• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Game breaking bug - Cinematic Finishers Remove Stage Collision

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Posting this in the competitive forum as I think it's most relevant to competitive play due to edge guards being common.

Basically, when a cinematic finisher is performed, the game temporarily disables stage collision. When grounded, this won't cause any problems since the game also freezes all animations and physics during it, so characters don't get a chance to actually fall through the stage.

However, if you were to perform a cinematic finisher while touching the stage geometry, and were moving towards the stage in the air when the finisher activated, you can pass through the stage, likely due to the stage collision reactivating a frame after animations are restored. Cinematic finishers are also kind of inaccurate in that they sometimes happen even when the opponent can DI to save themselves or sometimes will happen when it wasn't quite a clean KO. Depending on your character of choice and the amount of vertical jump options you had left, this can cost a player a deserved victory if both players are on the last stock. Final Smashes can also potentially exhibit the same behaviour, as a fun fact.

Although the likelihood of this happening is rare, in tournaments or otherwise, I still feel like it could cause potential problems if it did happen in a tournament, and figured it would be good to spread awareness so people can at least discuss what should be done if this ever happens in a tournament.

ZeRo ran into the glitch in one of his streams, so here's a video example.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

I will update the the thread title if it's ever patched completely or if Cinematic Finishers become toggleable, but as of the current version (Ver 1.2.1), this bug is present.

Last edited:

Untouch

Smash Master
That isn't because of cinematic finishers, it's a problem with stage collisions, the same problem has been spotted happening in Lylat.
You can clip at vertexes, it's difficult and doesn't happen very often.

Unless I'm wrong and it's a different glitch, I've only seen this happen twice (both these cases).

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
That isn't because of cinematic finishers, it's a problem with stage collisions, the same problem has been spotted happening in Lylat.
You can clip at vertexes, it's difficult and doesn't happen very often.

Unless I'm wrong and it's a different glitch, I've only seen this happen twice (both these cases).
I saw that one too but I was checking through the replies in ZeRo's tweet and some people were saying it's a problem with Cinematic Finishers for most stages. I also know for sure that the same is true for Final Smashes as I have experienced that myself. It seems that they just disable stage collision while the effect is happening.

Lylat is a special case though, it's had wonky collision since Brawl IIRC.

Though I'll keep the thread around regardless so anyone with conclusive findings (such as an actual datamine of collision data on the stages or a comprehensive look at how Cinematic Finishers work) can post their information. There is only so much we can deduce from Twitch clips, I think.

FanGoH

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-0717-4583-9400
Thank you very much for posting this info, definitely worth knowing, and better try it out. Hope it gets patched soon

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Thankfully, it happened on ZeRo's stream and there's literally no better place to get a bug noticed by Nintendo.

Shieldlesscap

Smash Apprentice
Who’s ready for someone to live through a finisher by intentionally being in a position where they just get launched through the stage in order to not get untechable stage spiked.

Arrei

Smash Lord
It should be pretty easy to test if this is actually the case, shouldn't it? All we have to do is recreate the situation while making sure the player delivering the finisher is actively hugging the stage during the attack? Like say, have a Peach, ROB, or similar just hover in position below the ledge then place a killing blow on them while mashing your face into the stage.

The only thing that might make it tricky would be something like, if this only occurs when the character comes into contact with the stage only on the exact frame after the finisher triggers, or something like that... It can't be when touching the stage on the exact same frame, because I've landed a finishing aerial on the very frame before transitioning into the landing animation, to the point the kill cam featured my character already doing the landing animation, scowling menacingly at the foe paralyzed in hitstun instead of doing an actual attack animation.

Last edited:
Top Bottom