• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

From C.Falcon to Mario

SamStark

Smash Rookie
NNID
samueldelsolar
Hello everyone,

I just created an account so this is my first post in these forums. I'm a new player who has only played about 500 matches in FG and maybe been playing the game for about 2 months, so you would be right in assuming that I still suck at this game. However, I play Dota competitively so I have a pretty decent work ethic and understanding of what it takes to become good at a game. I have watched a lot of ssb4 tournament matches on Youtube, I have read guides for most characters, I have saved and rewatched a lot of replays, and I have spent quite a bit of time on practice mode trying to understand some advanced techs. I still need the most fundamental thing though, which is experience.

I main Falcon because I used him in N64 so he feels familiar. I'm somewhat okay with him and can probably keep around 60% win rate on FG (I know, FG is not that good but w/e). However, I still think it is too early for me to decide who will be my main. I want to explore an learn other characters just so I have a better understanding of the game.

I'm not here to ask for specific advice on moves or strategies. I can find those in the stickies. I'm here to ask you guys if you can comment on some of the assumptions that I have about Mario, and tell me if I'm right or wrong in thinking this way.

So here we go:

1. Mario is an all-around character so he is not the best in any particular department, but he is decent in all of them, which makes him a character that is flexible enough to solo a tournament with.

2. Mario is not as tech heavy as some of the rest of the cast. He is relatively easy to learn so he would be a nice pick up for a beginner like me.

3. Mario would be a good switch for me (As a falcon player) against characters that use projectiles

4. Mario is good at racking up damage and creating combos, but he can have a hard time killing people (Similar to Shiek?) Is his killing potential lower than Falcon?

5. I feel like I have a really difficult time punishing people with Falcon. If their move goes past my shield or pushes my shield back, I can never grab them because of his dash grab going too far. Also his moves have a lot of frame lag so I end up wasting opportunities. On the other hand, Mario can get pushed back and then run to people and grab them or use some of his quick attacks to punish opponents much more easily. Is this true?

6. I use my c-stick for smash attacks. I feel like I can do run up-smashes, turn around smashes, and down smashes much more easily with it. But I have heard that some people prefer to use them for tilts as Mario relies a lot on them. Does using the c-stick for tilts makes it easier to play Mario? Are his aereal combos easier to control when you use the c-stick?

Thank you so much in advance for taking the time to comment :)

FUEGO!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MontyRattata
1. Correct, but these days he's seen as a top tier by many

2. Having good tech skill will benefit any character, but to do well at actual tournaments, you should know the advanced maneuvers Mario can pull off.

3. He has cape, so I guess your logic works for this.

4. Killing potential lower than Falcon? Not if you're good at him. He does require some read heavy gameplay, but his framedata allows him to get a way with a lot, so it's pretty easy to get kills imo.

5. Yes, like i said in the previous answer, Mario's framedata allows him to get away with a lot.

6. there is no right answer for this. I prefer tilts on C-stick because I've done it for so long, but honestly it doesn't matter. DunnoBro likes to say that C-stick for Smash attacks is optimal for revers JC upsmashs, but I think they're easier the normal way myself. So it's literally whatever you like best. Most of Mario's aerial combos require a full hop be used while buffering the aerial, and this is hard with a C-stick for me personally, so I don't use it for aerials, really only for easy tilts.

I hope this doesn't get taken down, because it COULD have been posted in the Social Mario sticky thread up top, but You're new, and had no idea. Welcome to Smashboards! :D

Top Bottom