• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fox learning curve

cmasterchoe

Smash Journeyman
I basically main with pikachu, and play a buncha other characters on the side. Lately I've been trying to master fox and I realized that for some reason its very difficult to do.

I guess it's because i'm used to using such a quick light player, whereas fox is quick but heavier.

So what is the general learning curve for fox? I'm still getting SHDL down (can only do it on occasion) and I can shine cancel also on occasion, but could never figure out how to properly implement it into a game. I've noticed combos like dair,jab,jab,slide-usmash. So i figure i'm smack dab in the middle of the curve.

Whats the curve? and what're some combo's/moves of fox that i should exploit (eg sh uair)

Box_of_Fox

Smash Journeyman
Fox is hard T.T try Dair to D-tilt. That one always annoys me unless I'm playing Luigi...

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
Sometimes your opponent will DI too far ahead for Utilt to actually hit him, whereas Dtilt will still connect. And there's a higher chance that your opponent will shield grab you out of your Utilts than your Dtilts.

_kSo_

Smash Master
dtilt is stronger and used at lower percentages to continue combos. you should also learn SHPL (Short Hop Pivot Laser). So when your dashing away from your opponent, pivot and short hop really quickly and shoot a laser. SHPL is really useful for defensive play, but SHDL is better for offensive, though you can't do it while your sh'ing forward.

Also, dtilt combos 2 times against kirby. so at 0%, 2 x dtilt will combo. With taller characters, try sh dair, sh uair. after the uair, do dtilt and they should pop up high enough to do another shdair. otherwise you have to grab them and end the combo which is kinda lame >_<

cmasterchoe

Smash Journeyman
yeah the problem right now is i play my fox too much like my pikachu, :p so i need to just start a new and stop trying to force a square peg in a round hole

DreDay

Smash Journeyman
My fox = Short hop Up airs

Also practice some stuff on the right side of hyrule Fox is nasty over there.

cmasterchoe

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, i've been the visitor to the house of pain one too many times. From my experience (of getting pwned in the HOP) its basically grab, throw, anticipate the bounce, and then grab again. no?

_kSo_

Smash Master
lol, using CF's backthrow in a combo??:eek: sexy time!
huh, no i thought we were talkin about fox.

but i DO have some cool falcon stuff to show you if you think bthrow in a combo is cool. lol. i'm not one to brag, but i think my falcon's pretty unique. when i want it to be. in tourney i'll do cheap and easy stuff to win. but outside of that i like to be cool :)

Nephiros

Smash Ace
Um, you said jab slide-usmash? LOL

I don't think a jab could knock the other back enough to get a slide-usmash in. And I never use SHDL btw

Umbrasquall

Smash Ace
The b-throw, shorthop f-air, jump n-air/b-air, land on ledge upsmash combo is pretty sweet as well.

Fox is definitely one of the harder characters to play if you're used to playing as pika. But once you get him down his style is completely different. I can beat some characters with fox that I can't beat with pika because of this difference.

Besides, I think fox one of the most fun characters to play because there are just so many things you can do with him, every hit leaves the options open, unlike falcon lol. And it's also more exciting to play as fox because you have to be alert, and stay on the offensive so you can overwhelm your opponent with attacks, or else you're screwed. Characters like pika and link are better played defensively.

cmasterchoe

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for all the input guys, I was also wondering, i've seen in some vids where fox uses his laser as he's falling with his opponent (so that the opponent stays in the air a split second longer) and then hit 'em with the usmash. I think i've also seen it done with mario's fireballs as well. anybody use that a lot here? and any tips on how to perfect it?

Dash_Fox

Smash Ace
Thanks for all the input guys, I was also wondering, i've seen in some vids where fox uses his laser as he's falling with his opponent (so that the opponent stays in the air a split second longer) and then hit 'em with the usmash. I think i've also seen it done with mario's fireballs as well. anybody use that a lot here? and any tips on how to perfect it?
that's not something you should rely on as it is very very situational. The jab to U smash will do you just fine. How to perfect it? Well just try it if you can, and keep trying until you can do it.

That was probably in that nephiros combo video. Remember he had very few of those and he said he recorded A LOT of matches (in hundreds I think) so like I said it's very situational. If you can do it, do it though. :)

Oh and KSO guy I wasn't complaining I was just trying to be funny don't take it seriously.

Nephiros

Smash Ace
Well yea, I just improvise my combos so I don't really remember how I did those, it's very situational indeed. Or maybe you could find a way to pull it off more often by checking these specific combos, especially the hit just before the laser, 'cause I'm too fat to check right now.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
I once short hopped a laser --> Dsmash on Wiston as an edgeguard. This was when I was high on sugar and going insane with button inputs. It's like...a zen moment...before I floated back down to the reality that Falcon Uairs > Fox. I'll get the DI down someday.

_kSo_

Smash Master
lol I was too :)

and it isnt risky at all to try something like that, like if your falling down with an opponent, but they are a bit far to do any other attack i just do laser. usually if your to far to do an attack, so are they. no harm in throwing a few lasers out there. I think that lasers are an important part of fox's game and what makes him so good. lots of mind games can be done with lasers

Edit: And don't call me kso guy.
Its just KSO or KSO[CoV]

Top Bottom