• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Frame perfect MB toss to rar Bair

Wreck33

Smash Journeyman
This needs to be analyzed because after watching Kameme I realized I cant do running frame perfect bairs like him. He connects on the ground forward facing item toss MB from pretty far away to rar bair!!!!! Watch the kill on Void game 3 at EVO. I thought this was only possible using bidou.

I thought I did frame perfect bairs but I cant do this.
What I do when I am going for one is a quick diagonal tap backwards/upwards to not lose momentum and the as quickly as possible go forwards and slide from jump to attack. But its not enough.
I also jc toss the MB and buffer the run in the toss animation. Still not enough.

I think maybe you need to do the movement of the stick to do the rar as I describe it but the speed needs to be perfect pivot speed.

Anybody else have some input on how to perform it?

I can do it no problem from airborne tosses using same tech. But they are more situational and harder to get.

Last edited:

Wreck33

Smash Journeyman
Added! He does it twice in row here. First at 80 then at 100. I have seen him do it on every % from low to 150 ish.

Last edited:

smasher1001

Smash Journeyman
I was noticing the same thing yesterday. Kame seems to connect the blades to bair very consistently at times that I also felt like it wouldn't seem to do so.

3MP1R3

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0259-0579-0472
It's a jump canceled glide toss. For me, I press X to jump then slide my thumb to A to throw it (while holding a direction of course). It lets you throw it with some momentum so you can go right from the toss into a RAR Bair. It's really easy after a few minutes of practice :)

Wreck33

Smash Journeyman
As I wrote in the OP I jc toss the blade already its not it. We all can combo at a certain % but Kame do it on all %. Like it was just a simple thing like a jcgt in that case everybody would be doing it all the time! Jeez open your eyes. I have gotten a respons on the tech its a perfect pivot executed rar thats it. Its just as hard as a standard PP but worse since you do lots of other inputs at the same time.

Last edited:

Wreck33

Smash Journeyman
The same as a PP. You flick the rar the same speed you do a PP. Not impossible to learn but kinda hard to be consistent with. Since beyond the insane speed to do the rar you must hit the x-a slide input for the bair the exact frame not to interupt the frame perfect rar. If you have a good PP controller its easier. For instance my old GC controller can PP no sweat but my smash edition is not so kind on that specific tech.

KrakatoaPower

Smash Rookie
Hey guys I may have got it to work see if this works for you guys cause it has been a true combo for me for every weight class. On light weights (used Puff as an example) combined from 0% to 110%, on medium weights (Mario was example) it was a combo from 75% to 125%, and on heavy weights (Bowser was test subject) it was a window of 20%-%175. Now since I'm not amazing at this yet lets give a 5%-15% window for slightly different weights and di. The way I do this is I assign my left trigger to jump and I have tilt stick on. I use this because tilt stick allows me to keep all my momentum from raring and bumper jumper on the left one so I can do a rising bair so I can as frame perfect as possible. With this button layout you can have a finger assigned to each action so it can be as frame perfect as possible. I hope this helps some of you guys get better at this. I only labbed this for a few hours so it can always be better. Afew side notes: I feel like the mid weight window is bigger so I just need to practice that more, I need to practice against actual people so keep that in mind with this data (but it did true combo), I throw the sawblade about 1-2 character lengths away to get the combo, I didn't jump cancel throw I short hopped and then threw it, it's super easy to get on heavy characters cause their hotboxes are so freaking large, getting a fair at lower percentage is also possible but I have to lab it more (so maybe rising fair to up air is possible off the sawblade)

KrakatoaPower

Smash Rookie
Need to continue alittle more. I don't post on smash boards a lot but I hope this helps. If I find out anything else I will post it. Lastly, my nnid is ronnoc27 feel free to friend request me as I'm on often and I enjoy playing friendlies. Hope this helps again and lab it and see if it works for y'all too I want to know!!!

Wreck33

Smash Journeyman
Shorthop throws dont count I think most people can combo those. Its grounded throws to rar Bairs that we want to be able to do.

KrakatoaPower

Smash Rookie
Shorthop throws dont count I think most people can combo those. Its grounded throws to rar Bairs that we want to be able to do.
Oh my bad. I guess then that's an issue I'll still work on. Really though it's not a huge difference between short hop and no jump metal blade throw.

JesusMorpheus

Smash Cadet
NNID
omar0320
3DS FC
1435-4404-0742
The big difference is that shorthop throws to bair are a lot more situational and obvious if the opponent is aware of it. With grounded blade to bair, it makes it a lot less of inconvenience for us to get the kill quickly and is less obvious to an extent.

It is also far more practical. How many situations do you find yourself in where you throw metal blade toward your opponent while on the ground. Now imagine being able to convert that into a kill at about 75-90%. It sounds far better than having to set up the metal blade with a shorthop.

Shorthopping also requires you commit to that set up to an extent since you have to move forward and if you miss, it could very well cost you your stock or even the game. Finding the answer to this specific combo will give us a very good way of killing at reasonable percents. That's the big difference between a shorthop and grounded blade to bair

Wreck33

Smash Journeyman
I have it down now. It was the execution of the rar as suspected.

Jc toss blade, buffer run, then rar bair.

The motion of the rar needs to be really fast and they way that works for me is to go to the upper corner of the stick just a notch more then neutral position of stick and far from touching the wall. Then super quickly go forwards for the bair.

There is a way to move the stick when u run to do a turnaround without losing momentum forwards and thats what you need that plus you need to input the jump on the same frame as you turn around. If done correctly you have the same speed and travel as far as you would with a Fair.

I was getting alot more sh Bairs in neutral doing this as well. Not something I recomend as option though. But good way to practice it just going for bair when I was on for glory.

Last edited:

Wreck33

Smash Journeyman
Slide from jump to attack so the jump gets canceled. It boosts your forward momentum. Thats the eazy part though. The difficulty is the frame perfect rar. If you are good at PP it should be no sweat.

Sneak Sneaks

Smash Ace
Slide from jump to attack so the jump gets canceled. It boosts your forward momentum. Thats the eazy part though. The difficulty is the frame perfect rar. If you are good at PP it should be no sweat.
Whats the difference with a normal RAR?

Last edited:

Wreck33

Smash Journeyman
If you run and smack the stick backwards you will lose speed and come to a short stop and then your aerial will reach nothing. You should get this its pretty basic understanding. You lose frames doing a 'normal rar' in numerous places plus you wont reach your target. Honestly if you dont understand you need to learn the basics of the game young padawan. I cant really help you with that.

JesusMorpheus

Smash Cadet
NNID
omar0320
3DS FC
1435-4404-0742
At first I read the perfect pivot part as it being necessary, not that if you are good with it it'll be easier. I really need to read more thoroughly. Thankfully playing Fox before Sheik was nerfed helped so i can do this no sweat at all. Takes a bit of getting used to though since the window for the RAR bair is a lot more lenient if you short hop the blade. Should master it in about a couple of hours or a day depending on how much time i have. Great find Wreck33 Wreck33 !

Wreck33

Smash Journeyman
This rar bair tech unlocked new combos for me. I comboed sh nair sweatspot to rar bair. Normally I go for a fair in that situation but thats air dodgeable. The bair is not.

Sneak Sneaks

Smash Ace
This rar bair tech unlocked new combos for me. I comboed sh nair sweatspot to rar bair. Normally I go for a fair in that situation but thats air dodgeable. The bair is not.
Ive got to hit with rar fair after throwing the blade, maybe that can lead to tech situations and jab locks

Wreck33

Smash Journeyman
I have a tip on this tech!

When you do the backwards input from the running you dont have to be fast at all! Its more of moving the stick slowly just to the point where Mega Man dont stop or lose momentum but it registrers the pivot. That way Mega Man keeps on moving forward in run speed only just starting to lose some speed. Like if you run full speed and then slowly start to move the stick the other way it degrades. Find the sweet spot and PROFIT!! Im rar bairing people left and right now.

And as I said the movement is not backwards its backwards and up it helps tons!

Thank me later!

Last edited:
Top Bottom