• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Game Development Help Wanted

OddCrow

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1676-3709-1310
I am currently creating a 2-D side scrolling game which I think will be immensely popular, however I have 2 dilemmas, 1 I need a few other people's help, 2 I don't know/have the program/software I need to develop it. I will update this thread later (a week or so) with my ideas for the game so far.

snoblo

Smash Journeyman
What language are you writing it in? I doubt I have the time to spend much time on it, but I could provide some help if you need.

OddCrow

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1676-3709-1310
I was looking for some software but I don't know where to find any. I was thinking about buying dark basic but I'm not sure just yet. and the game is a 2-d side scroller, the main character is a stick figure and he has over 70 diverse weapons to use. I also need people who can make sprites and such.

manacloud1

Smash Champion
why dont you

I was looking for some software but I don't know where to find any. I was thinking about buying dark basic but I'm not sure just yet. and the game is a 2-d side scroller, the main character is a stick figure and he has over 70 diverse weapons to use. I also need people who can make sprites and such.
just buy flash and start programming in actionscript if u want to start somewhere. Dark basic is pretty complicated, u need c++ knowledge and 3d modeling skills. why? cause i know im experienced in using dark basic and i know c++

OddCrow

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1676-3709-1310
hrmmm....btw this is my first game and it's not going to be really complicated. I from what I know need to program in...

Level Design (around 12)
The main guy (1)
enemies & bosses (around 40)
the weapons(73)
combos for the weapons
and physics.

should that be hard for a first timer?

snoblo

Smash Journeyman
well if you have zero/little experience with programming in general, what you are asking to do is virtually impossible. You should start with a hello world program (lol!), and start you way up, step by step. Of course, if you're using flash, it would much easier, but by the way you're explaining your idea, your game seems quite complicated.

I don't mean to discourage you, but I suggest you start with the basics. If you are so eager to make a game, start with flash, since its easy to make graphics and actionscript is insanely easy compared to most other languages.

Good Luck!

Eight Sage

Smash Lord
in the range of 0.0.0.0 to 255.255.255.255
well if you have zero/little experience with programming in general, what you are asking to do is virtually impossible. [...] Of course, if you're using flash, it would much easier, but by the way you're explaining your idea, your game seems quite complicated.
As snoblo said, programming is hard. If you don't program so much, or you don't know how to program (that is worse), you should start with flash.

You should start with a hello world program (lol!)
System.out.println("Hello world!");

Top Bottom