• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Franchise Representation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nessokman

Smash Lord
As I've said before, it shouldn't be the A-List franchises (Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Mario, Mario MARIO) it should be the lesser series that are put most in smash as it would help they grow in popularity. Have enough A-list characters and the rest be from "smaller" franchises. with that in mind, here are the ones i believe need reps-------->

Mario- HELL TO THE NO! I would like paper mario, but other than that it going to become super mario beat em' up. (Suddenly have urge to suggest that to nintendo) This series was good enough represented in brawl.

DK- Yes sir! This series could use representation.... Nothing more.

Kid Icarus- This wasn't true for brawl, but sakurai added so many things and characters that could be in a smash bros.

Zelda- We could use one more, NO MOAR THAN DAT.....

metroid- freak yesh yesh yesh! D4rk S@mu$! Ridley maybe. (Now going to start writing that as a call me maybe spoof now)

Pokemon- P0ke'manz no need more characters.......

kirby- for a series sakurai started, with alot of games, kirby needs one or 2 moar.

mother- I would like the masked man. 3 reps being the max.

fzero- Add 2 more reps from it.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Imo, Mario, Zelda and Pokémon could use one more character.
DK can have two more without over-representation, but needs at least one.
Metroid needs at least one (Ridley). Same with Kid Icarus (Palutena)

F-Zero and Mother could do with 3 reps each, even if not necessary, but no more than that.
Same with StarFox and Kirby, but 4 instead of 3.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
IF one were to be added (All of them don't really even need one, I guess asides from DK and metroid)
Mario - Bowser Jr or Paper Mario. Paper Mario could bring an original moveset with using the partners in a way different to Pokemon Trainer; especially since he would be fighting alongside with them.
Yoshi - Kamek or bust.
Wario - Syrup, Mona, or bust.
Zelda - No need for changes, but if we were to get one, I like the idea of Impa or Toon Zelda/Tetra the most.
Pokemon - No need for changes; just throw Mewtwo back on. With or without his new form (Or the other as a costume)
Kirby - "The magic conch shell says: Nothing"
Star Fox - Krystal or bust
Mother - Masked Man or bust
Metroid - Ridley or bust
DK - K. Rool, nothing else. MAYBE Dixie by the stretch of the imagination; though I kinda don't want her to join with Diddy. I'm conflicted. It's weird because I can see Paper Mario being different but I see that being too ice climber esque
F-Zero - Samurai Goroh. If another game comes out, maybe Black Shadow wouldn't be all so bad, especially since he could take Ganon's moveset. If Him/Masked Man happen I'd be okay for that; one for one
Fire Emblem - Roy's our boy guys. His new costume looks fantastic from Awakening, but if he doesn't take that, I'd rather Chrom/My Avatar/Lucina. It's really up there for me but as long as we get three FE characters and the last one isn't ridiculous I'm okay
Kid Icarus - Palutena. Done.

And the only new series I could see getting two characters would be Golden Sun.

Done.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Personally, I'm not sure if existing franchises should get more characters, or if most of the new slots should go to new franchises. I want both, but I think there'd be too many characters.

Franchises are listed by number of character slots, not number of newcomers. For example, the Metroid series would have three slots; Samus + 2 newcomers.
---

Mario: 5 character slots, like in Melee. (either Bowser Jr., Waluigi, or Paper Mario)

Yoshi: two slots. (either Kamek or the Baby Bros.)

Wario: deserves at least one newcomer. (Captain Syrup)

Zelda: possibly 5 (not sure about newcomers)

Pokemon: possibly 5 (not sure about newcomers; N? Zoroark?)

Metroid and F-Zero: At least 2 or 3 slots. They deserve it after being with Smash since the beginning, and both series seem about the size of Star Fox. (Ridley, Dark Samus, (or Sylux), Goroh, Black Shadow (or Deathborn))

DK: 3 slots. (K Rool)

Kirby: possibly 4 slots.

Star Fox has enough slots (3), but I wish I could have Krystal without replacing any characters.

Mother: Two slots seems like enough, but I'd really like to have Pokey Minch playable.

Pikmin: Not sure if it should get a second slot or not, but there's Pikmin 3 in the works...

Fire Emblem: Needs 3 slots, or possibly even 4, when you consider how varied the cast is.

Kid Icarus: A second slot seems very likely, with Uprising being made by Sakurai and all. (Paultena? Magnus? Orcos? Medusa? Hades?)

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I think all the series from 64 need more than 1 character slot.

Mario - maybe 1 more
DK - 2 more
Yoshi - 1 more
Wario - 1 for warioware and 1 for wario land. so 2.
Zelda - 1 more
Metroid - 2 more
Kid Icarus - 1 more
Kirby - MAYBE 1 more. MAYBE.
Pikmin - 1 more
Star fox - 1 more ONLY IF starfox gets a new game announced at E3, then maybe.
F-Zero - 1 or 2 more
Pokemon - Bring back all previous characters, and it's good like that. so maybe 1 or 2 more.
Fire Emblem - 2 more
Earthbound - 0 more.
Sonic - maybe 1 more, but the series is fine with 0.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I don't want to play as damn franchise symbols, I want to play as the best characters REGARDLESS OF WHAT FRANCHISE THEY ARE FROM!!!
I think all the series from 64 need more than 1 character slot.

Mario - maybe 1 more
DK - 2 more
Yoshi - 1 more
Wario - 1 for warioware and 1 for wario land. so 2.
Zelda - 1 more
Metroid - 2 more
Kid Icarus - 1 more
Kirby - MAYBE 1 more. MAYBE.
Pikmin - 1 more
Star fox - 1 more ONLY IF starfox gets a new game announced at E3, then maybe.
F-Zero - 1 or 2 more
Pokemon - Bring back all previous characters, and it's good like that. so maybe 1 or 2 more.
Fire Emblem - 2 more
Earthbound - 0 more.
Sonic - maybe 1 more, but the series is fine with 0.
So 14 minimum, 19 maximum new characters=??? That's 53-58 total characters if no one gets cut, not including if we re-add characters, which may or may not be re-added to this list/number. That's a crap ton of characters, and we're not gonna get that many.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I don't want to play as damn franchise symbols, I want to play as the best characters REGARDLESS OF WHAT FRANCHISE THEY ARE FROM!!!

So 14 minimum, 19 maximum new characters=??? That's 53-58 total characters if no one gets cut, not including if we re-add characters, which may or may not be re-added to this list/number. That's a crap ton of characters, and we're not gonna get that many.
my list was for how many characters individual series should get to represent their franchise. obviously not all will get represented as much as they should be.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
my list was for how many characters individual series should get to represent their franchise. obviously not all will get represented as much as they should be.
That's a heck of a lot of characters bro.

And on top of that, we play as characters, not franchise. Sure, the character's history and their franchises' impact is a huge reason characters get in (see: Ness and Lucas, both of whom were in cult classic games in the same franchise), but c'mon: a character's uniqueness should ultimately be the determining factor into why they are playable or not once all of those check marks are listed.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
That's a heck of a lot of characters bro.

And on top of that, we play as characters, not franchise. Sure, the character's history and their franchises' impact is a huge reason characters get in (see: Ness and Lucas, both of whom were in cult classic games in the same franchise), but c'mon: a character's uniqueness should ultimately be the determining factor into why they are playable or not once all of those check marks are listed.
yup, but that's not the purpose of the thread.:laugh:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
yup, but that's not the purpose of the thread.:laugh:
It doesn't state that. It states which franchises need more reps, when characters in smash represent nothing but themselves.

However, I agree with what I think you are saying, which is that it shouldn't be the purpose of this thread.

Now if we're talking about "which franchises do you think could use new characters" (instead of "representatives"), then you have a legitimate conversation.

Maybe I misread the thread or the OP wrote one word and meant another, but that's how I translated it as.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Mario - 1 more at most. Considering it's the largest video game franchise in existence, I don't see an issue with its representation. Someone like Bowser Jr. or Paper Mario would complete the cast.
Donkey Kong - At least 1 more. For being such a big franchise, it certainly lacks characters. King K. Rool for sure, maybe Dixie as well.
Yoshi - None. While it's certainly a veteran series, it hardly has any feasible characters that deserve a spot in Smash. Yoshi is fine by himself.
The Legend of Zelda - 1 more at most. Zelda is right up there with Mario in being Nintendo's biggest franchises, having a multitude of excellent games. Toon Zelda or another villain, but no more than that.
Kirby - 1 more at most. Three characters actually seems about right for the Kirby franchise, but it certainly wouldn't feel overinflated to add a fourth and final character. Bandanna Dee is my bet.
Pokemon - 1 more at most. Right up there with Mario and Zelda. Last one like this, I promise. It's simply too huge a series to feel overdone with a fifth character. Mewtwo sounds perfect.
Metroid - At least 1 more. Metroid is extremely underrepresented in Smash Bros. and seriously needs more characters. Ridley is an absolute given, with maybe Dark Samus as well.
Starfox - 1 more at most. Starfox already has a decent amount of characters in ratio to its series. Krystal would fit, but certainly isn't needed.
Earthbound - 1 more at most. Having as many characters as there are games may seem a bit much, but it would completely round off the series with all that it needs (and it's certainly underrepresented in other aspects in Smash). Masked Man or Porky.
F-Zero - 1 more. F-Zero has been around since the NES, yet has only one character. At the same time, it's not exactly an extremely large series to this day. It only needs someone like Samurai Goroh or Black Shadow to feel complete. No more, no less.
Fire Emblem - 1 more at most. 10+ titles is nothing to scoff at, especially when its a series back to the NES days. An inclusion of Chrom, Roy, or some sort of female character would work fine.
Wario - 1 more at most. On the one hand, it has two sub-series with a variety of characters to work with. On the other hand, neither are exactly blockbuster series. Jimmy T., Captain Syrup, Ashley, Mona... Plenty to work with, but nobody especially dying to be added.
Pikmin - None. All the captains in the 3 games have shown equal ability. Olimar is the only one that has appeared in all the games and is fine on his own.
Kid Icarus - 1 more at most. Not that I particularly find Kid Icarus to be a huge series, but the popularity that arose from Kid Icarus: Uprising certainly shows promise that Sakurai will add a character from his game, likely Palutena.
Retro-series - 1 to 2 more. Each game, we have one new revived character and one unexpected character. Ice Climbers, Pit, G&W, and R.O.B. A new NES character like Takamaru or Sukapon would be worth adding, but we don't exactly need more than that. Really though, it's Sakurai's choice in the long run.
Metal Gear Solid - 1 more at most. Only on part of being a huge series with now-veteran status. Raiden or someone else, but no more than 1 on part of being a guest.
Sonic the Hedgehog - 1 more at most. Exact same reasoning with MGS.

As with the whole "we play as characters, not franchises" argument, know that importance to a series and how big a series is takes much higher priority than how unique a character's playstyle would be. If importance wasn't a factor, we'd be seeing a lot more certainly unique characters that have distinct playstyles yet no significance to their games. It'd be a mockery of Smash Bros. if characters like the Crystal King from Paper Mario or Ferrothorn from Pokemon were added simply because they play differently.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
Personally, I don't believe the number of characters is a life or death situation. I believe that how well the series is represented should decide whether or not it gets a new rep, but at the same time, the roster must not be unbalanced. Imo, as long as the big three are the only ones with the highest number of reps, I think the roster is okay in terms of balance. That being said, let's get on with my viewpoints on each series:

Mario - It's not necessary, but I wouldn't mind seeing Paper Mario to represent the RPGs.

Mario Spin-Off: Wario and Yoshi don't need new reps to represent their series' well, so adding a villain to Donkey Kong (pretty much must be K. Rool) makes the most sense.

Zelda: It's not necessary. We have the three main characters and a representative of the other timelines (Toon Link), but Impa would add something new, so she could work.

Pokemon: Adding Mewtwo is pretty much a must, but whether or not Lucario stays is up to them as it could work either way.

Kirby: The only really consistent characters are the ones we have, though Bandanna Dee would be the best choice as a representative of the helpers and generic enemies, imo, so he could make it.

Star Fox: No reason to add another rep whatsoever. Krystal represents the other Star Fox members, but Falco already does that.

F-Zero: Adding Goroh or Black Shadow to represent Falcon's rivals is definitely a good idea as it would fully represent the series.

Mother: A villain is what we'd need to completely represent the series, and Masked Man seems to have the popular vote, so he'd make the perfect final Mother rep, imo.

Metroid: RIDLEY! The Metroids are already represented with the assist trophy, so Dark Samus isn't necessary.

Fire Emblem: This is a huge pain in the neck to represent as there is almost no consistency. Because of this, I don't think a villain is at all necessary. I think having the poster boy, the recent protagonist, and something new (meaning something other than a swordsman) would work best. Life could go on with or without Roy, but I have a way to match this criteria and include him with only three reps, so I support him.

There you have it. This is entirely opinion-based and by no means do I think this is how Nintendo will go about making the game. I just think this method would please the fan-base of each series. I would love to hear feedback! Thanks for taking the time to read! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom