• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Friendlies VS Tourney/MM Mindset

Protosauce

Smash Cadet
Hey all! I'm looking for some advice on some on how i should play/think differently when playing in a Tournament/MM Set vs a friendly game(or even just practice with your partner).

BG: I grew up as a competitive ski racer untill i was 17, so I have a huge drive to excel and compete. My coaches always told me (i have this ingrained into my brain) "If you dont train the way you race, how are you going to race? You will show up on race day all amped up and ready to go, but when you get on course and your brain is full of adrenaline, you will be revert back to the way you train. Every time. Dont think for a second that you will preform better under pressure than when you have time to think and correct mistakes. At the end of the day, everyone races like they train, and we train to win."

I was thinking about this the other day, and how it directly influences me in how I play and train for PM. When i sit down with my partner or alone or vs anyone at a meetup, i take about 30 seconds to warm up my fingers and get into the groove. But afterwards, I am 100% focused. I use 100% of my tech, I always try and make the best decisions( i <3 option selects/option coverage)make my character move as fast as my fingers can currently manage, try and make every read i can, and just overall play at 100% capacity.

Is that a bad thing? when im playing friendlies in front of the lobby at a local, should i be trying to tone it down? If I know im vs someone who is 'worse' than me, or is thirsty for a win vs me in Pools/Bracket or a MM should i try to slow my play down, not reveal my hand? People always talk about how matchups and knowledge of characters is so important in PM, and a lot of what you're capable of on certain characters is tech+instinct. Senpai AzoraX once recommended that i just play my alts during friendlies/warmup, the same way C9|Mang0 plays alot of Falcon in pools, but i want to be warmed up and at my best with my mains.

TLDR; should i / do you play differently during Important Matches VS Friendlies? How So? What do you find works and doesn't work?

Top Bottom