• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fox or Falco?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
Been switching between them to see whose playstyle and strengths/weaknesses I like more. Im sure many others do this with :p what are your thoughts so far?

Falco has some great ground moves, down-b out of dash/run (basically an alternate dash attack), grab game, jab, and uair/dair/bair, and jump height.
But he is slow. :( And his Nair whiffs often - its easy to escape, leaving the opponent with barely any hitstun and able to hit you out of the rest of the nair. Really punishable and unreliable move.

Fox has great runspeed and dash game, grab game due to great dash grab speed, and aerials, shine stalling, and i like his laser.
But his reflector isnt nearly as useful as falcos for actually reflecting stuff. And his range really sucks - you need to rely on speed to land hits. His smashes seem to be weak killers this time around too. Fsmash is better for building damage so far for me, for example. He also doesnt have any regular spikes other than using fair a certain way.

I also find his jump height lacking - not sure if its worse than Brawl, but it feels worse. Jumping up quickly to land that uair seems very difficult this time around. His bair is also much worse than falcos and much harder to land - it has so few active frames, so you have to land it perfectly yet the hitbox is so tiny.

I'm worried Fox may end up like Brawl Captain Falcon - short range low-priority moves that are easy to outrange and outprioritize.

Last edited:

Weavile's Wrath

Smash Apprentice
Based off of my short time with the game, I gotta go Fox, because Falcos recovery is bad, and Falcos lasers have horrible endlag. That's just me though.

Conda

Based off of my short time with the game, I gotta go Fox, because Falcos recovery is bad, and Falcos lasers have horrible endlag. That's just me though.
Custom moves, man. :p

And falcos recovery is better or at least equal if he has his second jump versus fox with his double jump.

Edit: Something that bugs me, however is that falcos bair lasts way longer, has a larger hitbox and reach, and kills much earlier (15-20% ish earlier). Deals the same damage, minus the late lingering hitbox that does 7% instead of 13% - both fox and falcos do 13, but falcos is undeniably better.

Fox's nair is better, though, as falcos whiffs and is easily escapable.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 269706

I personally have had a harder time fighting against Fox than I have against Falco. That being said, I've only had a few matches against each online, so it's hard to say for sure. My vote goes to Fox for the time being.

Conda

I personally have had a harder time fighting against Fox than I have against Falco. That being said, I've only had a few matches against each online, so it's hard to say for sure. My vote goes to Fox for the time being.
For me the main problem is lack of reach and priority for fox. His tilts and aerials have less range than falcos with shorter hitbox durations, minus nair. All of his attacks kill much earlier than falcos too, or at least the majority of them. Seems fox has to work harder to build damage and kill than falco, who hits more like a truck. Minus nair. I think nair might be fox's only superior attack to falco.

Mighty_Guy100

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mighty_Guy100
For me the main problem is lack of reach and priority for fox. His tilts and aerials have less range than falcos with shorter hitbox durations, minus nair. All of his attacks kill much earlier than falcos too, or at least the majority of them. Seems fox has to work harder to build damage and kill than falco, who hits more like a truck. Minus nair. I think nair might be fox's only superior attack to falco.
Fox has a better d-air, u-smash, u-tilt, and side-b since you can use it similar to brawl falco.

His mobility is much greater than falco's, and while u-smash got nerfed in power again it still kills well.

I would also argue that fox's u-air is superior to falco's too. It can be comboed into and kill.

Conda

Fox has a better d-air, u-smash, u-tilt, and side-b since you can use it similar to brawl falco.

His mobility is much greater than falco's, and while u-smash got nerfed in power again it still kills well.

I would also argue that fox's u-air is superior to falco's too. It can be comboed into and kill.
Falco got a huge usmash buff, id say its better than falcos. It has a longer lasting double hitbox and huts behind him. Fox's whiffs if the enemy js behind you, which is a huge drawback.

Fox's side smash whiffs if characters are too close as well. And it has a shorter hitbox than the graphic suggests.

Uair may be even. Foxs is easy to whiff the second hit with, and falcos has a much larger hitbox and less landing lag.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Sorry Conda. You can post this on the individual character boards or discuss the topic in the stickied competitive character impressions thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom