• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Funen1's Smash Backcountry Climb - Unfavorable Conditions

Funen1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Funen1
Link to original post: [drupal=918]Funen1's Smash Backcountry Climb - Unfavorable Conditions[/drupal]

My latest college semester is long over, and I have since returned to my home in Manhattan, NYC. Winter break and the time shortly before have been eventful, and at the same time uneventful. My last week in Minnesota (finals week) was arguably the hardest week I ever experienced in my undergraduate career (seven tests across five straight days, with six finals and one last "midterm"), but I was well rewarded with straight A's and B's in all classes, plus an exciting, 6-night trip to San Francisco! No, it's not anything from a game show, it was a visit to the American Geophysical Union (AGU) Fall Conference to present research I conducted over the previous summer. Between the city's generally confusing mass transit system, intriguing historical landmarks, hilly streets that vaguely reminded me of my hellish geology field camp last year, my first true glimpse into the community of professional geology, and my first earthquake (a small tremor I felt while waiting for a shuttle out of the airport) I had a good time overall.

Unfortunately, that would be the majority of my fun during my time away from Minnesota. None of it would seem to spread to competitive Smash for me. You may already know that the NYC Smash scene isn't exactly the most happenin' one out there, and it doesn't help that whatever events are out there are held either after I leave for college or in not-so-good neighborhoods (places I wouldn't want to go by myself late at night). I'm praying I find something in Manhattan before I go, but I'm not holding my breath. If only I had the means (i.e. proper money, network connections with a potential venue, and much more time spent living in NYC), I would probably set up an event myself.

Of course, if I were to play Brawl against someone during winter break, I would be extremely rusty. Why? Because I left my Wii, and thus Brawl, in Minnesota, mainly due to security concerns during my time in San Francisco. I may be motivated to try Melee just for the purpose of maintaining whatever Smash skills I have (despite the noticeable difference in the games' playing styles), but for the most part I'll be playing Sonic Unleashed and Mass Effect for the next two weeks to keep myself busy.

Perhaps it is my current lack of participation in competitive Brawl (for reasons I wish weren't true) that made me delay this blog - an absence from the scene that expanded to my involvement on SWF, considering I have nothing of Smash-related value to update on. I imagine this situation will continue until I return to Minnesota, where I will try to get back in touch with fellow Brawlers, so don't expect another update until late January or so. Hopefully these conditions will change then, allowing me to really play Smash once again. Until next time, see you later.

Top Bottom