• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

game and watch vs peach

milkshake33

Smash Apprentice
y the fack cant i win? the peach i play is a down smash turnip spammer. so u could say he is like every peach. but u cant approach peach like u can others. any move u do she will just crouch cancel and downsmash! i have approached with f-air, b-air and i just cant key at low percentages because she goes no where. i take my time moving running wavedashing wavelanding back and forth waithing for a time to punce, but i just cant get a hit without getting downsmashed. u cant l-cancel his f-air which makes it worse!!! i try and approach with the parachute but all priority is above u!!!!!! so please help me!!!

i know its alot so just sum it up. :)

Cinder

Smash Master
Actually, his F-air is one of the two you CAN L-cancel...
You said she spams turnips, right? Try catching one...idk how much good it'd do, but it's worth a shot...
Maybe you could come at her with an f-air, fall short, and grab her if she falls for it...idk if that would work, jus' throwin' ideas out...

milkshake33

Smash Apprentice
anything helps. thanks. and im gonna have to practice the f-air l cancel. whats the other u can l cancel. ive only been playin him for 2 days (JOHN!!)

Cereal Rabbit

Smash Lord
I've played against a few Peaches who spam turnips and down smash.
What you do is:
1) Grab those turnips
2) Don't crouch (Holding Down)
3) NEVER ROLL DODGE WITH G&W, especially not towards Peach.
4) Down Thrown ~> N-Air FTW

I lose to those kinds of Peaches also LOL!!!! I'm still trying to figure out the perfect strategy for defeating one other than SHL Spamming with Falco.

Galt

Smash Journeyman
As it happens, I was just playing this match with Xelic earlier, and it's not rare for us, so I'll tell you my thoughts on it.

If the Peach player is anywhere near your skill level, at all, you shouldn't be able to win this match.

And that's all. G&W is a really bad character, and Peach is excellent at showing you exactly why that is. G&W's skill isn't in fighting on the stage, it's in edgeguarding, which he does rather well. But he can't edgeguard Peach, and if he tries, he'll probably get KO'd. Conversely, Peach can edgeguard G&W far more easily/safely than most characters can. Just a simple turnip can knock you 6 feet from the edge, and that's enough to prevent you from being able to recover. And she has plenty of other huge advantages. This match, for me, is much harder than Sheik or Falcon. I'd probably set it as G&W's... third or fourth hardest, assuming Falco and Marth to be above her for sure (some people say G&W does well against Falco, but I assure you, that isn't the case).

What can G&W do to hurt Peach? All G&W players should be adept at faking an approach, for any matchup. You can't really approach, because it's too slow/predictable, so you have to pretend, and capitalize when your opponent reacts. Mindgames are your only option, of course. Your only reliable kill on Peach is your f-smash, but you'll have trouble getting it in. Never roll. You should probably avoid edge-hopping an f-air in general. Space with f-tilts, retreat constantly. Get in grabs whenever possible.

There's not really much to say about this matchup, because it's too stupid.

Lag

Smash Journeyman
Hey I've been there too, and spamming turnips hurt. Like Cereal Rabbit said, try catching them if you can. Use mindgames and dodge attacks by wavedashing backwards instead of rolling. Of course watch out for that godly Down Smash, don't Crouch Cancel it. Light shielding helps a little too. Yeah so those are my suggestions, take them or leave them. Haha.

Cinder

Smash Master
^Not that reliable...she can shield the bacon and attack before you get to her to grab...I like what Galt said...just fake him out (basically, what I said, just in better wording...), and use some good mindgames...oh, I got one that might help: all of G&W's throws have identical animation, so you can't tell which way he's gonna throw...take advantage of that by throwing the same way several times, and when she catches on and DI's, change direction...you could make her DI right into a combo...that's assuming you grab her...also, running off the edge and DJing back into a Bair works (according to 56k), and remember: people tend to underestimate the Dsmash...charge it...when she rushes in (she'll assume it's weak and won't do much damage if she misses), let go...the right hitbox could leave a mark:p

That's all I got...and I got most of it from this post: http://smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=3195864&postcount=14
I hope this helps...

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
Yay glad my advice could help people. :)

I'd rather fight a Marth than a Peach, that's how bad this matchup is...

Bair is good against Peach...that's all I got lol. Maybe utilt. You gotta have good spacing in this matchup, too. Last Peach I played with G&W I got 4-stocked XD, this is one of those matchups where you should just choose a different character to save yourself from the misery.

milkshake33

Smash Apprentice
cool, thanks everyone for the advice, ive come to the conclusion to............ play a different character lol. if im starting out at a disadvantage, why play the match........ uless to show you are uber superior!!!! being serious i do appreciate it and ive got all the info i need!

case and thread closed.

ShuffleTrain

Smash Journeyman
^Not that reliable...she can shield the bacon and attack before you get to her to grab...I like what Galt said...just fake him out (basically, what I said, just in better wording...), and use some good mindgames...oh, I got one that might help: all of G&W's throws have identical animation, so you can't tell which way he's gonna throw...take advantage of that by throwing the same way several times, and when she catches on and DI's, change direction...you could make her DI right into a combo...that's assuming you grab her...also, running off the edge and DJing back into a Bair works (according to 56k), and remember: people tend to underestimate the Dsmash...charge it...when she rushes in (she'll assume it's weak and won't do much damage if she misses), let go...the right hitbox could leave a mark:p

That's all I got...and I got most of it from this post: http://smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=3195864&postcount=14
I hope this helps...

....I was kidding. :dizzy:

alphameric

Smash Ace
The matchup sucks.
If the peach likes to float/float-cancel alot, fire a single bacon to knock her out of it. Just don't be within her striking range when you do it.

Other than that, turtle dancing is good and catching is crucial unless you can avoid everything.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
Fair To Downtilt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yeah but if she cc-dsmashes the fair, then you end up crouch canceling the dsmash because you're holding down to dtilt :dizzy:

This matchup's also pretty bad because it removes one of G&W's best moves, the dtilt. There's a massive risk of taking 70-80 damage if you know what I mean. It also removes G&W's excellent cc options.

Me14k

Smash Lord
Rolling vs peach is a necesity with GW's sheild.

Peach's will attempt to float cancel a fair/bair on your shield the dsmash immediatly. After the fair/bair you have 1-2 frames to roll away from the peach, avoiding dsmash through sheild.

rough matchup...

I turnip alot as a peach...the best way to get through it is the way falcon does with nairs, your fair knocks away teh turnips, so shffl fairs in order to ward of the turnips.

Me14k

Smash Lord
I know game and watch's sheild is utter crap, but rolling starts movement once in sheild faster than WD out of sheild.

you wont be able to WD out of sheild after Float canceled fair by peach, a roll is plausible, and by rolling you wont get dsmashed.

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
Interesting... I usually switch to GaW against Peach because my primary main is IC.

Still, this match is rough.

Galt

Smash Journeyman
I've been thinking of a bit of anti-Peach theory lately with G&W, based on my loads of experience with Xelic, but I haven't had an opportunity to test it lately, what with the winter break and all. The basic idea is to use anti-air bacon (I've come to a conclusion: it's bacon on the stage, and sausage when used to edgeguard) to counter the float and space with b-airs. Lots of retreating f-airs and things of that sort. Probably also f-tilts, and fewer d-tilts until it gets into a killable range. I've also been thinking about changing up the usual pattern, and instead of jab > d-tilt or grab, jab > d-air. This is generally assuming against Peach that the jab will be shielded or CC'd, so approaching on the ground out of the jab isn't terribly safe.

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
I'd agree with anti-air bacon if the move itself weren't so laggy.

Also against Peach, I tend to choose platformed stages because his Bair seems really effective against her and edge-cancelling bairs is the only way to kill the lag. Also, platform tech-chasing is hot stuff.

Catching turnips for me is VERY helpful. I've carried a skill over from my Young link(Why am I not using Ylink against PEach? I dunno) that I use when I have a turnip. NEVER THROW THE TURNIP WHILE STANDING. Too much lag. I always Shorthop -> Turnip throw into a waveland follow-up. If she sheilds the turnip, that's a grab. If she's hit, it's a Dtilt or a Dair(my preferred move in that situation).

Disclaimer: I SUCK at this game. Following my advice will probably get you *****.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
Can you ftilt or utilt turnips? I haven't played a good Peach in a while but if you can, I suggest that too.

BTW Bair is EXTREMELY good against Peach. Yes it's been said it it's that important lol

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
Can you ftilt or utilt turnips? I haven't played a good Peach in a while but if you can, I suggest that too.

BTW Bair is EXTREMELY good against Peach. Yes it's been said it it's that important lol
I'm 100% sure that you can Ftilt turnips but the move's so laggy. Utilt's a safer bet. You can also jab them. Actually, I think any of your moves can stop turnips.

Question, I know that GaW's Jab clanks with the Dress. Does the move come out around the same time? I'd say that's your safest bet if you screw up spacing an aerial and she crouch cancels it.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
you have to space correctly. Make sure only the tip of your forward smash hits her so she can't get you with the down smash. Also, grabs can't be CC so try to get one in when she's at low percentages. Don't be agressive, let her come to you. If she spams turnips wait for her to take one out and hit her when she's stuck in that animation. ALSO, try Full jump to D-air over her. If she doesn't jump into it just Di back and land away from her. If she tries to rush in and hit you, shield grab.

Dub. G

Smash Rookie
yeah i can feel your guy's pain on the peach subject. My bro is a Peach player and he does what every other peach player does. Quite annoying!!! Im glad they have a thread like this so i can apply these tips to taking out my brother. Thanks all.

oh, and if anyone can answer this, that would be great, i heard Bair 's are good against Peach to keep away, but since you cant L cancel his Bair, how can you do it effectively whthout him being too slow?

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
oh, and if anyone can answer this, that would be great, i heard Bair 's are good against Peach to keep away, but since you cant L cancel his Bair, how can you do it effectively whthout him being too slow?
Pick a platformed stage and edge cancel the Sh*t outta them. Also, doing these out of full hops auto-cancels them and allows you to follow up with a DJ -> aerial.

Top Bottom