• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fox's Counterpick Stages

Red Rice

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, sorry if this thread has been made already but

Looks like it's time to hop on the PM wagon. I play Melee fox and he's my safety char when I can't cut it with Pit (studying my Armada/ZeRo vids). I've been to a local PM tourney taking 3rd with just my Melee knowledge but I didn't really know where to CP stages outside of the Melee stages.

Only thing I know is that Lylat sucks lol. So what stages are generally good for Fox?

Foxy K

Smash Journeyman
NNID
foxy_k
Fox likes low ceilings, small blastzones, and small stages, but he's so versatile, he can do well enough anywhere. Keeping the aforementioned three traits in mind, pick against your opponent's likes (so it pays to know what they like). For example, never pick GHZ against an ICs. Or FoD against Peach. Or like Skyworld against Ness (lol). ALWAYS pick Yoshi's Story against Ivysaur (gimps her recovery.... if they don't ban it). Fox is at least 50% knowing the rest of the roster.

Red Rice

Smash Journeyman
Fox likes low ceilings, small blastzones, and small stages, but he's so versatile, he can do well enough anywhere. Keeping the aforementioned three traits in mind, pick against your opponent's likes (so it pays to know what they like). For example, never pick GHZ against an ICs. Or FoD against Peach. Or like Skyworld against Ness (lol). ALWAYS pick Yoshi's Story against Ivysaur (gimps her recovery.... if they don't ban it). Fox is at least 50% knowing the rest of the roster.
I already know that stuff from playing Melee for a long time :L

I'm basically asking, what are the stages with low ceilings like YS. Or what are big stages like PS but with kind of low ceilings, etc.

Starkiller2

Smash Cadet
An amazing counter pick against Squirtle is Skyloft. Assuming he didn't ban it and its allowed in the ruleset (don't know why not), the slope destroys Squirtle's approach game. I go here game 3 in a close last-stock kind of set, and 3-stock the Squirtle. Just stay on the higher side and you can do great.

Rhus

We're going top speed!
I actually don't mind Lylat because I sat there in training and figured out its wonky ledges. :/

I guess I'm a minority though.

PajamasM

Smash Cadet
If it is legal, halberd is a fox's dream pick. The lowest ceiling in the game when not flying (otherwise it is 2nd to yoshi's), decent size when on the halberd itself, shine/grab opponents into the hazards is very effective, platform can stop chain grabs, and can ride up the wall with up b. I don't see how its not that next to perfect for fox.

Otherwise, yoshi's island/story, ps1, ps2 (even though, contrary to popular belief, it has further blastzones then ps1), final if you cant get chaingrabbed in the mu, and distant planet (lower ceilings and tons of space means a free win in certain matchups like jggs). Those are his go to CPs imo.

Also lylat is decent for fox because its a lot harder to get chain grabbed their due to all platforms low to the main one.

Last edited:

Will-O-Wisp

Smash Apprentice
Honestly I've recently picked up Fox, and it feels like he does well everywhere. Just don't pick Dreamland or Skyworld (or ban them), and you'll be fine. Although even on those stages he does ok.

T-Cash

Smash Apprentice
Depends on who your playing if someone kills earlier off the side than you you want to avoid those stages. Ps2, Yoshi Story 2 are go to stages with fox for me because of how effective camping and running away is for me

If your aggressive I'd go to Yoshi Story(melee) for quick kills off the top people also say smash ville helps his recovery. . I don't see it lol

FD. Is also great if you can't get chain grabbed but in pm 50% of the cast has one

I always avoid lylat. Melee battlefield X 100 way to gimp able high ceilings pick this stage only if your confident you won't be gimped

TimYo

Smash Rookie
I actually don't mind Lylat because I sat there in training and figured out its wonky ledges. :/

I guess I'm a minority though.
same here, i train on it with spacies due to its popularity as a counterpick

Last edited:
Top Bottom