• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fox's shine jump cancel

budda69

Smash Rookie
Ive been starting to play melee again and am trying to learn how to wavedash out of my shine. I can do it half the time but i can never do it when hitting an enemy. Ive tested it in training, when I shine, and it hits, i cant jump out of it. I don't know if this is supposed to happen or something with my controller? Any advice?

Parts

Smash Rookie
That's hitlag. If you hit someone with an attack there will be be a slight delay before you can do anything. Pretty much you'll have to wait just a little bit longer after your attack to get the muscle memory down.

Pauer

The Pauerful
Yeah. To train the muscle memory, it helps to keep the B (shine) pressed for a long time, then do the wavedash. It can be very slow, like a second between the shine and wavedash. As you get consistent, you can speed it up. Practice for a while and you will notice just how fast you can do it. Also, turning around during the shine takes an extra 2 or 3 frames during which you cannot move. So if that happens, you will need to wait even longer.
In general, and particularly outside of training (matches), try to keep your hands relaxed. Because if you tense up, it's very easy to do the input too fast, especially during a match.

ZombyDyno

Smash Rookie
I think the most important thing for learning tech skill is to first get the feel of pressing all the buttons in order, and as you get more comfortable doing the order of the buttons you can gradually speed them up. Even frame perfect things like jc shine end up becoming easier if you approach it this way. As long as you're getting the motions down and know if you need to do something a little faster or a little slower then you'll eventually get the muscle memory just by feel.

Other people also suggested hitlag, so it could be beneficial to learn if knowing the theory behind how things work is really beneficial to your execution of tech skill and your particular approach to the game, or if you do better and learn more from just doing it by feel alone. I suggest at least trying to learn about some frame data so you can be a bit more certain in how quickly you can wavedash out of shine and when certain moves come out.

Kind of related, but since you're getting back in tot he game you should think about how you hold your controller. I think there are a few videos on different claw methods and it might be interesting to try them out and get a feel for the benefits before you decide on any specific set of muscle memory.

Top Bottom