a ton.

Thanks a lot.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Depending on the age and condition of your Wii, it may yet be under warranty. So check that out firstly.

But other than that, you've certainly got a hardware problem. There's two possibilities:

1) The disk reading lens is dirty. Cleaning it will fix the problem right up. You can try buying a lens cleaning disk. (They're just CD's with lots of fuzz instead of data!) In typical electronics, it's usually a better idea to open it up yourself and clean it manually. But a Wii is hazardous to even open, much less clean.

2) Something inside is really broken. If this is the case, then you're stuck. Nothing you can do. Try getting it refurbished through Nintendo.

Vorguen

Smash Champion
Thank you. I am interested in the lens cleaning disk. Are they multiple use, or would they have to be discarded after one use? And how much do they usually go for?

Also, if I decided to open up my own Wii and clean it, should I follow some sort of manual (as I am no engineer myself) or should I just unscrew it carefully and clean it with alcohol + cotton?

The Wii is relatively old and it has tipped over a few times from it's standing position to the side, which could have caused some damage.

How long is the warranty? I have had my Wii for about 2 years and 1 or 2 months.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Try looking for something like this. You should be able to pick them up at any standard electronics stores, like Fry's Electronics, or whatever. Or if not, they'll know where to point you to.

There's always the chance that something is actually broken. But since those lens cleaners are so cheap (less than 10 dollars, usually) it's worth the shot.

The Wii Warranty information can be found here. It looks like it only lasts 12 months, though. But they do service out-of-warranty items. You may just have to pay a bit. But it'll certainly be less than a whole new Wii!

Oh, and opening up your Wii can be complicated and hazardous. Look at this video. It was never designed to be opened by the customers. :( Though that does make me want to mod my case out. :)

Vorguen

Smash Champion
That's interesting. I had honestly never heard of disk cleaners those definitely caught my attention. After seeing the Wii opening video I definitely feel I would be risking my Wii way much more than I could ever help it. I am easily frustrated with stuff like that. If the Wii does not get fixed with the disk cleaners then I'll have to decide between opening it up or calling the manufacterers to see how much it would cost.

And once again, thank you for the help. :)

Top Bottom