• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Friggin Falco!

KokiriKing

Smash Cadet
Every time I play someone who plays falco (or fox) since I use bombs and projectiles alot he just deflects them right off with his shine and it hits me instead. What do you think is the best way to defend against it.

Jash

Smash Lord
Another reason why you shouldn't spam projectiles all the time. Falco is my second easiest character to fight so this is what i do. Every Falco does the same stupid Dair to Shine combo so this should be a little advantage for you. Now when hes doing that combo, don't try to shield grab, if they L Cancel they are going to hit you with the shine *Falcos shine has 1 frame hitbox when starting*. Try to secretly dodge the Dair by wavedashing, rolling, etc. I wouldn't recommend sidesteping either. Catch falco in Young Links Chain Grab from 0 to 30. Catch him with alot of Shield UpB's, mostly every falco is mindlessly agressive so this would work. Now when the falco is out of the ring always Nair him if hes too close. Hes not very hard to kill, just watch his movement quickly and react just as quick.

ximrekcuf

Smash Apprentice
Yah just dont throw as much, or if oyu have time throw your bommerang behind you, and dont catch it, this seems stupid and it is, but I bet he wont see it coming. Also instead of throwing bombs, just drop them behind you as your jumping, not really to hit him just to help your run away. I suppose you could hold a bomb until it is about to explode and then throw it so it explodes as it is hitting his shine. I'm pretty sure that would work though I dont know many oppurtunities that you could have holding a bomb for that long.

Kanzaki

Smash Champion
Drop or throw a bomb on top of his shine. The reflect will make it go straight up, then back down, hitting him. Since he reflected, he'll be stuck in that spot for a while, if he tries to jump cancel, he still gets hit by the bomb. You can even get him trapped Upsmashes, which could do from 60-100 damage if they suck at DI-ing.

Laijin

Smash Hero
Another reason why you shouldn't spam projectiles all the time. Falco is my second easiest character to fight so this is what i do. Every Falco does the same stupid Dair to Shine combo so this should be a little advantage for you. Now when hes doing that combo, don't try to shield grab, if they L Cancel they are going to hit you with the shine *Falcos shine has 1 frame hitbox when starting*. Try to secretly dodge the Dair by wavedashing, rolling, etc. I wouldn't recommend sidesteping either. Catch falco in Young Links Chain Grab from 0 to 30. Catch him with alot of Shield UpB's, mostly every falco is mindlessly agressive so this would work. Now when the falco is out of the ring always Nair him if hes too close. Hes not very hard to kill, just watch his movement quickly and react just as quick.
But dude, you can use projectiles to your advantage especially if they reflect them at you. When a projectile hits his shine, it will leave him stunned for a for moments. Its pretty easy to tell when he is gonna shine your projectiles too usually..so knowing this, you can easily dodge your own projectile and produce a counter attack.
Falcos are pretty easy to kill. If they don't sweetspot the edge, you can easily d-tilt spike them. Falco is also pretty light, so d-smashes work well too. His recovery is pretty bad, so don't forget to use n-air to edge guarding for when they try a vertical recovery.

RPK

Smash Lord
Not sure if this works since I dont play Y.Link that much. But cant you just walk up to him with a bomb, throw it at him and just stand still having the bomb just bounce off your shield and right back at him.

ºOblivionº

Smash Journeyman
Wow this is a really good post.... man you've came along way jash.

D20

Smash Lord
Could I please see a video of YL chaining Falco from 0-30?

I'm not doubting, I just want to see how it is done/how hard it is.

PDOT

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4871-5506-0357
Agreed Lai, Falco(n) is gay.

I used to hate shiek aswell but I've got better vs her.

How the f does one fight an agressive marth though.

Oh and a spamming Samus takes too much thinking to Vs.

Jash

Smash Lord
It can't be done. Chain grabbing Falco....
It can't be done? Are you doubting me Laijin? If you can do it Fox you can most definitely do it to Falco, its definitely not hard to do either. Watch my combo video and you will see me Chain grabbing Fox. It does take a little timing though but you would get use to it.
Beating Falco can be tough with Young Link, but it all takes spacing and perfect timing. 3 words.....Up Air *****....that is all.

ºOblivionº

Smash Journeyman
It can't be done? Are you doubting me Laijin? If you can do it Fox you can most definitely do it to Falco, its definitely not hard to do either. Watch my combo video and you will see me Chain grabbing Fox. It does take a little timing though but you would get use to it.
Beating Falco can be tough with Young Link, but it all takes spacing and perfect timing. 3 words.....Up Air *****....that is all.
So how do you manage to bypass the short hop laser spam ?

Jash

Smash Lord
So how do you manage to bypass the short hop laser spam ?
The Short Hop Laser spams are the least of your problems with Falco. Theres no trick to it, just jump to him with a Bomb in your hand. If he tries to attack you in midair, throw or drop the bomb on him into a Up or Down air. Its very simple actually.

PDOT

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4871-5506-0357
The Short Hop Laser spams are the least of your problems with Falco. Theres no trick to it, just jump to him with a Bomb in your hand. If he tries to attack you in midair, throw or drop the bomb on him into a Up or Down air. Its very simple actually.
^ If the falco is good it will never be that simple imo.

Ryan-K

Smash Master
It's never "that simple" which is why you never rely on just one option. He was showing an example because afaik noone ever really does that except him.

But I agree because I would be more worried about falco's pressure game more than lasers.

Jash

Smash Lord
It's never "that simple" which is why you never rely on just one option. He was showing an example because afaik noone ever really does that except him.

But I agree because I would be more worried about falco's pressure game more than lasers.
Agreed, Falco's pressure game can be extremely difficult to by pass. For me, thats what makes a Falco tough. But a Falco without good pressure game is simple. Gimping Falco with Young Link is the easiest thing ever imo.

Switchblades

Smash Apprentice
Oh and a spamming Samus takes too much thinking to Vs.
Not really, all you need to know about a spamming Samus as YL is this : ALL of your projectiles block ALL of hers.

If you know what you are doing, you can easily out-spam a spam happy Samus :laugh:

Jash

Smash Lord
Not really, all you need to know about a spamming Samus as YL is this : ALL of your projectiles block ALL of hers.

If you know what you are doing, you can easily out-spam a spam happy Samus :laugh:
You shouldn't spam on a spamming Samus, You should let her spam all she wants and come in with your Ultra Young Link combos. When you spam, your not the man, when you throw, your on a roll. hahaha what do i know, im just a kid.:laugh:

LoOshKiN

Smash Journeyman
Jash, I was watching your match against Ryan K's Falco (nice match by the way, it was close) and in the beginning when he was pillaring you I noticed you didn't always tech and it got me thinking: When is a good time not to tech when fighting a falco? Sometimes when you just hit the ground it threw him off I guess, or gave you a fresh start, but there were times when he followed up and comboed you from the ground.

Is deciding when to tech and not to tech just guessing like tech chasing, or is there a certain method you try to follow?

Jash

Smash Lord
Jash, I was watching your match against Ryan K's Falco (nice match by the way, it was close) and in the beginning when he was pillaring you I noticed you didn't always tech and it got me thinking: When is a good time not to tech when fighting a falco? Sometimes when you just hit the ground it threw him off I guess, or gave you a fresh start, but there were times when he followed up and comboed you from the ground.

Is deciding when to tech and not to tech just guessing like tech chasing, or is there a certain method you try to follow?
Only things you got to know is when to roll, how to space, and timing your stuff. Falco is a bird and he likes to fly a lot, and he likes people to fly with him. Its Fly vs Sword, once he flies you should know what to do. Also Teching and not Teching is all about using your head. Listen to instinct and it will tell you what to do.:laugh:

Chip.

you know what to do
You shouldn't spam on a spamming Samus, You should let her spam all she wants and come in with your Ultra Young Link combos. When you spam, your not the man, when you throw, your on a roll. hahaha what do i know, im just a kid.:laugh:

Projectiles are something you'll probably want to have in my opinion. Why?

Well, boomerang spamming will clash with missiles pretty simple and you can Catch-Reload-Unleash-Boomerang again (a.k.a. CRUB'ing :chuckle:). CRUBing is used when as soon as you catch the boomerang, you release it AS SOON AS POSSIBLE and he keep repeating it. Only use this against Samus when you both are far away from eachother and are having a spam war; this will be the only way to approach her thus otherwise. CRUBing is most often faster to get out than Samus can use her Missles . . . and if you're close enough, and you have a bomb in your hand, then you can throw it at Samus after a missle and boomerang collide. If you hit with the bomb, then it's time for comboing son >=)

Chip.

you know what to do
I've played Aftermath of Washington and Patooty of Canada and they both are incredible Samus (mainly Patooty, but Aftermath has placed well at 0C3 and Super Champ Combo too), with three projectiles - to - one, young Link's spam almost completely overrides her's.

IMHO, the spam helps

edit-EastcoastWes is pretty rusty too, he's only been to one major tourney to my knowledge which was Evo World recently.

Jash

Smash Lord
I've played Aftermath of Washington and Patooty of Canada and they both are incredible Samus (mainly Patooty, but Aftermath has placed well at 0C3 and Super Champ Combo too), with three projectiles - to - one, young Link's spam almost completely overrides her's.

IMHO, the spam helps
Like i said...play DaWes.

Chip.

you know what to do
Trust me, I've played these Samus and spamming at the beginning of the match to approach is a good idea IMO. Otherwise, I don't see how you approach if the Samus is missle-canceling on the platforms XD that is if you're nairing/ dash attack through missles which leaves you lag and Samus can punish.

Like I said, Wes is pretty rusty but Patooty is probably just as good. He's ranked 4 in Canada or somthin (to my knowledge)

Top Bottom