• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

fox trot with sonic

Deathwish238

Smash Apprentice
i was messing around in training and sonic can fox trot (im sure 99% of you knew that already) but there's 2 ways that i found out of doing it.

the first one is when you don't give sonic a chance to run its just his dash, u stop, and smash the control stick again and again in the same direction and he slides as if grinding on a rail. but the the problem with this is that i can't change directions, i could only do it one way. again it looks like he's grinding, he has his feet like he would if he would be skateboarding i guess.....

the second one that i found is when you let sonic out of his dash and let him actually start his running animation but you let go of the joy stick that instant if done right he does the screeching noise with his feet and puts them up to stop (like at the end of a Down or Side B on the ground). when he does this you can fox trot the opposite direction no problem but you need to wait more or less about half a second (i don't really know you should just try it out for yourselves) to be able to do it again and again and again. oh and it looks and sounds kewl lol we should change the name just cuz he's sonic XD

idk if this has already been found but its better to be safe than sorry =D i also don't know the ideas anybody could come up with, it could be pretty useful or it might just be a little something that makes sonic that much cooler :D

what i think it could be used for would be mostly for mind games ex) instead of running up and faking to a jump you could run up screech stop (the opponent attacks) and then start running again. idk or maybe other things.

but im pretty sure he's still faster when he runs normally than doing it this way. oh! and watch out for tripping of course. i could do it pretty consistently but i trip sometimes.

*edit i just found out that the first fox trot (grinding) you could just tap the joy stick side to side as if you would be dash dancing but sonic is going to keep on sliding forward its pretty easy and you hardly trip. i think this could be incorporated into sonic's game. but im sleepy now and imma stop trying things out lmao

FrostByte

Smash Lord
You can double tap the second one instead of holding it to go a shorter distance. I'd say the cooldown is about 15-20 frames, about the same as a shield. I don't really like the first method of the foxtrot, you don't have that many options out of it.

The second method works best with fast characters with laggy dash animations, so best with Sonic. Not sure if it should be named as a sonic specific tech as there are a few others that can do it, but It's not as effective.

Dash cancel or Screech stop sounds good.

Edit: I found that you can use the second one at any part of the foxtrot by tilting forward slightly after the dash. I found some uses that are better than a shield cancel as you can turn around while you're screeching and jab, dtilt or Dsmash.

Deathwish238

Smash Apprentice
oh nice! yea i know i like the 2nd better too but the first one is easier to do since you just smash the joy stick back and forth (he goes pretty fast too). i will need to practice that =/ and if you can screech stop to a jab dtilt or a dsmash then that is really really good!

abcde560

Smash Rookie
i was messing around in training and sonic can fox trot (im sure 99% of you knew that already) but there's 2 ways that i found out of doing it.

the first one is when you don't give sonic a chance to run its just his dash, u stop, and smash the control stick again and again in the same direction and he slides as if grinding on a rail. but the the problem with this is that i can't change directions, i could only do it one way. again it looks like he's grinding, he has his feet like he would if he would be skateboarding i guess.....

the second one that i found is when you let sonic out of his dash and let him actually start his running animation but you let go of the joy stick that instant if done right he does the screeching noise with his feet and puts them up to stop (like at the end of a Down or Side B on the ground). when he does this you can fox trot the opposite direction no problem but you need to wait more or less about half a second (i don't really know you should just try it out for yourselves) to be able to do it again and again and again. oh and it looks and sounds kewl lol we should change the name just cuz he's sonic XD

idk if this has already been found but its better to be safe than sorry =D i also don't know the ideas anybody could come up with, it could be pretty useful or it might just be a little something that makes sonic that much cooler :D

what i think it could be used for would be mostly for mind games ex) instead of running up and faking to a jump you could run up screech stop (the opponent attacks) and then start running again. idk or maybe other things.

but im pretty sure he's still faster when he runs normally than doing it this way. oh! and watch out for tripping of course. i could do it pretty consistently but i trip sometimes.

*edit i just found out that the first fox trot (grinding) you could just tap the joy stick side to side as if you would be dash dancing but sonic is going to keep on sliding forward its pretty easy and you hardly trip. i think this could be incorporated into sonic's game. but im sleepy now and imma stop trying things out lmao
lol pointless but it sounds fun to try :)

Deathwish238

Smash Apprentice
i can't :( but im sure other people can. they were talking about it in the glitch and undiscovered techniques of sonic topic so im not the only one that has found this out so other people could do it and if they have video equipment or w/e then they could post it up but i don't =/

Lonewolf10787

Smash Cadet
Can you do me a favor and see how quickly you can get a spin dash going while fox trotting? I'm investigating a strange occurance of someone dash dancing with sonic... while in a spin dash motion.

I definitely can use some more help with this, thread's here: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=156397

Just see how quick you can get a spin dash using your foxtrot technique, and see if you can pull an immediate turn with it-- I'd love to work this into further research.

I'm going to try it as well, I just figured, might as well get the finder involved.

Top Bottom