• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Frame Data For Shortened Side B?

hi im dennis

Smash Apprentice
Hi, I was wondering what the frame data of Falco's shorten side special. I've heard it's frame perfect but I've never actually been told the exact frame or when in the animation you are supposed to tab B again. I'm only able to do it 1/10 times by mashing B.

I also have some other questions...

Uses for shortening other than safer recovery, if there is any.
Is it the same timing as Fox?
Is it possible to shorten it to multiple different lengths or just one? I'm pretty sure in I've seen Mango accidentally use it in melee and it would have killed him but he perfectly canceled it and went no where.

Thanks.

Lizalfos

Smash Master
Hi, I was wondering what the frame data of Falco's shorten side special. I've heard it's frame perfect but I've never actually been told the exact frame or when in the animation you are supposed to tab B again. I'm only able to do it 1/10 times by mashing B.

I also have some other questions...

Uses for shortening other than safer recovery, if there is any.
Is it the same timing as Fox?
Is it possible to shorten it to multiple different lengths or just one? I'm pretty sure in I've seen Mango accidentally use it in melee and it would have killed him but he perfectly canceled it and went no where.

Thanks.
You do it as a recovery mixup and so that you don't have to wait for Falco to hit the wall before he can grab. The timing is different from Fox's. There are many lengths, the same ones as Melee.

You do the input when Falco has started moving, not during the startup. This is why it is frame perfect to get a specific shorten, because the frame you press B again is the one where he stops himself. With lots of practice you can find the rhythm for the shorten. Use a sound cue or a visual cue like when his foot starts to go back to help you. When I'm in good practice I can kinda just anticipate Falco's movement and I instinctively know what timing he gets to the shorten I want.

Honestly though, this tech isn't that important, and the little extra recovery you can squeeze out of it is only worth it if you are already doing the non technical recovery mixups properly, and are minimizing the time you are being edge guarded in the first place. Basically, I would focus on being a smart player mentally and playing a solid neutral punish game. At our skill level we should focus on getting better at the more general problems before learning Triple shine grab out of shield into an invisible floor game crash, because that tech doesn't help us if we can't space or predict our opponent.

hi im dennis

Smash Apprentice
You do it as a recovery mixup and so that you don't have to wait for Falco to hit the wall before he can grab. The timing is different from Fox's. There are many lengths, the same ones as Melee.

You do the input when Falco has started moving, not during the startup. This is why it is frame perfect to get a specific shorten, because the frame you press B again is the one where he stops himself. With lots of practice you can find the rhythm for the shorten. Use a sound cue or a visual cue like when his foot starts to go back to help you. When I'm in good practice I can kinda just anticipate Falco's movement and I instinctively know what timing he gets to the shorten I want.

Honestly though, this tech isn't that important, and the little extra recovery you can squeeze out of it is only worth it if you are already doing the non technical recovery mixups properly, and are minimizing the time you are being edge guarded in the first place. Basically, I would focus on being a smart player mentally and playing a solid neutral punish game. At our skill level we should focus on getting better at the more general problems before learning Triple shine grab out of shield into an invisible floor game crash, because that tech doesn't help us if we can't space or predict our opponent.
thanks

Top Bottom